What do you do when you built a club layout for 2 to 4 operators when you're a club of 1?

I'm in a bit of a quandary and I looking for opinions on what to do.

Over the Last 5 years I have built a large 0 gauge layout, Scratchy Bottom, it can vary in length from 16ft to 32ft. And here is my problem I'm a club of one. In its 24ft and 32ft configurations its to big to be erected other than at an exhibition and even when its in its 16ft configuration it takes 2 people to operate it and 4 people at 20ft or 32ft.. To make it work well I'm going to have to rebuild  the traversers and add an extra scenic board so my questions are:

1. Should I do the alterations and hope we start getting invites to shows and then try to rope some people in to help operate?
  2. Or try to sell the lot and start again with something smaller that can be operated by just me?

Marc

• RMweb Gold

I have exactly the same problem as you:  Twice!

My first was meant to be a shunting plank, but evolved into a line that really requires three operators.

The second was an entry into the G0G small layout competition, which ideally needed two operators.

I'm on no 3 at present which is designed to be run by one but could use operators to make life a little less difficult.

I think the main problem is the sheer size of a 7 mm model railway when compared to similar in 4/3/2 mm scales.

Unless you haven't got the space, then I'd hang on to what you've got.  Mine live in their transit crates in the garage and come out for a day if the weather is fine.  Friends come over and we operate.

It's not ideal but it works.  I have operated it on my own, which involves a bit of leg work, but it just seems to operate at real time rather than the compressed time that some model railways seem to operate when exhibited. ( I know, if you don't the audience walks away)

It has made me rethink the positions of my control panel and uncoupling magnet switches.  At present they are remote from each other, so co-locating them on a slightly larger track diagram will reduce the amount of movement I need to make.  I have a long wander lead on the Powercab handset so I can move around quite comfortably. 

Hth

• Like 1

Have you got a viable set-up space for an O scale layout at home? Garage, shed, rarely-used bedroom?

If you have, my suggestion would be to build no bigger than that, and design for home operation with yourself plus one pal when they can visit, and make it possible to take to exhibitions too.

If I were to start my coarse-O garage-sized layout again, I'd take the time to make it removable for the odd meeting/exhibition, but I wouldn't count on lugging it about more than once or twice a year, for the simple reason that shifting that size of layout alone or with one pal is no mean exercise, do-able with a bit of forethought and organisation, but pretty hard work.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

Even if a layout is capable of single handed operation, I would always want a second person as a relief operator at a show. I did one show, once, solo! Never again. Not getting a break or a chance to look round the trade stands and other layouts or the chance to clean some loco wheels while somebody else operates was just no fun at all for me.

I do find that the joys of lugging a big layout around fade with the passing years so my ideal is now a one car, two person arrangement.

But it would be a shame if the work that has gone into the layout doesn't give you some fun on the exhibition circuit, whenever it returns. So in your place I would be asking for volunteers, either on here or elsewhere. I have always managed to find friends who will come out for a weekend, or even family members who will just about do it under protest!

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

It Is currently partially erected in my dad's garage. the problem is when its fully up 10ft of it is outside. I only have room for an 8ft micro. It started off as a 14ft by 1ft6 exchange sidings and halt. after its first outing I realised that the traversers at 3ft were to small so I swapped them  for 4ft ones. This made two 3ft boards free so I expanded the scenic area by 6ft, 3ft either end. The next change was brought on by my Dad who couldn't operate 2 traversers at the same time. So I rebuilt on of the traversers to make the 16ft option into a terminus. I also swapped the 3 link couplings for Dingham's, with fixed magnets. Which was irrelevant, as once I had changed things he said that he didn't want to go to shows, other than the two local ones. This how I took it to Folkestone last year.

To make used of the 3ft boards the layout needs to be in a through configuration so I need the other traverser. As all the boards are built in pairs this means I need another 4ft board to make it a matching pair for transporting. Additionally, I found that the 3 road, plus the industrial feeder, traverser that is still in existence needs to be a five road, plus the feeder, or you spend half the show stopped to reorganise trains. Due to the virous I've not been able to any work on it as it not at my house. Hence the question as at this point in time all it is doing is gathering dust. 

Marc

• Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold

2 simple answers.

a. You've built the wrong layout.

b. You live in the wrong house.

I'm in a similar position, the big layout is in the process of being converted to DCC, which will help make it operable by one person, but the building for it to go in is stalling and receding further into the distance.

You have my sympathies.

Mike.

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

In terms of being set up in the garage - could you include two 90 degree corner boards for home use, so that it all  (or more of it) fits in the garage in a U shape?

As well as enabling the layout to fit undercover, the two fiddle yards (or fiddle yard and terminus) would be opposite each other, so easier for one person to manage.

Based on JP's hint I went and had a look too - it is one very nice layout, and I think I may have seen it at an exhibition. The shingly, reedy look is certainly familiar.

Not sure what format it exists in now, but given that it is the sort of railway that is small tank engine territory, so not needing very large radius curves, it must be worth very seriously thinking about what RJS says, or, better still IMO, altering it so that it incorporates a continuous run.

When operating on your own, even five minutes of letting a train circulate during a slack period at an exhibition, those odd minutes when nobody is actually looking at the layout, can take the pressure off hugely.

20 hours ago, Furness Wagon said:

I did post a plea for help before I did Folkestone last year. Didn't get a single volunteer. 

Marc

In my experience, the smaller the community, the closer it is. This forum has grown a lot over the past 15 or so years since it was formed, so a volunteer would have been more likely then than it is now.

Since you model 7mm, maybe the Gauge O Guild would be a better place to ask, or maybe you know others within HMRS?

I have often helped friends I met through clubs. I have been a member of 2; where I used to live & where I live now. I kept in touch with a few from the earlier one & there are several at my current one who I see outside of club times. A few of us even took the train to ModelRail Scotland together earlier this year.

This comes back to the unseen value of a club. You don't just get to learn & help others with building layouts; but also make friends.

Doing a whole show on your own can be a tough day (or weekend. I find that just 1 other person helping can transform it into something much more fun.

I often wonder whether people feel that helping out at a show commits them to all weekend? An hour here & there would be very helpful to let you get away from the layout & maybe get something to eat. Once you get regular on the exhibition circuit, you spend a lot of your time talking to others you have got to know anyway.

I for one would not volunteer to assist on a layout I've only seen in pictures.

Remember, you are putting on a show to paying visitors. It is incumbent on you to put on a professional show. Operators who turn up on the day cannot be expected to be proficient in the nuances of operating. It would be embarrassing for them, as well as you the owner.

When I was exhibiting, I would take friends, and we would have a weekend away. Highlight of that was taking the layout to Utrecht - one could hardly expect to turn up there and drag someone off the street.

This problem should have been thought about before any wood was cut for the baseboards.

• Agree 1

The layout has grown organically over time. As I said earlier in this thread originally it was only 14ft long and it has grown over time as it has been tweaked. its dead easy to operate all the locos are programmed with their cab number in the DCC box the points, gates etc are all controlled with mechanical actuators so the operator pushes a nob on the side of the baseboard. The stock all has dingham's fitted and the magnets are marked.  So most people who have had a go have mastered it in a few minuets.  It was instilled in me from an early age to keep thing simple. The complex something is the more opportunity for Mr Cockup has to pay a visit. 

One of the major problems I have in getting people to play before going is I live in the Lakes and i'm 40minuits away from civilisation.

Marc

21 hours ago, Furness Wagon said:

I did post a plea for help before I did Folkestone last year. Didn't get a single volunteer. 

Marc

As has been stated above by @Tim V, I don't think I'd be overly keen to volunteer to be part of an operating team for a layout that I've never seen before, that is owned by someone that I've never met.  Although if I planned on going to the exhibition (ie it was reasonably local to me) then I may get in touch and offer to have a go, especially if the layout aligned with my interests.

Most of the layouts that I've exhibited at an exhibition have been club layouts, but I have also volunteered to operate layouts owned by fellow club members on several occasions (both my current and previous club).  I recall one small event in a church hall back in the 1990s where a fellow club member was showing his personal layout and wanted someone to help operate (it was a terminus to fiddle yard layout that was probably about 16 foot long).  Unfortunately, he seemed to come down with some form of flu on the Friday night around set up and I ended up operating his layout on my own for a lot of the Saturday!!!  I seem to remember getting some relief when one of his friends (whom I didn't know) turned up.  I therefore appreciate that it's not easy to operate a layout single handed.

Whilst your layout may be relatively easy to operate (in your opinion), a lot of people are put of by the thought of operating a layout that they are not familiar with.  We seem to get plenty of new club members who are reluctant to operate the club layouts at exhibitions.  They are often willing to come along to 'help' but reluctant to actually drive trains.  Offer them a shot of the controller and they say they'll just watch.  Some are definitely quicker than others when it comes to understanding how to operate a particular layout.

• Like 1

Through the 009 society in particular, I've had the privilege of helping to operate a number of layouts at shows - usually (but not always) pre-planned, but for each layout the first time I operated them was at a show (although most of them I operated on numerous occasions since).

Generally speaking, I picked up how to operate them pretty quickly (although the helical layout I mentioned in another thread was a constant trap for the unwary!). However as several of the layouts had no fixed operating pattern, it has been quite common for a layout owner to take over after his lunch and find the stock in unusual locations!

On the other hand, I was a little wary of operating the fiddle yard of my club's O Gauge layout - mainly due to being aware of the value of the locos I was picking up!

I am reminded that I would have people ask to operate my layout at exhibitions. That was because it had very prototypical operation (interlocked lever frame, single line token instruments), that was very easy to pick up if one had a knowledge of how the real thing works. They felt privileged to operate it.

I have a similar problem with my layout, Cromer.  See:

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/74024-cromer-modern-image-o-gauge/

It is 28 feet long and it lives in my garage which is 16 feet long.  It is built on 7nr four feet long boards, four of which permanently sit on a timber framework along one side of the garage.  Which four is immaterial although if I want to run something then one of the boards must be the one to which the control panel is fixed.  The three boards not in use slide on to runners under the layout.

If I want to erect the full layout, for example just prior to an exhibition, I open the garage door and erect three boards down my driveway.  They sit on supports that get increasingly taller to suit the slight slope on my drive and provide a surface level with that in the garage.  Obviously I have to choose the day that I do this as rain is a big no-no.  I also try and avoid winter although it is sometimes unavoidable.  Before the pandemic struck I was looking forward to making the trip across England from East Anglia to Manchester for their Christmas show.  The only bit I wasn't looking forward to was setting the layout up about now to check everything over but, if you choose your day carefully, it isn't too bad.  You just have to wear lots of winter woollies.

There is also a problem in summertime with strong sunshine as it can warp the Plasticard from which much is made.  I keep a couple of old parasols from picnic tables to protect the layout which I tie to the layout supports with string.  (Windy days are best avoided!)  My driveway faces eastwards and the layout is increasingly in the shadow of the house during the course of the afternoon so the parasols can be removed as the day wears on.

The layout is designed to be erected by one person in my garage but at exhibitions two is preferable.  I am lucky in having a very good friend who is more than happy to organise the hire of, and drive, the van leaving me free to concentrate on the layout.  However, even then things do not go smoothly.  A couple a years ago my friend had an accident on his bicycle and although he could drive the van he couldn't lift anything.  I was able to erect most of the layout on my own with the exception of the lighting pelmet.  The organising club very kindly helped me out with that bit as well as unloading and loading the van.  It was summertime though and boy, was I hot!

I think that's just about everything but if there are any other details I can help you with then please let me know.  Sadly I don't have any photos of Cromer set up in my garage and driveway - it's never occurred to me before - so that's some thing to add to my "To Do" list!

Chris Turnbull     

• Like 2

It seems to me from looking at the layout, through the link, that making this end to end exhibition layout one operator friendly is a near impossibility.    I would  have thought it needs some way of returning trains from one or both ends  to the main operating position behind the scenes so to speak which would mean an awful lot of work and extra bulk.  At least with 7mm the idea of someone surreptitiously  slipping your prized loco into their anorak pocket at the far end of the layout is a bit less likely than with lesser scales

I have operated shows on my own before and it was exhausting even with an 8ft long layout. I am lucky now I have a regular helper who actually likes operating a lot more than I do. The added advantage this brings is help is on hand for unloading/loading at both the show and home. That said all of my layouts have had to be designed for one person to do everything  but it does bring compromises as my current O gauge layout has a scenic section just under 5ft long.

• Like 1

I also have a o gauge micro which can be operated by 1 person. It is 6ft long with 4ft of scenic area. It's still hard work operating for 2 days on your own. Its things like toilet breaks etc. 

Marc

• Like 1