The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

The pumps must run...

woodenhead

12 hours ago, The Johnster said:

When I saw the title, I thought this was going to be about the Sudbrook pumping station.  I'm told that if this failed completely, the Severn Tunnel would flood completely in  6 minutes...

Yes true -  A few years ago I was lucky enough to have a guided tour of the Severn tunnel and pumping house and control centre care of a friend who worked for Rail Track.  The pumps are all electric (of course) and automated and that time were monitored by the guys in the control centre.    I cannot fully remember but I think there are seven pumps at work, and if they all fail the tunnel floods in 6 or 7 minutes.   I was commuting daily through the tunnel at that time so it was quite thought provoking.  Part of the tour involved visiting the culvert below the track bed. Not a place for claustrophobics. 

It is an amazing feat of engineering, and just wish I could have witnessed the Cornish beam engines at work keeping the tunnel dry.           

• Like 1