Roco Z21 - Digikeijs -WiFi at shows

norman

Signal swamping at shows is said to be a potential problem with using WiFi.  Does anyone have experience of using WiFi at shows? Yes I know that there are no shows on the horizon but hopefully now the vaccine is being rolled out we can look to the future, perhaps August 2021.

Norman

This is a very real problem and caused mayhem at the last Warley show where exhibitors using WiFi Multimaus handsets found that they had to purchase wired Multimaus from sales stands to get control of the layouts back. 

Similarly attempts to use WiFi using the phone apps proved equally problematic and was only resolved by reverting to wired control.

Warley was the worst example I have seen but it it has happened at smaller shows also.

The issue is exacerbated by the proliferation of individuals walking about with their phone WiFi switched on which is constantly seeking base stations to use.

The problem with the Z21 ( also used by DR5000) protocol is that it is Connectionless (as is DCC) which means that the control units sends an instruction and assumes it has been received but it has no knowledge whether it has been or not. In a crowded WiFi space that signal to stop the loco, change a turnout, or whatever can and does get lost resulting in a loss of control. The DR5000 is also challenged as it has a relatively weak WiFi transmitter which is easily drowned out.

The problem is real, it isn’t just hearsay.

The Warley experience goes back to at least 2012, when I could see it affecting a large number of systems (I was on the DCC and automation demo stand, we had just about every system on sale on that demo stand).  

I'll repeat what I've said before, if building for exhibition at anything other than the smallest of shows, then ensure there is a wired fall-back control option.  Doesn't matter which vendor's system you plump for, they are all at risk if operating wirelessly.   

- Nigel