Hornby B17 R3447 Kilverstone Hall issues

Jinty7109fan

This Christmas I got a B17. It's very nice looking and when it runs it's very smooth and quiet. While running in, things went fine. The controller did cut out three or four times, but it's an old crusty Hornby DC train set controller, so I didn't really care, as it did that when it was brand new. After fitting a Lenz Standard+ V2 decoder and succesfully programming the loco on my Hornby Select, it ran fine for a few laps and then the controller overloaded. Now instead of overloading it cuts off randomly and then comes back into life. I'm not sure if it's because of the loco, the decoder, the controller, or if I tangled a wire or made something short circuit inside the tight GE tender when I fitted the decoder. If anything changes I'll post updates. Please help, I don't want to return Christmas presents.

I've now established that the loco runs fine when powered by a 9V battery, runs for a while then overloads on DC, on DCC when I select the adress it just doesn't move at all, even when turning the knob all the way up. (Unfortunately) Select didn't die, as my Railroad Hall class ran just fine. I'll look at the tender connection and I really hope that the decoder isn't dead. It shouldn't be, it's a Lenz, unless I accidentally killed it.

Edited by Jinty7109fan
technical
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, Hilux5972 said:

The decoder hasn’t been programmed to a different number? Try resetting it if you have a way of doing so. I believe resetting the decoder is by setting CV8 to 8. 

I don’t think you can change CVs on Select, and I have no other means of doing so. Also I found the fault, it’s the decoder. I swapped decoders and fitted the Lenz to my Hall class and it was dead as well. The Hornby decoder from my Hall works fine in the B17. I’ll have it returned and hopefully will get a replacement. Thank you to all who gave their tips.