Wiring Question - Digikeijs DR5000, DR4088LN & DR5088RC

model-trains

Hi guys, hope you had a nice Christmas.

I seek your advice regarding the following.

I have a DR5000 control centre, numerous DR4088LN's and want to include the DR5088RC as the 5th module from the controlcentral.

The DR5088RC manual shows examples of linking 2 DR5088RC's and one for extending the DR5088RC with DR4088's. Having wired part of my layout with DR4088LN's 1-16, 17-32, 33-48, 49-64, the DR5088RC will take up feedbacks 65-81.

The feedbacks will be wired to the DR5088RC which will be a series of station and hidden sidings blocks, each with two feedbacks, all running parallel to each other on board 3 of 4.

The diagrams for the items mentioned above do not match what I am trying to achieve so I include an image of what I think, I hope is right or almost right. I would be grateful for any advice and thank you all in advance.

Paul

201228_DR5000-DR4088_DR5088_2.jpg.b1b6f4e99e318612cf434ccf277f8d48.jpg

After viewing the manual items 6.1 and 6.2 it seems confusing.

So is the above correct?

I may not use feedback 73 but is that correct also?  On the DR4088 a loop is added to join 1-8 and 9-16 feedbacks, this is not shown as needed on the DR5088?

Paul

Looks OK, but f you are using iTrain to keep a note of which units a feedback attached to and you have them in blocks of 16  then your numbering will be screwed up by including the Global Feedback (73) within the numbering sequence. I would leave it out of the numbering sequence.

• Like 1

At present I have

DR4088LN - 1-16

DR4088LN - 17-32

DR4088LN - 33-48

I am wanting to get started on this but slowly does it as I have had another stroke, fortunately a less violent one but it did affect my eyes and face again, but not as bad as the three previous ones

DR5088RC - 49-64  (not 65-80 as stated in the image above)

Tis includes 3 feedbacks for the Speed Measurement track I set up on it's own for speed testing

Then I will add

DR4088LN - 65-80

DR4088LN - 81-96 (using only a few)

The DR4088LN has a link joining 1-8 with 9-16 in the same block.  Do I link the middle two connections of the DR5088RC with the loop just the same as the DR4088?

I agree with missing out the Global Feedback, and keeping to the x16 multiplier, I only included that in the image so as to consider all options. I have also kept all DR5088RC blocks side by side on board 3 to keep it as simple as possible.

Paul

Edited by model-trains

Hi Iain

Your reply answers a problem I have been trying to get my head round. I had wired the DR5088RC as the DR4088LN as previously discussed.

But at the same time I had removed some of the DR4088 feedbacks from board-2, to a DR4088 on board-3, to better balance the wiring and devices between the 3 boards. Having done so I found I had a 'short', thinking I had wired the DR5088 correctly as the DR4088 (linking the middle connections) it was the last place I expected the short to be, so I vacuumed the track on the layout to ensure there was no foreign bodies causing the short, then stripped out all the wiring from the 8 feedbacks I had changed in December. Still there was a short so I then disconnected all devices on the control board on board-3, the short cleared. Knowing the short had to be on the Board-3 devices and not knowing why was the reason I asked the question above in more detail, finally I asked the second question to double checked the wiring or use of the terminal for Global feedback.

I have this morning reconnected all the feedback wires to the DR5088RC and the power from the bus to the bottom terminals, good news, I have power to the device. So I then tested the device using a signal, touching the input wire at the bottom then to each of the 16 feedbacks with the other wire the and the signal lights for all feedbacks, so I am getting power through the DR5088RC. Good news I have not blown it.

I am now getting things together, but I have one more question please, it is again regarding the middle terminals of the DR5088RC. I have amended the image wiring, removing the global link for the extra feedback. My question is, is the wiring in the diagram below correct, or should the DR54088LN and DR5088RC be totally separate of each other?

Thanks for your help, the details in the manual for the DR5088RC seem to me to be a bit misleading.

Paul

201228_DR5000-DR4088_DR5088_3.jpg.c4dafdf0536dcad00aff43919432df70.jpg

TBH the best thing to do is ignore the centre contacts completely on the DR5088RC and not use them at all - I.e. nothing in them at all.

if you do want to use them then you should consider them as a totally separate and individual track feed I.e. the 2 coming out are not connected to anything else other than either side of a fully isolated section of track.

Either way the diagram is wrong as it doesn’t show either of the use cases I describe