Ages ago I built an A2 Pacific in 00 using a Trix body, a Hornby non-corridor tender top and a modified Tri-ang 'Scotsman' chassis. Fun to build but it always looked like it was on the wrong chassis as the pic shows. Fast forward a few years and I currently have a cheap GBL 'Blue Peter' on its way from eBay plus a Tri-ang Princess chassis and some other bits. Hoping it will be a fairly straightforward job. The loco will be 60536 'Trimbush' in BR green with later emblem, which was apparently allocated (on paper at least) to York for the very end of its career, fitting nicely with the location I model. Suspect I can improve on my previous effort...

David

IMG_20200114_011256392.jpg

Edited by David_Belcher
Photo added.
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, manna said:

G'Day Folk

I did almost the same, but I used a Britannia chassis.

manna

A2 cross's the LT.JPG

With hindsight, should've done that with my last effort - the wheel diameter/wheelbase are much better suited. Nice model (I see you have the proper tender, too - the use of the corridor type let the Trix original down a bit).

David

• Like 1

My take on the subject -the product of a long gestation... Trix body now on a railroad loco drive A3 chassis and fitted with 6' drivers, tender presumably from another A3 sometime. This was a long ongoing task, started some twenty years ago, and originally was a tender drive then replaced with the Railroad chassis when it came out and latterly rewheeled. all in all, a bit of a bodge and I was pleased with how it all turned out eventually. IIR, I finally finished it the same week Bachmann announced their tender version.....No real use for it now but I've held on to it and it gets the occasional trundle round the layout  for old times sake. looking at the images I see that it is looking a bit ragged and the valve gear is of an age as well, but it is of a different era.

IMG_1845.JPG.849a022457fc80b17a7f4c119a537a0d.JPG

IMG_1838.JPG.3f379f02a34a9d1487278d2689e625d7.JPG

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

22 hours ago, Ben Alder said:

My take on the subject -the product of a long gestation... Trix body now on a railroad loco drive A3 chassis and fitted with 6' drivers, tender presumably from another A3 sometime. This was a long ongoing task, started some twenty years ago, and originally was a tender drive then replaced with the Railroad chassis when it came out and latterly rewheeled. all in all, a bit of a bodge and I was pleased with how it all turned out eventually. IIR, I finally finished it the same week Bachmann announced their tender version.....No real use for it now but I've held on to it and it gets the occasional trundle round the layout  for old times sake. looking at the images I see that it is looking a bit ragged and the valve gear is of an age as well, but it is of a different era.

IMG_1845.JPG.849a022457fc80b17a7f4c119a537a0d.JPG

IMG_1838.JPG.3f379f02a34a9d1487278d2689e625d7.JPG

It was yours (and Simon Martin's) Trix A2 reworkings that sent me down this rabbit hole in the first place! I was very impressed with what had been done to update a bodyshell made back in the 60s and give it a modern, more accurate chassis.

David

• Thanks 1

On 04/01/2021 at 23:27, Ben Alder said:

This sort of thing is addictive! Be interested to see how you get on with the GBL body - I've done several hack abouts using their range and am now devoting more and more time to what ifs and never weres.....

Arrived yesterday, taken it partly to bits...footplate is solid (boiler moulding appears to have a gap underneath) so a lot of cutting is called for! Tender looks a fairly easy proposition with just a new chassis of U-shaped section needed plus coupling & disc wheels. Motorised Rovex chassis turns out to have solid-backed wheels (despite having the later style of front coupler) so those now need to replacing. Curses!

On 08/01/2021 at 07:55, manna said:

G'Day Folks

A couple of better pics 60525, now fitted with a Triang BR 60103 tender.

manna

DSCF5598.JPG

DSCF5599.JPG

Chassis looks better proportioned than my old Trix-based effort. Did you rewheel it with the correct size (25mm) drivers?

UPDATE: Just realised I got this pic mixed up with 33C's post!

Edited by David_Belcher
Typo.

On 07/01/2021 at 00:55, 33C said:

This inspired me to dig out my A2 and give it a clean and oil. Trix body, Scotsman chassis and Triang tender. Standard. 20210106_223754.jpg.a51e2e304b8e56665e82fbe863c8e8b9.jpg

20210106_223835.jpg

Any rewheeling? Drivers look in better proportion to the running plate than on my Scotsman-powered effort.

6 hours ago, David_Belcher said:

Any rewheeling? Drivers look in better proportion to the running plate than on my Scotsman-powered effort.

Yes, i used the later, Hornby, silver seal, B12 drivers as i had a set spare. Just popped out the short crankpin boss and tapped in a longer Britannia boss.

Edited by 33C
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

Here's one I made earlier (well it is Blue Peter - couldn't resist)... Where things are at so far: GBL body disassembled ready for the footplate section to have a big slot cut in it. Wire handrails added to loco & tender. Comet metal buffers replaced the wonky GBL plastic ones. Tender chassis still needs doing, likewise the Princess chassis (now with correct open-spoked wheels) needs some hacking at the rear to accept a Scotsman trailing bogie (with correct wheels added; it had disc ones which an A2 shouldn't). Cylinders (9F) are lurking in the pic, valve gear out of shot in the bits box along with cab interior, crew figures and brass safety valves in lieu of the crude plastic GBL efforts.

Also, the GBL cab doesn't seem to have the distinctive A2 "lean in" (it shows up well in 'The Last Steam Locomotives of British Railways' by Ransome Wallis) that the Trix one captured well?

David

IMG_20210218_232901023.jpg

Edited by David_Belcher
Extra information added.
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...