Slow acting point motor - DCC Concepts

Ron Solly

Be sure to let us know how you get on. They do look very much smaller.Is there any difference in sound or operation between the two based on your observations so far ?

Ive just unpacked mine and have been able to power them up and test them very quickly - thanks to the spring terminals - no soldering needed. Im not sure what all this kerfuffle about the manual is about to be honestblink.gif

Not everyone one is online to hoover all this knowledge off the internet - Im probably the only one in my local model railway club who uses the net to help with my hobby.

Anways im happy

Here's a direct size comparison with a tortoise in the same orientation -

post-6893-127686853179.jpg

post-6893-127686856819.jpg

it turns out mine will fit better laid flat (as shown in the second picture )- the casing has mounting points for you to fix it this way (unlike the tortoise) as well 'standing up'.

Anyways - means i can finish the fiddleyard nowtongue.gif a neat bit of kit - im sold.

• 1 month later...

Has anybody got any experience of using these point motors by now? Are they prepared tyo share their thoughts/ comments?

I'm using 7 of them on my O gauge layout replacing Fulgurex motors so I can't compare to Tortoise but compared to Fulgurex they are in a different league. They are really quiet, very easy to fit and powerful. I like the adjustable fulcrum which allows you to fine tune it after screwing to the baseboard and they work fine with my MERG accessory decoders. The only small criticism is that I would have preferred screw terminals rather than the sprung loaded ones. Not that I've had any problem with them, they seem to hold the wires securely, it's just a personal preference. Alternatively a small cable clamp next to the terminals to hold the wires securely and avoid any possibility of them being accidentally pulled out would have been nice.

I would use them again and recommend them.

Julian

Hi

I purchased a pack of 12 and have added 5 to my layout so far and I am very happy with them. Easy to mount I actually replaced 1 tortoise which I had assumed was poorly mounted by me it seemed to stick on a regular basis. Whatever the problem Cobalt is working fine in there.

It is better engineered than the tortoise, the actuation arm is certainly stiffer. Smaller and a nice slot for the accessory decoder. They are defiantly quieter and have a nice slow action. I like the spring loaded terminals and whats the big deal with the manual???? its great. Lots of extra info. Some people you just cannot please.

One thing I did notice and maybe someone can confirm this with the Tortoise every now and then I find in the points the blade will creep off the rail, not so with Cobalt....but I will need to watch this over time.

I have no issue with choice. I am genuinely glad to see this as an alternative to the Tortoise.

The point I don't like being made is that it is better than the Tortoise which is as yet unproven in the market A manufacturer (and most reviewers) will always paint the best possible picture of their product.

Its not my product and I think it is far better than Tortoise, why dont you buy a couple and try them out.

I got the second last 12 pack so they must be selling well.

Highly recommended.

Martin

Highly recommended product that will do very well.

Martin

One thing I did notice and maybe someone can confirm this with the Tortoise every now and then I find in the points the blade will creep off the rail

Almost every example I have seen of a Tortoise not "working" has been down to either incorrectly aligned mounting (not parallel to the tie bar) or - more often - the failure to understand that the fulcrum actually can be - and should be - adjusted

Its not my product and I think it is far better than Tortoise, why dont you buy a couple and try them out.

Probably the main reason will continue to be price - I get my Tortoise from the US at a price that is hard to beat. Unfortunately the importation of these from Australia doesn't help their competitive edge.

That is not to say I will not ever - just that I don't need to at the present.

• RMweb Premium

It's kind of a shame that both the Cobalt and the Tortoise are manufactured so far from the UK and potentially get such high import costs. It makes me wonder if there isn't space in the market in Europe for a manufacturer to make one or the other under licence...:huh:

It's kind of a shame that both the Cobalt and the Tortoise are manufactured so far from the UK and potentially get such high import costs. It makes me wonder if there isn't space in the market in Europe for a manufacturer to make one or the other under licence...:huh:

Considering we could get Lenz chips made in Europe cheaper from America until the exchange rate went t*ts up I doubt it would help!

The trains themselves are certainly cheaper when not made in Europe..

I wouldn't put it all down to exchange rates. Tortoise x 12 from the USA is $156.05 today.That equals at today's exchange rate stg£99.96 or Euro€119.26.Yet the same 12 x Tortoise in the UK is stg£147. Thats some exchange rate ;)

I wouldn't put it all down to exchange rates. Tortoise x 12 from the USA is $156.05 today.That equals at today's exchange rate stg£99.96 or Euro€119.26.Yet the same 12 x Tortoise in the UK is stg£147. Thats some exchange rate ;)

Although there is the cost of shipping and the cost of Customs Duty of importing there is often what seems like a large % profit margin added by the middlemen.

Some profit is understandable yet it seems to be as if they are either paying retail prices from their distributor or are simply trying to have a better living standard with their profits than the equivalent US retailer.

Although there is the cost of shipping and the cost of Customs Duty of importing there is often what seems like a large % profit margin added by the middlemen.

Some profit is understandable yet it seems to be as if they are either paying retail prices from their distributor or are simply trying to have a better living standard with their profits than the equivalent US retailer.

There is a big difference in the pricing of the Tortoise & the Cobalt in regards to the prices they are in their countries of manufacture.The Cobalt is virtually the same price in the UK as Australia,less than stg£10 dearer in the UK for 12. Yet the Tortoise is very much cheaper in the US as against the UK. Could be the cost from suppliers,import duty from different countries. Could be anything really.

Does the US price people are quoting include sales tax?Maybe VAT needs to be removed from the UK price before a comparison.

The US Tortoise price doesn't include sales tax.That is added at the checkout & only then to residents of the local area. The UK price would include vat which would be removed if the items were being sent to an address outside the European Union. But the UK price is far greater than the US price even taking vat into account,nearly £48.

I can't explain the virtual parity in price for the Cobalts between Australia & the UK. Just under 10 pound dearer in the UK.

The US Tortoise price doesn't include sales tax.That is added at the checkout & only then to residents of the local area. The UK price would include vat which would be removed if the items were being sent to an address outside the European Union. But the UK price is far greater than the US price even taking vat into account,nearly £48.

I can't explain the virtual parity in price for the Cobalts between Australia & the UK. Just under 10 pound dearer in the UK.

My guess the supplier is not being greedy, and has done the right thing by modelers. You get a better product with a lifetime warranty and you have an extra 48GBP in your pocket to spend on.........

Martin

Shipping costs US to UK can be somewhat insane, Australia to UK less so. To the US modelling trade, the UK is an insignificant market hardly worth the bother so no special arrangements with trade prices. Australia to UK however is a significant opportunity and likely to gain traction (is Cobalt being targetted for the US as well..? That may be somewhat of a harder fight).

Shipping costs US to UK can be somewhat insane, Australia to UK less so. To the US modelling trade, the UK is an insignificant market hardly worth the bother so no special arrangements with trade prices. Australia to UK however is a significant opportunity and likely to gain traction (is Cobalt being targetted for the US as well..? That may be somewhat of a harder fight).

You could be right on the US to UK thing.UK retailers have to buy at customer price then they have their costs & profit margin. That might account for the big difference in price.I think the postage between the us & Ireland is about $16 for the twelve Tortoise.it would be similar to the UK. The UK/Australia thing may also be as you have indicated.America would be an interesting market for the Cobalt as it seems to have design advantages over the Tortoise.I can see some American protectionism coming into play :P

Archived