Introducing Nussbach, Swiss RhB in NM9

Nutbrook

I recognise the original viaduct but can’t place it. Is it somewhere along the Al bull line, between Preda and Bergun? 
I think your representation of it has worked out really well and the curved end arches also work well with the lime curving underneath it. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 24/12/2022 at 14:37, Nutbrook said:

This is a photo of the RhB bridge I was using as a guide. Whilst its not an exact copy (it was never ment to be) it gave me something to work to and to fit into my railway.

Screenshot_20221219_163043_com.google.android_apps_maps.jpg.18f588a16aa76152c1b2f03051289a41.jpg

The Brombenzbrücke on the line between Davos Monstein and Wiesen.

The old road seen here is now a pleasent walk down the Landwasser valley between the two stations. The harder bit is walking over the Wiesen viaduct - the Wanderweg canterlivered out from the side, not on the track - then up over the hill to Filisur station. A beer might be required at the end of the walk, but there are good views along the way.

Regards

Chris H

Edited by Metropolitan H
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Samedan said:

I recognise the original viaduct but can’t place it. Is it somewhere along the Al bull line, between Preda and Bergun? 
I think your representation of it has worked out really well and the curved end arches also work well with the lime curving underneath it. 

Thank you for your kind comments, as Chris says above, the viaduct is between Filisur and Davis. You can quite easily find it on Google maps, just zoom in a bit in that area and there's a little thingy (not sure of the technical name) to click on for pictures etc. You can also cross it on street view by dropping the little man on it. 

Thanks for the walk info Chris, might try that next time I'm over there. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nutbrook said:

Thank you for your kind comments, as Chris says above, the viaduct is between Filisur and Davis. You can quite easily find it on Google maps, just zoom in a bit in that area and there's a little thingy (not sure of the technical name) to click on for pictures etc. You can also cross it on street view by dropping the little man on it. 

Thanks for the walk info Chris, might try that next time I'm over there. 

I believe it is this bridge is it not?

My picture taken on 21 August 2018

IMG_8431.JPG

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Gordonwis said:

Oh it's not that bad surely!...

IMG_5841.JPG

I suffer from vertigo - the stomach churning, quaking knees and cold sweat variety. Then there is the climb over the hill to Filisur - which makes me puff nowadays.

It was 12 years back when we last did that walk, the summer after these were taken -

P1000815a.jpg.4d46c3b01fd3880b5079845205774ad4.jpg

P1000817a.jpg.9c8ee0c9007ccb14b727d5052e6af183.jpg

P1000822.JPG.ffe61eec017a9900cd5d7f423bde85a6.JPG

Regards

Chris H

Edited by Metropolitan H
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium
19 hours ago, Nutbrook said:

Last week was this layouts 2nd birthday and things are progressing at a steady pace. This has been mainly a winter project, although it does give me a good train fix throughout the year when I need it.

Here Croc 414 heads a birthday special

The railings on the bridge are a temp fix to see how things look

P1050309.JPG.18a34199ae0c2106bc2e9f3ba31c1796.JPG

Whist GE4/4 III heads uphill towards the summit with an Glacier Express service 

P1050319.JPG.9cdc56c55aef4468144923834f17880e.JPG

Where did you get the Krock from, Nutbrook?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Blobrick said:

I got it from a car boot sale in Fakenham, Norfolk last summer £2.50, bargain. Its only a dummy loco, ie the wheels go round but that's it, no motor etc. But it looks good and fits 9mm track. Think it's made by an Italian firm, but I can't remember who, someone on here will know, they make several different types of dummy locos, European and American 

Steve 

• RMweb Premium

My guess would be it's a Del Prado.  They did a large range, but appear to have been of very mixed quality.  I had a trio which seemed to be two hits and a (big) miss.  I think @PaulRhB has also been able to use the Krok as a static model, but @Gordonwis quite correctly highlighted a number of disastrous flaws on an SBB Re 6/6 I had (now gone).  £2.50 seems a fair price to me.

Love the viaduct by the way - very good centrepiece for the layout.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Nutbrook said:

I got it from a car boot sale in Fakenham, Norfolk last summer £2.50, bargain. Its only a dummy loco, ie the wheels go round but that's it, no motor etc. But it looks good and fits 9mm track. Think it's made by an Italian firm, but I can't remember who, someone on here will know, they make several different types of dummy locos, European and American 

Steve 

Ah right ,l have seen one of these once before, on an RhB  web site, Seeing yours got me all excited thinking l d missed potential model. Thanks for your reply 

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Keith Addenbrooke said:

My guess would be it's a Del Prado.  They did a large range, but appear to have been of very mixed quality.  I had a trio which seemed to be two hits and a (big) miss.  I think @PaulRhB has also been able to use the Krok as a static model, but @Gordonwis quite correctly highlighted a number of disastrous flaws on an SBB Re 6/6 I had (now gone).  £2.50 seems a fair price to me.

Love the viaduct by the way - very good centrepiece for the layout.

Thanks for the info Keith

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Blobrick said:

The Croc is from the Del Prado 'Railways of the World' partwork (100 static models in 1:160, some near perfect - others terrible, some remarkably similar (...) to existing proper models (eg the Del Prado Re4/4II had the same over-wide body as Fleischmann's 1st generation Re4/4II , and the same running number...!)

I have about 10 of them (I last saw one for sale at Guilford show 2 days ago - £5)

One of mine is motorised by the way!

Edited by Gordonwis

17 hours ago, Metropolitan H said:

I suffer from vertigo - the stomach churning, quaking knees and cold sweat variety. Then there is the climb over the hill to Filisur - which makes me puff nowadays.

Apologies, my comment was slightly tongue in cheek by the way - based on my photo angle. I and especially my wife needed to pluck up some courage!

A worse bridge with a similar modern footway addition is the Bietschtal viaduct on the Lotschberg South ramp

Edited by Gordonwis
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Gordonwis said:

Apologies, my comment was slightly tongue in cheek by the way - based on my photo angle. I and especially my wife needed to pluck up some courage!

A worse bridge with a similar modern footway addition is the Bietschtal viaduct on the Lotschberg South ramp

Thanks for that - no offence taken. Despite the Vertigo, I do enjoy most of the walks - just have to keep a grip on the hand-rail and look at the horizon!

I've never done the Loetschberg "South Ramp" walk - despite being tempted. Doubt I ever will now, ageing knees are beginning to slow us down soewhat. But I have had a cab ride over the top from Spiez to Brig and return some years back (about 1990??) in a BLS Brown Bo-Bo hauling freight, which was rather fun!

Regards

Chris H

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Metropolitan H said:

I've never done the Loetschberg "South Ramp" walk - despite being tempted. Doubt I ever will now, ageing knees are beginning to slow us down soewhat. But I have had a cab ride over the top from Spiez to Brig and return some years back (about 1990??) in a BLS Brown Bo-Bo hauling freight, which was rather fun!

Regards

Chris H

I did it a few times in stages, mostly deliberately pre-base tunnel. I had the idea it would provide constant opportunities for photos of the freight trains but in fact the path often (necessariliy)  deviates from the railway  and you miss the best train (happened to me with a green Ae6/6 freight...) The upside is that some of the route is on the route of the construction railway so its like walking on the route of , say, the Ffestiniog railway had it remained closed!

My best Swiss  cab ride was on a RhB Croc on a Scuol - Samedan mIxed train (my best two non Swiss cab rides were on a Turkish Kriegslok in Anatolia and an SNCF CC72000 diesel from Roanne to Lyon Perrache)

Edited by Gordonwis
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 17/01/2023 at 12:55, Gordonwis said:

The Croc is from the Del Prado 'Railways of the World' partwork

One of mine is motorised by the way!

That must have been a nice little project to motorise the croc.  I have the model, but alas, not the skills.

• 8 months later...

So after the summer has passed, Ive managed to spend some time in the railway room doing the very fiddley job of fitting the handrails and walkways to the top of the viaduct, after two weeks (on and off)

A snap shot from today

P1050464.jpg.5357ef99668cff6a4e05b15443703d92.jpg

• Like 10

• 1 month later...

Been busy on the railway over the last couple of weeks. Building bridges, adding more scenery, lots of painting etc

Heres the first one going in. Of course its on a curve which makes things more difficult (who designed this railway )

The river needs to be added at a later date.

P1050469.JPG.8b6974426e79f508396bbd28a28d326d.JPG

P1050470-Copy.JPG.e9c73972e8b96b4544982e00e6e16cbe.JPG

P1050472.JPG.3589328df6aba3748de1df3ef31642eb.JPG

P1050482.JPG.5aaebed45b1c5db06390dfe2afb8a5f5.JPG

• Like 7

So whilst I got me bridge building head on I did two more, side by side both on curves just to make them nice and easy (not)

The only things on the bridge construction that isnt scratch built is the railings, I bought them, too fiddley for scratch building.

A pair of GE4/4 II's nos 631 & 632 head the morning freight over the newly constructed bridge.

P1050477.JPG.72151963963915c11907574eb3e9df11.JPG

View of the other bridge.

P1050484.JPG.dce5806d7b034953e82b9aca8c2b0cc5.JPG

• Like 12

• 1 month later...

Over the Xmas period between eating mince pies and Turkey etc, the line was closed to allow construction of Nussbach station, the biggest job was painting the rail sides witch took forever and was the most mind numbing job ever, however after this was completed the platforms and station building were put in place.

Bay platform 1 is long enough to accommodate an Allegra unit working a shuttle service, also a barrow crossing has been installed at this end.

P1050487.JPG.15fa8aa11ca574f0352e04d6c138f1bd.JPG

• Like 4

A subway has been installed to allow access from platforms 1 & 2 to platforms 3 &4 as the H&S police wouldn't allow passengers to cross the main running lines, especially as some trains pass through non stop.

P1050488.JPG.57695c9194bfdd3b80132e789eb27da9.JPG

• Like 4