The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Dr Seuss

brianusa

In todays news believe it or not,  PC is getting carried away.  Who's next? Enid Blyton? Rupert?

That same year, a Dr Seuss museum in his hometown of Springfield removed a mural that included an Asian stereotype after objections from three authors, who said the depiction was racist and refused to attend a museum event in protest.

The Cat In The Hat, one of Dr Seuss's most popular books, has also received criticism but will continue to be published for now.

Other popular children's books have been criticised in recent years for alleged racism.

Babar's Travels was removed from the shelves of libraries in East Sussex in the UK after complaints of racism from words used such as "savage cannibals".

Similar complaints have led to some of Herge's Tintin adventures being removed from libraries, or moved to the adult section.

And criticism over Laura Ingalls Wilder's portrayal of Native Americans in her Little House On the Prairie novels led to the removal of her name from a lifetime achievement award handed out annually by the American Library Association.

These are names we grew up with and we seem to have survived without problems well enough.:rolleyes:

Brian.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

It's a difficult one, white people may see no problem with these old stories written in a different age.

But look at it from another persons point of view and you might believe it is an ongoing casual racism that does nothing to help you feel included in society as an equal member.

I would suspect if racism & extremism had been banished from society then perhaps these books would not be seen in the same way, but it hasn't and people are still dying because they aren't valued the same as others and are somehow viewed as being less than.

Edited by woodenhead
removed a duplication
  • Like 2
  • Agree 7

Problem is you can see there's a rise in right wing politics and nationalism, these two often go hand in hand, burning books is not a new idea is it, but does it actually address a problem or is it sweeping it under the carpet. I don't know the answer myself, but I can see that the problem does not go away, do we slap Norwegians because the Vikings were naughty boys nearly a thousand years ago? To learn we need to observe, if there's nothing to observe, can we actually learn from the past good or bad.

• AY Mod locked this topic
  • Moderators
1 hour ago, brianusa said:

we seem to have survived without problems

Really? Plenty of racism still around.

Anyway, it's not a topic for here.

• Like 7
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 2