Markits keyed outside cranks.

tomparryharry

• RMweb Gold

Hello Folks, a question from the collective, if I may. 

Do (or does ) have any experience with Markits keyed outside cranks?  I notice that they're advertised on Markits web pages.  On face value, it seems to offer a far more accurate  quartering  ability from what has gone before.  Naturally, I'm interested  with a view to purchase, but I'd like to know whether they're actually  what I need, rather than any quality issues caused by ignorance on my part.

I've got a quantity of the  earlier style items from my local supplier ( 24/7 ) , but these little  items are a 'step up'. 

As usual, any insight or knowledge will be gratefully received.

Cheers,

Ian. 

• 2 weeks later...

Substantially engineered, look designed for OO, so less use for other gauges. 

I was handed a set, along with wheels, for an EM conversion of a RTR loco.  Owner was advised these were the correct parts for the conversion by Markits.  Supposedly a simple swap out wheels/axles conversion.  

Once fitted, the cranks were stupidly wide, sticking out a huge distance, likely to foul platforms, and not remotely in line with the RTR valve gear.   So didn't work as supplied and as loco owner was advised by Markits.   

Back to drawing board and lathe, where I made custom crankpins to fit the RTR return cranks, plus rods, onto the Markits wheels.  

- Nigel

I bought a set of those, a while back now, because I was advised that I could use this item with Markits P4 axles and Gibson 08 wheels on a Bachmann 08/09. Perhaps not.

I get the impression that RTR outside crank locos are well out of loading gauge at platform level,  certainly the Bachmann 08 is .