Chuffnell Regis

Graham T

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, Andy Keane said:

I think they thought it was old broad gauge rail, re-used

Andy

The GWR in the times of broad gauge and shortly thereafter, considered the new fangled gauge imposter, quite logically, as narrow gauge, which it of course was, as the broad gauge was the "standard".

One can easily obtain some broad gauge flat bottom rail from the Broad Gauge Society and useful stuff it is too. I bought a few metres with the view of building some cattle pens.

Edited by longchap
  • Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, longchap said:

The GWR in the times of broad gauge and shortly thereafter, considered the new fangled gauge imposter, quite logically, as narrow gauge, which it of course was, as the broad gauge was the "standard".

One can easily obtain some broad gauge flat bottom rail from the Broad Gauge Society and useful stuff it is too. I bought a few metres with the view of building some cattle pens.

Now there's an interesting idea for CR Mk II...

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
31 minutes ago, Andy Keane said:

I think they thought it was old broad gauge rail, re-used

Andy

Yes, that's right. There's still lots of it about on ex (G)WR territory even in areas that were never broad gauge, for instance in Wales. 

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

This evening I have been Beeching...  Sorry!

IMG20220825213008.jpg.f4e51406988c6765ced0d3fbaef6eee6.jpg

I think that side of the road is just about done now; maybe, perhaps!  Although I do need to clean up all the errant scraps of static grass.  No doubt I will be doing that for weeks!

• Like 11
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 3
  • Funny 1

4 minutes ago, Graham T said:

IMG20220825213008.jpg.f4e51406988c6765ced0d3fbaef6eee6.jpg

I think that side of the road is just about done now; maybe, perhaps!  Although I do need to clean up all the errant scraps of static grass.  No doubt I will be doing that for weeks!

That looks fantastic Graham! It really is a wonderful scene.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Graham T said:

Well, yew know, that's oak-ay.

28 minutes ago, DRoe96 said:

think that side of the road is just about done now

And a very fine piece of layout construction it is too. I've looked closely at the photo, and it's not at all clear to me where the layout ends and the backscene begins. I think the grassy bank at the end of the road is backscene, but not really sure.

Cracking stuff!

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

In other news, the hedgery is slowly creeping closer to the station.  That's it for this evening!  At some point I'm going to have to put that fence in, aren't I?

IMG20220825222839.jpg.2f02c1d780d0b0ecdbe032c8971497f3.jpg

• Like 9
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Gold

I'm after some more advice and opinions on fencing please chaps.  Or more specifically, on gates.  I've made these up from Scale Model Scenery, and am wondering which side to have them hinged on.  Hopefully the pics will explain what I'm pondering...

I think I know what I want to do with this one, as shown below.  The post and wire fencing would run from the standing post and then off to the right along the bank, separating the bay platform track from the road.  And there will be a run of wooden picket fence from the other gatepost to the station building.  Does that seem feasible?

IMG20220826162310.jpg.d38396d6230afd1d81866be716cfd348.jpg

Then there's the gate to the goods yard.  I'm inclined to have it open, as per the next photo...  With a run of picket fencing going from the gatepost along the end of the platform.

IMG20220826161906.jpg.28e90ca6b2c6b17df48abbd3e2c2e046.jpg

Or I could have the gate hung on the other side, and then should it be open or closed?  Any thoughts?  Was there a prototypical standard for this?  I suspect not, but, as usual, I'm guessing!

IMG20220826161804.jpg.54ad4048e7d5535f137b8ef265bc7524.jpg

However they end up being hung, the gates will get weathered a bit before being plonked.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, Graham T said:

I'm also wondering if the gates might not be a bit too chunky?

It looks more Farm Yard, rather than Railway.... Somewhere I have photos of Railway gates - do you have the GWR Architectural book? Pretty sure gates are also covered.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Neal Ball said:

It looks more Farm Yard, rather than Railway.... Somewhere I have photos of Railway gates - do you have the GWR Architectural book? Pretty sure gates are also covered.

Scale Model Scenery sell them as "GWR style gates".  There are some finer gates in the Ratio GWR station fencing pack, so I think I might use those instead.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, longchap said:

How are you securing the railway on the other side of the station building? Will cars be parked in part of this area, as evidenced by the MG?

I think the key thing to bear in mind is at the end of the working day it should be possible to close the gates and separate the railway from the public. So if the parking area is ungated / unfenced then there needs to be a fence run between it and the track. I would run along the little verge from the post of your yard gate towards the platform edge, then along parallel to the platform edge until it reached the station building.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, Graham T said:

Scale Model Scenery sell them as "GWR style gates".  There are some finer gates in the Ratio GWR station fencing pack, so I think I might use those instead.

They look ok Graham - the Ratio ones would be better.

As Andy says above, the whole station should be able to be gated off - and I think thats the 'photo I have in mind from GWR Architecture.... usually with a lamp at the end of the Station drive.

Generally I like all of the Scale Model Scenery stuff and fancy some of their GWR Platform trollies... but they a bit "heavy" when compared to some of the Brass kits around. Which of course, now I am looking, I can't find!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, Andy Keane said:

That's a really nice article. The coopercraft stuff looks nice.

Coopercraft have become a famous basket case in recent years. Don't have any financial dealings with them unless you can get the product in your hands in person when handing over money. Secondhand on eBay might be more trustworthy but either way I gather that the tooling they used became very old and worn so kits might not be high quality - lots of scarf and mis-registration.

Edited by Harlequin
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Harlequin said:

Coopercraft have become a famous basket case in recent years. Don't have any financial dealings with them unless you can get the product in your hands in person when handing over money. Secondhand on eBay might be more trustworthy but either way I gather that the tooling they used became very old and worn so kits might not be high quality - lots of scarf and mis-registration.

As it happens their web site is so broken I cannot even spend my money there!

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

These are an old Cooper Craft set of platform trollies, they're quite nicely detailed even down to the brake blocks. 

Worth hunting for on eBay.

IMG_20220622_214328.jpg.df2b1d73ff50551cafb906d3a92eb59a.jpg

The churns are antiquated but still available Dart Castings prewar pattern conical churns. The fencing is Ratio GWR pattern.

IMG_20220711_134705.jpg.3b5b02058275e97f91b6cde2cf50323e.jpg

The gates and fencing here are Ratio GWR pattern, you can probably make a neater job of painting those hinges!

IMG_20220713_115816.jpg.cdc7c52cc200c2cbcccf092203fbba83.jpg

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Rowsley17D said:

I think yard gates were generally left open and perhaps closed when animals were perhaps being loaded if you have the facilities.

Thanks Jonathan, I will go with open gates I think.