Chuffnell Regis

Graham T

20 hours ago, Graham T said:

I really can't seem to get to grips with this stuff!

Since I face the same challenge I did a quick look around and found a very helpful Youtube video by a Kiwi.

"Lineside Fencing on a Budget" on the Station Road channel. Lots of helpful advice, I've already bought my craft matches :)

Colin

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

What sounds like a good solution came up a bit earlier in this thread from @Andy Keane; Scale Model Scenery pre-drilled posts, but using fishing line instead of the bright wire supplied.  If I understood Andy correctly, the posts will be fitted to the layout, then the fishing line attached at one end, threaded through all the posts, drawn taut, and then only attached at the other end.

That sounds as if it could work!

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

I like that and the shadows don't detract from it, more like a typical English sky!

🍻

Needs some people as well now.  And a platform lamp.  And the post and rail fencing.  And, and, and!

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

That's looking the business there Graham.

Advertising signs by their very nature are very colourful anyway. But it could be that the chroma needs knocking back in order for them to recede. Think I might want to either spray a pale white or cream over all of them or a slight dusting of white weathering powder. You could try a test on some you haven't used yet.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Graham T said:

What sounds like a good solution came up a bit earlier in this thread from @Andy Keane; Scale Model Scenery pre-drilled posts, but using fishing line instead of the bright wire supplied.  If I understood Andy correctly, the posts will be fitted to the layout, then the fishing line attached at one end, threaded through all the posts, drawn taut, and then only attached at the other end.

I plan to actually thread them loosely before planting the posts, having super glued the line at one end where there is a straining post, tension against the other end straining post when in situ and lock the tension with more superglue. This goes in tomorrow evening at club night so I will report back afterwards.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Graham T said:

Good luck

15 minutes ago, Andy Keane said:

I plan to actually thread them loosely before planting the posts, having super glued the line at one end where there is a straining post, tension against the other end straining post when in situ and lock the tension with more superglue. This goes in tomorrow evening at club night so I will report back afterwards.

Good luck

Of course, an alternative.... is to leave the wires off completely. At "normal viewing distance" would they be seen? I suspect not, which is why my line side sheep graze peacefully, knowing that the wire is really there 😎

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, Graham T said:

Tsk tsk Neal.  You'll be leaving off the point rodding next...

Maybe that will be Henley-on-Thames Mk3 😄

I have gone so far now with ballasting around the station, it would be very difficult to add at this stage, although I would like to.

It would also be good to get some ground signals in..... I'm holding off as someone is bound to bring out the right versions for a GWR model.

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Andy Keane said:

This is the fence ready for planting. The support to the straining post is made by re-drilling a spare post - usefully as they have a foot for planting they are long enough for this.

20220829_161358.jpg.25ac27d7e5f7ec93a91cc35513076558.jpg

Edited by Andy Keane
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I received a brace of rather nice wiggly tin huts through the post today (after they'd taken a few days' holiday hiding in depths of the Austrian postal service).  These are courtesy of @Brinkly, and they really are good little pieces.  I'm wondering where to put them at Chuffnell R, there are lots of possibilities with these as you can imagine!

Near the engine shed maybe?

IMG20220829170349.jpg.9af0a8cdf3437e1ad9323d1dfb640474.jpg

I quite like the idea of one next to the pagoda hut on the platform...

IMG20220829170540.jpg.7d87e5c58c8130e324d0f9359749b0ce.jpg

And perhaps one to house the pump and so on for the water tower?

IMG20220829170600.jpg.15f54d4a9afa8d0ba531cf17d9f458db.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Neal Ball said:

Maybe that will be Henley-on-Thames Mk3 😄

I have gone so far now with ballasting around the station, it would be very difficult to add at this stage, although I would like to.

It would also be good to get some ground signals in..... I'm holding off as someone is bound to bring out the right versions for a GWR model.

I have a cunning plan to butcher some Dapol N gauge working / lit semaphore signals to make some working and lit ground signals. They may be a tad out of shape but I would really like a little twinkly ground signal light.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Andy Keane said:

This is the fence ready for planting. The support to the straining post is made by re-drilling a spare post - usefully  they have afoot for planting they are long enough for this.

That looks good Andy.  Waiting to see the finished result now!

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Graham T said:

I received a brace of rather nice wiggly tin huts through the post today (after they'd taken a few days' holiday hiding in depths of the Austrian postal service).  These are courtesy of @Brinkly, and they really are good little pieces.  I'm wondering where to put them at Chuffnell R, there are lots of possibilities with these as you can imagine!

These are lovely but I have a slight suspicion that you are putting off building that main station building?

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Andy Keane said:

I have a cunning plan to butcher some Dapol N gauge working / lit semaphore signals to make some working and lit ground signals. They may be a tad out of shape but I would really like a little twinkly ground signal light.

There are a few nutcases skilled modellers on RMWeb who have made their own working ground signals.  @Alister_G and @Sasquatch spring to mind.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
Just now, Andy Keane said:

These are lovely but I have a slight suspicion that you are putting off building that main station building?

Actually I'm quite looking forward to it!  But ask me again a few days after I've started...

At the moment I'm still scoping out the materials I need.  Awaiting a reply from York Modelmaking about windows, doors, tiles, and quoins.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, Andy Keane said:

This is the fence ready for planting. The support to the straining post is made by re-drilling a spare post - usefully as they have a foot for planting they are long enough for this.

Well that's the easy bit done, just the diggin' of a few holes to do with the chaps tomorrow night then.

Good luck Andy, hope it all goes to plan, looks promising.

• Agree 2

34 minutes ago, Graham T said:

You can't beat having a good selection of tin sheds, as in reality they seem to breed.

Wallingford_railway_station_(1960s).JPG.27ee25917782544522f403577b4b27d2.JPG

Wallingford, 1960s. Wikipedia.

• Like 5
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

They did indeed.  I'm wondering if two is enough?

Yes it is - I've also got another small white metal lamp hut to build, and a pair of the Wills plastic kits as well!

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Andy Keane said:

That’s not a bad idea…. But I would need loads, plus of course with the amount of space the bases for them are, the baseboard would start to look like a cheese grater and I might not be able to get them in.

I bet servos are the answer…