Chuffnell Regis

Graham T

And I shan’t be losing any sleep over the tender chassis, there are plenty of alternatives to sort it out. 
Im not convinced that even if the centre drivers were on the track it would make that much difference. Most 060 chassis need the centre axle to be able to lift a bit or else it would  Bob about the centre axle with the front and rear axles derailed and trying to crab along. Seen this too often. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

For the record 2516 is pulling 20 wagons plus a brake van easily here. (About 2/3rds modern Rapido wagons, 1/3rd older Bachmann and Hornby.)

She slips a bit on the 180° bends when she's heading one way and the tail is still heading the other so that's probably close to her limit.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
35 minutes ago, Harlequin said:

For the record 2516 is pulling 20 wagons plus a brake van easily here. (About 2/3rds modern Rapido wagons, 1/3rd older Bachmann and Hornby.)

She slips a bit on the 180° bends when she's heading one way and the tail is still heading the other so that's probably close to her limit.

I think we're missing a pic Phil?

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, Graham T said:

I think we're missing a pic Phil?

OK, well, taking a pic of a 20 wagon long goods train proved to be very difficult so I made a little video.

My layout is just a test oval, none of your lovely scenery or weathered rolling stock yet. (And I should have adjusted the joins on the lift out section before I started filming, ho hum.)

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Harlequin said:

OK, well, taking a pic of a 20 wagon long goods train proved to be very difficult so I made a little video.

My layout is just a test oval, none of your lovely scenery or weathered rolling stock yet. (And I should have adjusted the joins on the lift out section before I started filming, ho hum.)

Good point Phil!  Impressive performance there.  I don't have the space at Chuffnell R for a 20 wagon train, but even if I did I think my Dean Goods would struggle with it...

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, Graham T said:

Good point Phil!  Impressive performance there.  I don't have the space at Chuffnell R for a 20 wagon train, but even if I did I think my Dean Goods would struggle with it...

In my search for items on Helston I got a Trains Illustrated from 1952. It had an article on US heavy freight - 100 bogie coal wagons pulled up 1in 50 grades by compound 4-8-8-2 goliaths. How about one of those for CR2?

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Hi Graham

Lovely weathering job on the Dean. I found adding weight made a significant difference :

Its quite easy to do - it has to be if I managed it!

Best wishes

John

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

More Oxford Dean Goods news: I went into the cupboard of shame for a second time and got out 2309. This is the early version with pre-WW1 livery and known detail problems.

To my surprise, it too has a Zimo decoder and it hauls the same train around my test track but...

It's much slower, noisier and it slows down significantly when under heavy load. So this one seems to have the motor problem that might be fixable following the method posted by Sam of Sam's Trains. I will give that a try.

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, Harlequin said:

More Oxford Dean Goods news: I went into the cupboard of shame for a second time and got out 2309. This is the early version with pre-WW1 livery and known detail problems.

To my surprise, it too has a Zimo decoder and it hauls the same train around my test track but...

It's much slower, noisier and it slows down significantly when under heavy load. So this one seems to have the motor problem that might be fixable following the method posted by Sam of Sam's Trains. I will give that a try.

Interesting.  I think I'm glad that I only have the one Dean Goods ...  And anyway, I've got enough locos already...

... haven't I?

• Like 3
  • Funny 1

2 minutes ago, Graham T said:

Interesting.  I think I'm glad that I only have the one Dean Goods ...  And anyway, I've got enough locos already...

... haven't I?

I keep telling myself that!

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Graham T said:

... haven't I?

We always seem to find room for more .  .  .

Pannier anyone ?

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, longchap said:

We always seem to find room for more .  .  .

Pannier anyone ?

Oh yes, valid point Bill.  I only have three panniers, so definitely room for another of those 🙂

• Round of applause 3

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Harlequin said:

My Dean goods has not been out for a good while so I had a go today. It seems it could really do with some decent stay alive. Have you guys added stay alive and if so how / where?

Andy

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Andy Keane said:

My Dean goods has not been out for a good while so I had a go today. It seems it could really do with some decent stay alive. Have you guys added stay alive and if so how / where?

Andy

Haven’t felt the need. Mine run reliably without.

With pickups in loco and tender they really shouldn’t need stay alive. It might be worth checking the pickups are touching the wheels first.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Harlequin said:

Haven’t felt the need. Mine run reliably without.

With pickups in loco and tender they really shouldn’t need stay alive. It might be worth checking the pickups are touching the wheels first.

Likewise here. Over the year my Dean had the Loksound chip installed, adding a stay alive would have involved complications I didn't want so I managed without.

I never had troubles with slow operation across my longest Insulfrog points of the the old layout.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, Andy Keane said:

Andy

I use stay-alives in my locos to compensate for my appallingly laid track Andy.  Most of them are Kung Fu from Digitrains, which I've found to be excellent.  I can get up to 10 seconds of power out of them!  I've heard that they shouldn't be connected directly to the decoder, but Digitrains tell me that's exactly what they do, and I've had no issues with them.

But as @Harlequin and @BWsTrains both say, with the tender pick-ups you shouldn't really need one...

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, Tortuga said:

Just to remind everyone other railways are available; I’ve always got room for any unwanted MR/LMS Fowler 4F 0-6-0s or LNWR 7F 0-8-0 ‘Super D’s!

You've probably seen that black locos often make an appearance here at Chuffnell R.  The stable so far includes an ex-MR 3F, a Jinty, and an ex-MR 1P.  Waiting in the wings, either for bits of work to be done and/or sound decoders, are an ex-S&DJR 7F, a Compound, a 4F, a Black Five, and an Ivatt 4MT.

• Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
50 minutes ago, Graham T said:

You've probably seen that black locos often make an appearance here at Chuffnell R.  The stable so far includes an ex-MR 3F, a Jinty, and an ex-MR 1P.  Waiting in the wings, either for bits of work to be done and/or sound decoders, are an ex-S&DJR 7F, a Compound, a 4F, a Black Five, and an Ivatt 4MT.

"Hello, my name is Graham and I'm a loco collectaholic !"

Most of us are just the same and I've not updated my stock list for a little while, so only have a vague idea of the tally 🤔

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, longchap said:

"Hello, my name is Graham and I'm a loco collectaholic !"

Very true, I'm afraid Bill!

I've also been doing a little work on one of my two small prairies.  4539 has had her GWR logo replaced by a shirt button.  I removed the original lettering with a fibreglass pencil, then polished the tank sides with a scratch remover (couldn't get T-Cut over here).  A coat of Humbrol clear varnish, and then a Railtec shirt button applied using micro set, before a final coat of matt varnish.  Now I need to allow the varnish to set properly before some gentle weathering.

IMG_2074.jpeg.c93139dc6d56d64fdc93656627e657c3.jpeg

I'm not sure whether I need to add a couple of lamp irons on the soleplate above the cylinder.  Photos I've seen of the 4575 class have them, but I can't find a corresponding photo of this class.  Does anyone know?

She also needs some buffer beam numbers; I was very pleased to see that Steve at @railtec-models now does these as bespoke sets, so I need to do a check through my locos for what's required before getting my order in 🙂

Edited by Graham T
  • Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

I am pleased to say that I am not a locoholic; after all everyone needs  4 Castle class locos surely….

However I might need to admit to being a carriageholic 🤣 I definitely have too many carriages for even the busiest Regatta service 😎 At least I can run specials to all parts of the system 😎😎

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Graham T said:

Very true, I'm afraid Bill!

I've also been doing a little work on one of my two small prairies.  4539 has had her GWR logo replaced by a shirt button.  I removed the original lettering with a fibreglass pencil, then polished the tank sides with a scratch remover (couldn't get T-Cut over here).  A coat of Humbrol clear varnish, and then a Railtec shirt button applied using micro set, before a final coat of matt varnish.  Now I need to allow the varnish to set properly before some gentle weathering.

IMG_2074.jpeg.c93139dc6d56d64fdc93656627e657c3.jpeg

I'm not sure whether I need to add a couple of lamp irons on the soleplate above the cylinder.  Photos I've seen of the 4575 class have them, but I can't find a corresponding photo of this class.  Does anyone know?

She also needs some buffer beam numbers; I was very pleased to see that Steve at Railtec now does these as bespoke sets, so I need to do a check through my locos for what's required before getting my order in 🙂

Have you looked the loco up in the “Priarie papers” books Graham? Almost a photo of every 2-6-2T

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1