Chuffnell Regis

Graham T

• RMweb Gold
30 minutes ago, Graham T said:

I might give it a go...  It will bother me otherwise!  Silly mistake to make, down to rushing for the finish line when I should have been looking for reference photos.

Have you got or can get hold of de-bonder? It'll soften the superglue and all should be easier to part from each other.

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

33 minutes ago, Graham T said:

I might give it a go...  It will bother me otherwise!  Silly mistake to make, down to rushing for the finish line when I should have been looking for reference photos.

We've all done it. I followed an online magazine article as a shortcut when building my autocoach chassis before realising that it was completely wrong and had to slice off a whole lot of delicate etched parts before starting again.

I rested the parts on a small block of wood and cut / levered downward onto it, which would probably work with the V hangers.

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, Rowsley17D said:

Have you got or can get hold of de-bonder? It'll soften the superglue and all should be easier to part from each other.

I might just look to get hold of some of that myself. Daft question, where would I find it?

• RMweb Gold
53 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

I might just look to get hold of some of that myself. Daft question, where would I find it?

Major diy stores should sell it along with superglue. B&Q usually stock it. I've had some years bought at York show along with Powerbond superglue.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Rowsley17D said:

As it's metal to metal bonding, acetone or MEK (and even possibly Ethyl Acetate) should do the trick of softening the set CA enough to separate. I been told acetone is what they keep in Casualty for when various careless folk's body parts become firmly glued together thru accident or protest.

Clearly, any solvent should not get near the molded PS components.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

So, teeth were gritted, loins girded, and fingers crossed.  Some delicate prying about with a number 11 blade managed to remove the mis-shaped levers, and I bent up some new ones (probably still in the wrong shape!)  This will have to do now.  Time permitting I'll try to give it a coat of primer tomorrow.

IMG_3350.jpg.b6abd2bf022603dde76559a41f37aa3d.jpg

IMG_3345.jpg.c6327d3d9c3558ae4bb18835c70de348.jpg

• Like 15

It's a very nice looking van, I'll be interested to see what it looks like painted and lettered as I do happen to have an identical kit for the all steel van, it's certainly a change from iron minks, of which I must have half a dozen.

Vans are I think, the reason why I got into collecting and building wagon kits.

Back around 1980 when I started reading old RMs and MRC's, I realised that the RTR of the time was part modern image, part fiction and a couple of BR vent vans from Mainline which looked okay, apart from the sliding doors, which owed more to the play value of Dinky Toys than a supposed scale model.

Even when I was nine, I was a bit strange!

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 3

Much better and congratulations on taking the plunge to get it corrected  improve it!

I’m sure we’ve all been there (I know I have) and at least half the battle is psyching yourself up to take a knife to a model* that you were perfectly happy with until you noticed / someone pointed out some niggling error.

(*or rip up the track again / demolish some scenery / pull down a wall / re-solder balance weights / etc. etc. etc.)

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Tortuga said:

Much better and congratulations on taking the plunge to get it corrected  improve it!

I’m sure we’ve all been there (I know I have) and at least half the battle is psyching yourself up to take a knife to a model* that you were perfectly happy with until you noticed / someone pointed out some niggling error.

(*or rip up the track again / demolish some scenery / pull down a wall / re-solder balance weights / etc. etc. etc.)

Thanks, I'm glad I did it.  Just wait until I start tearing up the whole layout to make way for Chuffnell Regis Mk II...

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Morning Graham, 

Ditto re Wolfie. Had it not been for exhibitions then I'd also be in the done B.O camp. 

But it's now the modelling season........'tis the season to be jolly ! 

Rob  

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold

Good to see you back, Graham. It's threads like yours that keeps me on going through what I am going through, so let's get some modelling going ladies and gentlemen to take my mind off things for a little while.

• Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, Rowsley17D said:

Good to see you back, Graham. It's threads like yours that keeps me on going through what I am going through, so let's get some modelling going ladies and gentlemen to take my mind off things for a little while.

Thank you Jonathan.  Your situation crossed my mind when I wrote my last post, and stopped me from moaning more about my lot.  There are always people far worse off than ourselves, however dark things may seem.  Once again, I wish you all the best, and thank you for your words.  You've encouraged me to do some more modelling, which is very good of you.

• Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold

I've had the same malaise - got distracted/lumbered, and felt motivation ebbing away.  All I've done in the last month is clean the track. But today I'm going to make a 'to do' list. 

LMS van and wagons looking good Graham.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold

With thanks again to Jonathan (@Rowsley17D) for getting me moving again, I thought that perhaps something with a Midland flavour might be appropriate for the next project.  So, the Fowler 2P was hauled onto the workbench to get some brakes fitted to its tender.  Here it is at the start of play, with a distinct lack of anything remotely like brakes...

IMG_3369.jpg.c76b9d6398834b8170219c26da294f21.jpg

I'm using a set from Alan Gibson, which as well as brake hangers and shoes also includes two gauges of brass wire.  A little bit of head scratching and pondering, and I decided that the simplest way to start would be to superglue some plasticard spacers onto the sides of the tender keeper plate.  This gave me something to fix the brakes onto at more or less the right spacing from the side frames.  I just needed to make sure that there was enough space between the brake shoe and the wheel itself to allow the latter to still move from side to side without fowling.

IMG_3370.jpeg.08890616d13aa7845cd6f2505b048886.jpeg

So far so good, and so the next brake could be fitted.  I'm still not quite sure how to fix the last one though, as the keeper plate doesn't extend to the rear of the trailing wheels.  Any bright ideas very gratefully received!

IMG_3371.jpeg.fbf2dd3a51df325c9b290ad888a08d7d.jpeg

Turning to the other side of the tender, I started to repeat the process, using the supplied brass wire for the connecting rods.

IMG_3372.jpeg.ce21110ebeee1ed4348e0c248b798ea3.jpeg

• Like 12
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold

It's quite a job to retrofit tender brakes needing 2 pairs of hands. I didn't fit a rearmost set due to the coupling block and only the bottom part of the hanger would be visible any way. 

• Like 3