Chuffnell Regis

Graham T

19 hours ago, Graham T said:

I was in grey cabs rather than green.  Whenever I spoke to any troops they were 100% in favour of being supported by the dark blue rather than the crabfat version!

100%

17 hours ago, Andy Keane said:

I worked with a paratrooper once who was forever doing exercise in northern Norway - his view was simple, pale blue might turn up if the weather was nice and it was a Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday, green came most days, most weathers, dark blue never left them in his entire service career!

Pretty much my experience on exercises though to be fair to them the Crab Chinook ERT/MERT crews clearly thought they were matelots and I was once hooked from a very hairy situation by a Puma, much to our surprise. That said, they'd dropped us there in the first place.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
On 23/02/2024 at 19:36, JustinDean said:

If the DPM is installed correctly floor joists won’t rot. Underneath should stay dry! My first build is over 10 years old and no moisture ingress whatsoever. 

Jay

Give it another 10 years. It's the rain landing on the pad that the joists are in direct contact with that's the issue (in my case 1 ton of Type1, sand and slabs). The underneath of my >20yr old workshop is dry, sure enough. The outer floor joists however are starting to succumb to some rot where they are are exposed to the weather, despite lots of creosoting. Having a lot of leaf litter to contend with doesn't help either.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, 57xx said:

Give it another 10 years. It's the rain landing on the pad that the joists are in direct contact with that's the issue (in my case 1 ton of Type1, sand and slabs). The underneath of my >20yr old workshop is dry, sure enough. The outer floor joists however are starting to succumb to some rot where they are are exposed to the weather, despite lots of creosoting. Having a lot of leaf litter to contend with doesn't help either.

Ah I see your issue there. 
I have a layer of neoprene rubber between the floor joists and base. Also the outer wall forms a skirt extending below the top on the concrete pad. It’ll be fine 10 years from now. 

Jay

Edited by JustinDean
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, JustinDean said:

Ah I see your issue there. 
I have a layer of neoprene rubber between the floor joists and skirt. Also the outer wall forms a skirt extending below the top on the concrete pad. It’ll be fine 10 years from now. 

Funnily enough, fitting an outer skirt to the afflicted side is on the cards for this summer, I hope I have caught it in time. Hopefully it will have the double effect of keeping the leaf litter off the joist and keeping it dry. I fitted a gutter to that side many years ago which helped reduce the amount of water falling to the floor but with the intensity of rains storms these days it needs more assistance.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, 57xx said:

Funnily enough, fitting an outer skirt to the afflicted side is on the cards for this summer, I hope I have caught it in time. Hopefully it will have the double effect of keeping the leaf litter off the joist and keeping it dry. I fitted a gutter to that side many years ago which helped reduce the amount of water falling to the floor but with the intensity of rains storms these days it needs more assistance.

Fingers crossed you sort it! 

Jay

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hope the move is going well Graham, it sure can be a very stressful time.

I just came across a post from 2021, when I was in the same situation, good luck.

Screenshot 2024-03-18 at 05.45.48.png

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold

Thanks George.  Still waiting for all the paperwork to go through, and hoping that the sharks solicitors don’t uncover any snurglies…

• Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Graham T said:

Thanks George.  Still waiting for all the paperwork to go through, and hoping that the sharks solicitors don’t uncover any snurglies…

Righteous and hopeful Sheep here, sending some positive waves. It's a mother beautiful house. 

OddSheep. 

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

mother beautiful

I know it takes all sorts to make a world, but...!

Fingers x'd for you Graham. I'm just off to the solicitors to sign on the dotted line and confirm all's good to complete by the end of the month, so I'm with you in spirit!

Edited by Schooner
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Righteous and hopeful Sheep here, sending some positive waves. It's a mother beautiful house. 

OddSheep. 

Thanks for the positive waves Rob 🙂

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Schooner said:

I know it takes all sorts to make a world, but...!

Fingers x'd for you Graham. I'm just off to the solicitors to sign on the dotted line and confirm all's good to complete by the end of the month, so I'm with you in spirit!

I won’t offer my congratulations just yet - wouldn’t want to be a jinx!

• Friendly/supportive 2

18 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

OddSheep. 

Well said, let's hope Graham is soon drinking wine, eating cheese and building some baseboards...

As for the solicitors, you'll make a deal with them, they're probably republicans...

Woof Woof.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1