RMweb

Chuffnell Regis

Graham T

• RMweb Gold

The second cattle wagon has now had a blast of grey primer.  I'm going to leave it this colour, as I don't want the two to look the same.  Some weathering will bring them a little closer, but still not identical greys.  The roof isn't fitted to the LMS one yet, as I still have to paint the inside.

IMG_3485.jpeg.cda4e6c2b72d822640903692f9bf7577.jpeg

• Like 17
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, BroadLeaves said:

Are you going to add any "passengers" before gluing the roof on?

I hadn't thought about it to be honest.  Ideally I should have enough wagons (and cattle) to make up one empty and one full train, I suppose...

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, Graham T said:

I hadn't thought about it to be honest.  Ideally I should have enough wagons (and cattle) to make up one empty and one full train, I suppose...

If you designate them 'sheep wagons ', you can consider them full or empties as desired 🤗

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Graham, I've just remembered that Gaugemaster do some pretty good illuminated wall fixed station lamps (Hattons is best for us expats, as no Brexit tax and they had some in stock a few days ago). I'll be screwing mine to my station building in due course.

Best,

Bill

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
29 minutes ago, longchap said:

Hi Graham, I've just remembered that Gaugemaster do some pretty good illuminated wall fixed station lamps (Hattons is best for us expats, as no Brexit tax and they had some in stock a few days ago). I'll be screwing mine to my station building in due course.

Best,

Bill

The only thing I'd caution with the Gaugemaster lamps is that they might well be overscale Bill; I considered them for my platform lamps, see this pic:

image.png.54386ad4ccaabb33cff723c55ccc14b9.png

The ones I've used are the Dart Castings lamps in the middle.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Are Legacy Models the same as Gaugmaster? The column bases are certainly too high and could easily be reduced  (taller ones would have been used in goods yards for greater coverage), but I'd need to dig out my Gaugemaster branded ones, together with some from Dart Castings to get a better impression.

I'm also not sure that DCC Concepts / Legacy units are strictly GWR pattern, or simply a generic railway lookalikes.

Edited by longchap

4 hours ago, Graham T said:

I've been tinkering with the paint on the two new cattle wagons, and decided to give them a run on the layout...

IMG_3493.jpeg.e175428d6567841d22d35803e57fafcc.jpeg

Which has got me thinking that the grey on the LMS wagon (last one in the train) is actually too light.  I'd be interested to hear what others think, but I'm inclined to splash some slightly darker grey on it.

The other wagons are a bit of a mix as you can see.  Starting off with a Parkside kit, then a couple of Bachmann RTR.

IMG_3494.jpeg.10aeceef7e566989a1ae107374d84477.jpeg

Then three more RTR from Dapol...

IMG_3495.jpeg.94bdc22fb9e26c237a150a9e771ec64e.jpeg

And finally another two Bachmann RTR, the Slater's kit, and the Parkside kit.

IMG_3496.jpeg.70bf89ea29b00214ec02d39bbc158ecc.jpeg

I find those photos of your cattle wagons very mooooo-ving,

• Round of applause 2
  • Funny 1

16 hours ago, Graham T said:

I've been tinkering with the paint on the two new cattle wagons, and decided to give them a run on the layout...

IMG_3493.jpeg.e175428d6567841d22d35803e57fafcc.jpeg

Which has got me thinking that the grey on the LMS wagon (last one in the train) is actually too light.  I'd be interested to hear what others think, but I'm inclined to splash some slightly darker grey on it.

The other wagons are a bit of a mix as you can see.  Starting off with a Parkside kit, then a couple of Bachmann RTR.

IMG_3494.jpeg.10aeceef7e566989a1ae107374d84477.jpeg

Then three more RTR from Dapol...

IMG_3495.jpeg.94bdc22fb9e26c237a150a9e771ec64e.jpeg

And finally another two Bachmann RTR, the Slater's kit, and the Parkside kit.

IMG_3496.jpeg.70bf89ea29b00214ec02d39bbc158ecc.jpeg

I think you're going to need more extensive cattle handling facilities at CR, definitely on CR II with all those wagons to unload!

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
52 minutes ago, BWsTrains said:

I think you're going to need more extensive cattle handling facilities at CR, definitely on CR II with all those wagons to unload!

Surely the train is picking up - or setting down - wagons, two or three at a time, at various yards along the line?

CJI.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
On 11/11/2023 at 14:12, Graham T said:

A little bit of progress.  The first two platform lamps have been painted, with Railmatch dark and light stone.  I added Glue and Glaze to them as well, but you can't see it in these photos.  The lamps are only dropped into holes in the platform, and not glued in place.

IMG_3488.jpeg.6e9de8907e5571c912d59ab282b0d53a.jpeg

IMG_3490.jpeg.4acf940f33c6160c11a5c17d96724571.jpeg

Its interesting how different in colour your dark stone seems to be compared to that supplied by Phoenix which has a much warmer tone. But I know its a topic that stirs some controversy!

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

I don't suppose I'd ever really run a train that long into Chuffnell R (in its present form, anyway), but I just fancied putting all the cattle wagons together to see how they looked!

But your mention of the cattle market does remind me that I still need to come up with a back story for the layout...  

• Like 5