Chuffnell Regis

Graham T

• RMweb Gold

I've now made a start on the second, smaller section between the two bridges.  Applied some lessons learned, and made the gaps in the lattice smaller, as well as using a less dilute PVA.  This seems to work better, although there is still some work to be done.  I also had another face/palm moment when I thought about the motor for the point just to the left of the steel bridge, that leads into the station throat.  Some of the groundwork will obviously have to be lifted in due course.  Still - all good practice!

IMG20210513175201.jpg.c8e63dfa547af4c0125ad8809145b902.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

I just had a brainwave (that happens occasionally).  The baseboard is ply over battens spaced at 12" intervals.  So I can cut a space in the ply from below, then reach up to the elevated section to fit the point motor from underneath.  The Boss might grump a little about using the jigsaw indoors, but needs must and all that...

Edited by Graham T
Enormous baseboard...
  • Like 4

I've been forced to make various post baseboard construction messes, I used styrene as the land forms for one thing. 

I got round it by getting the memsahib to keep the hoover hose right next to whatever Exhibit A I was hacking lumps off with.

The mess didn't have a chance and she can't blame me for any missed bits.

Although as a man I would be expected to take the blame regardless.

I'm just saying that there's ways of including your significant other in your hobby, so that it's not like fishing - Eg a concerted attempt to spend days avoiding her...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

There's another Rule 1 Rob, as I'm sure you know.

1.  In an interaction between a man and a woman, the man is always wrong.

2.  If by some quirk of fate the man happens to be right, refer to Rule 1.

• RMweb Gold

The postman came up trumps today, and this arrived.  It's the Lima parcels van.  Not cosmetically perfect (but then which of us is?) but it should clean up nicely with some weathering and a bit of detailing.

IMG20210514134254.jpg.b02bc25c942a855b4a88972bbd478e96.jpg

IMG20210514134207.jpg.a9fccef8a1c740a85dd920480a1b9222.jpg

• Like 3

I do like the old British Railways liveries, though I don't remember anything before the blue and grey.

Designers of modern train / bus liveries seem to get their inspiration from the shelves of the local chemist.

In other news: If a man tells a woman that she is right, is he still wrong?

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

I've also slapped some paint onto the lamp hut.  I can see that I need to do some touching up around the window, and of course it will get suitably weathered in due course.  I used Vallejo acrylics; dark flesh for the light stone, black grey for the roof, and a 2:1 mix of amaranth red and chocolate brown for the dark stone.  I'll glaze the window with Kristal Kleer once I've done the touching up.

Yes my approach to the layout build is a bit scatter-gun, but that's one of the nice things about the hobby I find - lots of variety.

IMG20210514154810.jpg.3636a6c1fb7257a83b258d1444e85535.jpg

• Like 6

On 13/05/2021 at 07:58, Graham T said:

he covering hasn't dried out fully yet.  When it does it will get a coat of brown acrylic.  I'm not very happy with the wrinkles but am struggling to get rid of them (theres a quotable comment if ever I saw one!)

A layer of Sculptamould will do the trick - its a mix of papier mache and plaster and covers well. My embankments were a hardboard backing, wet crumpled and shaped kitchen rolls and a 1/4" or so layer of the mix and it died out solid enough on its own and is robust enough to take the likes of poles.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Graham T said:

Can't get it here in Austria though, it seems 

You can make it yourself. There are a few recipes on the 'tube'. Because as Ben said, it's just papier mache with plaster.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

In shock meteorological news, there was an unexpected late snowfall in Chuffnell Regis this morning...

The latest effort to be wrinkle-free - a very thin layer of polyfilla spread over the groundwork with a wet finger.  Let's see how it looks with a coat of earth brown paint.

IMG20210515120148.jpg.decf69e325713ac65537d4d22b2b2dd1.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Not made much progress today, as the boss wanted to take me for a walk along the Danube (not all of it).  Which I must say was very pleasant.  I don't think she noticed that I was checking out the colour of the river from various angles, so that I could do this when we got home...

I've lightened the acrylic colours on the river bed, and added a first coat of varnish.  I'm still not sure if it might be too dark overall; will see how things look in a few days when I've added a few more coats.  I can always paint on top of the varnish if I do decide that I need to lighten things up a bit.  As always, I'd appreciate hearing any views :)

IMG20210516144830.jpg.d1deb74560f83d6832a86b77284c9852.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I've slowly been building up the layers of varnish on the river; I think it's gradually beginning to look the part.  Now I'm wondering how to create some ripples on the final surface.  I've also made a start on kit-bashing the Scalescenes small engine shed, in an effort to make it look something like the Wallingford shed.  More to come on that later...

IMG20210517150051.jpg.cd1ef928e7dcc0ea5c0565a0569559a8.jpg

• Like 5