4mm BR Blue on IKEA shelf

bcnPete

• RMweb Gold

Good morning,

I was running this as a thread on RMWeb 3 but finally thought I should start a thread for it here, separate to my 2FS dabblings.

Basically, it's a small layout for my two boys, once again, built on my favourite IKEA lack shelves (no connection, just satisfied customer etc) and they can be slid on and off the wall using the discrete cantilevered shelf brackets.

The layout is not based upon a prototype (I wish I had done so now as I find that more interesting to research) and uses the fiddle yard as the run around for short trains. I have since replaced the traverser with cassettes and added a disused track on the bridge which will be overgrown with grass and weeds etc.

I have acquired far too much stock for the layout (as usual) including the following:

Bachmann 08, Hornby 25, Hornby 31, ViTrains 37, Heljan 47, Hornby 50, Hornby/lima 121 Bubble car, Bachmann Mk I,s and early MK II's, Bachmann 12 Ton vans, TTA's, Clay hoods (of course ;)) and 16 Ton minerals.

The idea of the short kickback china clay siding was to add a bit of visual interest along the front of the shelf.

The layout uses Peco code 75 and came together very quickly. I now need to spray the track and ballast it as am under pressure from my two sons!

The original thread can be found here.....http://www.rmweb.co....php?f=9&t=42317

I will post some more up to date photos soon, should anyone be interested.

Comments welcome.

Pete

post-3290-127572138018_thumb.jpg

post-3290-127572139332_thumb.jpg

post-3290-127572141713_thumb.jpg

post-3290-127572143025_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Colin - Thanks and sorry about the delay - I attach a few more pics from a small 'operating session' earlier today with my kids.

Not much has changed - I have swapped the traverser for cassettes (there will be 6 in total) and I have extended the backscene around the fiddleyard to enclose it a little.

Marc - Thanks also - Well...you know how it is to juggle different layouts of different scales...I must admit I do like a bit of 4mm every so often...and this layout gives me the perfect excuse :lol:

I would like to progress it and I am sure that just a few evenings work could see the track sprayed, ballast, a few weeds, and the depot, station and bridge all moved on which would transform it considerably...it's just finding those evenings between everything which is tricky :rolleyes:

post-3290-128024554635_thumb.jpg

Overall from end of sidings...

post-3290-128024556735.jpg

Looking back from the bridge...

post-3290-128024558896.jpg

Traverser has been ditched in favour of cassettes...

post-3290-128024560765.jpg

Power issue still to be sorted to cassettes...bulldog clips at present...

post-3290-128024563389.jpg

37 on hoods at china clay works...

post-3290-128024566339.jpg

And again...card formers await plastic sheet overlays...

• 4 years later...
  • RMweb Gold

5 years on and my kids have asked me to get the layout to the next level of detail.

Between us we have been ballasting, prepping platforms and increasing the back scene height so we can make a Scalescenes station in low relief.

They are pretty excited by it and seeing as how I am on a loss of mojo for my own layouts at present, it's a welcome break...

post-3290-0-09392000-1437846562.jpg

post-3290-0-84926600-1437846577.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Great to catch up with this thread Pete :D

Certainly looking good with some nice touches already.

Do you need a large logo Class 50 on there? ;)

Cheers,

Mark

• RMweb Gold

Great to catch up with this thread Pete :D

Certainly looking good with some nice touches already.

Do you need a large logo Class 50 on there? ;)

Thanks Mark!

I built it 5 years ago but only now the boys are asking me to work up the scenics. Ballast complete, static grass added yesterday and made a start on the station building which although will be thin it gives it some depth - more updates when I can.

BTW, I do have a Hornby LL class 50 ;)

• RMweb Gold

Not really a great photo given the lighting, but shows progress from yesterday.

That's an original Hornby HST that my brother bought off e-Bay, stripped it down and got it working again...bit big for the layout but the boys like it.

(bit of BR blue brain washing in evidence ;))

post-3290-0-70036100-1440149857.jpg

• RMweb Gold

BTW, I do have a Hornby LL class 50 ;)

Great stuff! :D

Think we need a photo of it on the clay hoods in the style of a John Vaughan photo ;)

Cheers,

Mark

• RMweb Gold

Hi Pete,

Nice layout. How big is it?

Thanks Colin

It's 1900mm long x 260mm wide (the IKEA shelf) and the scenic section measures approx 1080mm. The Fiddle Yard allows a loco and two coaches and they have far too much rolling stock for a layout this size...but that's my fault!

Pete

Archived