The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Litter

Mike 84C

I think that there are multiple reasons for this problem getting worse.

Firstly, the operators at a lot of sites seem to enjoy lording their power of veto

over anyone with a van, treating anyone with a van like a criminal, it's almost

always their opinion that if it's in a van it's commercial, even if it's a bit of garden

waste out of a hired van, driven by a woman (happened to my neighbour).

But they'll accept anything out of a car, doesn't matter what it is!

Secondly, the waste license you have to have hasn't been thought through, as

usual, it was meant to cut down on scrap metal theft, but has encouraged more

fly-tipping, as some want to avoid the cost of joining the scheme.

Then the councils complain about the cost of clearing up the dumped rubbish,

but don't seem to realise that it would cost a lot less to make it easier to provide 

better facilities for disposing, which should encourage less fly-tipping.

This is down to giving accountants to much say in day-to-day running of councils,

and their creative accounting methods, one day we might realise that it's all money

from the same place, you can't separate it out into different categories, just to justify

your job, at the expense of real efficiency.

• Agree 2
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, DaveF said:

I sometimes think my bit of England is very different from many other places.

If I want to take something to the tip I have a pleasant ten minute drive, go straight in, reverse into a parking/unloading space, deposit the rubbish and leave.  If I am unsure which skip to use there is always someone there to ask.

A permit is needed for a van or trailer and there is a charge for large amounts of rubble etc.

I think I once had to wait for about five minutes when I went on a Bank Holiday.

A lot of places are getting rather clogged up due to Covid restrictions slowing things down. Different places also seem to have very different rules. My local tip is just turn up as normal, although they're keeping the numbers in it down; I've been twice this year, once had to queue for about half an hour, once went straight in as usual. Normally the staff will help people unload, which they're not doing now, which will also slow things down a bit.

At primary school our headmistress ruled with a rod of iron and drummed into us “don’t drop litter”. That has stayed with me all my life and I think education is needed at an early age. Also the amount of disposable packaging on ready to eat food is a problem, perhaps we should think about returning to properly organised formal meals rather than snacking. No easy answers other than the simple one of take your litter home. 

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
31 minutes ago, Hibelroad said:

At primary school our headmistress ruled with a rod of iron and drummed into us “don’t drop litter”.

What, upset, scare, intimidate or frighten children instead of letting them do whatever they feel like so you don't "harm" them?

• RMweb Gold

A lot of people round here complained when the council brought in appointments for the tip last year - I think it works much better though. I had to go a few times last summer, and found I rarely had to wait more than a few minutes, compared to an hour or more in previous years. 

It may also have helped that I avoided the local tip and went down to Winchester instead, despite being a smaller site, it seems to be better laid out than the Basingstoke one.

Edited by Nick C

Years ago we had a load of rubish dumped in a field gateway, including an invoice. The police were involved and the perpetrator removed it in return for not being prosecuted. About a week later the copper found it in another gateway! (not ours)

• Friendly/supportive 4