Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Laptop Advice and Recommendations Please?

Ray Von

• RMweb Premium

The one you’ve linked to has 4gb of RAM and 64gb of Flash memory - so not 32gb of either?

As long as you’re happy. For £95 it’s got to be worth a punt!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, njee20 said:

The one you’ve linked to has 4gb of RAM and 64gb of Flash memory - so not 32gb of either?

As long as you’re happy. For £95 it’s got to be worth a punt!

I think that's the next model up, my one is 4GB RAM and 32GB memory, the other one is around £299.99 new!  

Edited by Ray Von
Typo

14 hours ago, Ray Von said:

I have WiFi speed of 35mbps - that's pretty good isn't it? 

It does not seem so long ago that corporate networks used 10Mbps connections, which was fine for things like spreadsheets.

Our Mac users, on the other hand, were dissatisfied with 100Mbps. This was not because they were fussy, or simply because they used Macs. It was because they constantly edited large images, considered enormous compared to a Word document....& they had Macs because they were better machines for doing such work.

There are lots of potential bottlenecks: Your wifi speed, your ADSL/cable connection speed, how busy your local exchange is & the same at each hop down the line, right to the server you are trying to download from.

35Mbps is more than enough for a good video connection because these use efficient compression to work over such links.

• Informative/Useful 1

3 minutes ago, Pete the Elaner said:

There are lots of potential bottlenecks: Your wifi speed, your ADSL/cable connection speed, how busy your local exchange is & the same at each hop down the line, right to the server you are trying to download from.

And if I've got the tumble drier on!