RMweb

TTA Wagon Data Panel confusion

So building a rake of wagons I've reached the point of decals, off to Fox I went and ordered the necessary sheets, they arrived the next day and then I'm stumped!

The supplied decals for the panels are black text on white background and white text on a black background, why the difference? ... so off researching I go again only to find the following:

https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/trlclassa/ec63016d

https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/trlclassa/e1eac0ff2

Why were 2 versions used, does this implicate something different to the wagons or the contents, is it an indication of where the wagons were painted/refurb'd/converted??? 

TIA for any answers. 

46 minutes ago, Mark Saunders said:

Your reading too much into it the Hazchem was the guide to contents and till about 1990 grey with red solebar was mandatory for class A products!

So why the difference in the TOPS panel colour? From the pics I've seen the Hazchem/TOPS panels started appearing in early 80's which I'm guessing is when the solebar colours changed to black only.

Agree completely with Mark. One of the mysteries that is likely to never be understood completely. 

All of these are, of course, added years after manufacture of the wagon and I simply suspect it is what the individual works had as a process for making these, or what a local firm could do for them. Private companies mainly seem to have taken a long time to get around to adding TOPS codes to their wagons, often a decade or more later than BR itself which does seem to have worked very hard at marking their own fleet - sometimes quite untidily. In contrast the private wagon yellow TOPS number plates were produced and put on the wagons quickly. 

Paul

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

6 hours ago, DigitalGraham said:

:good: Well who knew, BR was a little disjointed and no defined consistent approach to a simple task :o

Ok, so off I go to randomly throw the decals on and weather the rake. Thanks guys 

Its nothing to do with BR, these are privately owned and maintained. 

Nothing a "little" disjointed about BR, it was very disjointed, especially when it came to the outer appearance of freight stock. 

Paul

2 hours ago, hmrspaul said:

Its nothing to do with BR, these are privately owned and maintained. 

Nothing a "little" disjointed about BR, it was very disjointed, especially when it came to the outer appearance of freight stock. 

Paul

I agree Paul, TBF the railway hasn't changed, it's much the same today :lol: 

Thanks again for the advice, hopefully I can do these wagons some justice.