Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Extreme E 2021

Zomboid

For discussion thereof...

The desert x-prix is reminiscent of some sci-fi computer games.

Based on qualifying for the first one, the racing could well be insane.

The rest of the calendar for 2021

29-30 May: Lac Rose, Dakar, Senegal

28-29 August: Kangerlussuaq, Greenland

23-24 October: Santarem, Para, Brazil

11-12 December: Tierra del Fuego, Argentina

• Like 4

I missed it yesterday so have just fired up the BBC iPlayer to watch from the beginning. Within the first minute of the show the excitable presenter threw out this gem - "it will take no prisoners, it's taken 2 already!" so the only way is up ;)

The cars looked good on Top Gear a few weeks back and the racing looks promising despite the pitiful range and whining noise assaulting the ears which, I guess, will continue to be an issue.

Having only watched the first heat so far racing in the sand isn't a great idea, rally stages yes, but not an actual race. Within the first few hundred yards everyone was blind except the leader so race done. 

Not convinced by only 3 cars on track at once either but it's new and I shall cut it some slack for the moment.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Watchable fun, but not sure how long it’s quirky nature will hold interest.

I really don’t get the “worthiness” of how sending cars through a range of fragile environments is helping to save the planet.

Talking of “worthiness”, it’s amusing that teams pair male and female drivers, but only from a limited set of countries (F1 is more diverse).  Were representatives of other countries not invited - particularly from those who might know their local conditions better?

The cars have no gears and high torque, so it seems so far that it’s simply finding the best line and putting the hammer down.  Electric dune buggies, this time.  Will they use studded tyres when driving on ice?

• Like 1

The sand isn't conducive to wheel to wheel racing, but it should be better on another surface where it's possible to follow another car without being totally blinded.

Its all brand new at the moment so I'll give them a pass whilst they figure this stuff out.

I don't think the traction is really significant in terms of the event - ICE power wouldn't really make it any better or worse.

Seems like the sand prevented proper racing after the first couple of corners, except in the one race that wasn't properly covered, the 7/8 place shootout. Fundamentally a race in this vehicles on a less dusty track ought to be exciting. And it was quite a spectacle even so.

Glad I watched on iPlayer as there was so much padding and repetition.

Didn’t the organisers realise that once the lead was established by the first gate, the “race” would be a procession because of all the dust?  Despite best efforts, it didn’t really work for me.

What happened to the “duffers derby” to decide the last three places?  Seems that it was just two cars in the end.

Still the planet is a slightly better place, apparently.

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, EddieB said:

What happened to the “duffers derby” to decide the last three places?  Seems that it was just two cars in the end.

Still the planet is a slightly better place, apparently.

In the 'duffers derby' the leading car went down 'the drop' and, remembering that they had crashed there before, eased off at the bottom. Unfortunately the following driver had zero visibility and didn't ease off, the resulting crash put both cars out of the race.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Al51 said:

In the 'duffers derby' the leading car went down 'the drop' and, remembering that they had crashed there before, eased off at the bottom. Unfortunately the following driver had zero visibility and didn't ease off, the resulting crash put both cars out of the race.

And the third car didn't make the start line because their spectacular crash in qualifying damaged the roll cage.

Feel bad for Jamie Chadwick about that in particular, she didn't get to even start a lap in anger.

I've got to be honest I found the Saturday qualifying sessions more exciting than the Sunday races, but that might be because I'm into rallying! The time trial nature of it held my interest longer than the forgone conclusion after the first few turns in the races.

Apart from the final, I watched it all live (or delayed, but still the live stream) on YouTube and there was very little padding (a two hour show, in which 9 cars did 11 minute laps didn't leave much room!) The final race on Sunday (which I caught on iPlayer) seemed to have a lot of padding, but that included highlights of what I'd already seen.

Glad they've got a decent commentator in Andrew Coley too. Jennie Gow seems to know her stuff too and has been around motorsport long enough. Interesting to hear the views of Karun Chandhok and Sam Bird too.

Jo

Edited by Steadfast