painting gone wrong

Hi guys, HELP im painting a o gauge coach kit in gwr colours done the cream first waited a week for it to dry ,masked off the cream with some low tac masking tape from a diy shop and when i done the brown it crept under the tape, would you guys remove the paint completely, and what do you use to mask off the coach.

THANKS GARRY mswjr

Hi guys, HELP im painting a o gauge coach kit in gwr colours done the cream first waited a week for it to dry ,masked off the cream with some low tac masking tape from a diy shop and when i done the brown it crept under the tape, would you guys remove the paint completely, and what do you use to mask off the coach.

THANKS GARRY mswjr

I always use Tamiya masking tape; very low tack, sharp edge and no creep.

Regards

Arthur

THANkS guys tryed scaping the edges still not happy dont think i can live with it think ill wait till dry and rub it down grrrrrrrr

ive heard of tamiya tape but never tryed it il look on google thanks guys

Garry mswjr

• RMweb Premium

Hi mswjr,

As Arthur says,I use Tamiya for the edge then when Ive got that on use the cheapo masking tape to mask the rest.Saves a bit of cash as the Tamiya Isnt cheap,about £4 to £4.50 a roll but you dont use a lot if you just use it for the first edge.One tip I read and use is to give a very light coat onto the masking/body to be painted and this seals the masking tape before spraying the main coat.

MickD.

Another trick is to spay the edge of the masking tape with another coat of the original colour, normally that's enough to seal the join and if any does creep under it's the same colour so does not show !

• 4 weeks later...

Another trick is to spay the edge of the masking tape with another coat of the original colour, normally that's enough to seal the join and if any does creep under it's the same colour so does not show !

Also - make sure you get the tape back off gently and at the earliest possible moment

Tony McSean

• 2 weeks later...

Whilst plenty of masking tapes are too vigerous (and the Tamiya stuff is about the best as already noted), I wonder if you had cleaned and primed the surface properly first.

Ian Rathbone's painting and lining book is the business on this but this is how I do it:

• I first clean with fibre brushes and soap/water first (seriously rinsed and allowed to dry).
  • Then I use cellulose thinners to degrease (again allowed to dry but this is pretty quick).
  • Then it is precision etch primer. Car body primer just does not take to metal like the proper stuff.

Good luck - by the way, nitromours is dead good as a degreasant too!

Yep thanks job done, i bought some tamiyla tape ive never used it before but i got on great with it , will be using that again.i never stripped the paint i rubbed off the blobs and blemishs with very,very fine wet and drythe only down side to rubbing down is that when finished painting the door lines that are grooved into the bodyshell get filled in but the coach still looks pretty good

thanks again

mswjr

Archived