RMweb

Kadee couplings for EMU’s

Hi

Can anybody please suggest the shortest Kadee couplings I can get away with running

a. 2 Bachmann EMU units together

b. 2 Hornby  2Bil or Hal,units

i have tried the extra long ( no 20) with no problem, but they are a fair distance apart. They would need to run on 2nd Radius curves at tightest.

Perhaps someone can answer

thanks

B

• RMweb Gold

a. Can be quite short, as these units have retracted buffers.

b. At least no.19 as anything shorter causes buffer locking on curves of even quite generous radius. 

The only way of determining which is best for you is good 'ole trial and error with different sizes. 

• Agree 1

I run a pair of Bachmann 2EPBs together with Kadee #18s and work fine, I'm using Peco Med radius points.

As RFS says best is trial and error to see what suits your particular situation.

Thank you for your help. But I think I’m right in saying that even the short radius Peco points are a larger radius than 2nd curves? So what I’m saying is, if it works fine on 2nd Radius then short points shouldn’t pose a problem.

regards. Yes I’ll try a few different lengths. There a bit hard to get hold of at present .

B

• 2 weeks later...

I just received some Kadee 18’s for my EPB . They don’t work even on my largest curve, hitting each other then derailing. That’s odd, as some of you have them fitted! switched them for 20’s no probs. I’m on code 75 rail if that makes a difference.

I take it that I’m correct in thinking that the dummy buckeye on the Epbs etc need to be removed, as the Kadee hits them?

B