Marlbury

georgeT

George,

Thanks for the info - am planning my first layout in many years and I like your approach i.e. plenty of scope for operational interest in a limited space. Any chance of pictures from the opposite side facing towards the control panel buildings please?

Thanks,

Dave

NEW scratch built loco shed and goods shed, decided to make them with plasticard rather than card, l found that even with wood supports they were starting to bow a little, so l scrapped them and will build everything else in plastic from now on ?

post-7716-128074821242_thumb.jpg

post-7716-128074832249_thumb.jpg

post-7716-128074843278_thumb.jpg

post-7716-128074855025_thumb.jpg

post-7716-128074865382_thumb.jpg

Hi George, I've just been looking back at your early pic's of the layout and wondered if there was room for a warehouse or factory to give more operational intrest and a reason for more veriaty of rolling stock ? The layout looks so well balanced that it will be difficult to add to it. The original station buildings were so good it and I look forward to seeing them re done in plasticard. keep the pic's coming. Andy.

BEECHING WIELDS HIS AXE ON MARLBURY, I have not been to happy with the operation of MARLBURY, l admit l did rush into building the layout, it just seemed to grow and it was the building rather than the operation that was the enjoyment, l needed more tracks for shunting wagons, the fine scale track was very nice but some locos hate it, the points were medium and should have been large ones, fiddle yard was too long, and very hard to lift a 4ft section with stock on, the buildings were all made from card which are warping already, even with plenty of support inside, no run round facility in the station area, and the baseboards were 20mm chipboard which was far too heavy, none of these problems mattered until you operate it, then you realise maybe you should have done a bit more research on track plans that work, all in all l have enjoyed the experience and getting positive remarks from fellow modellers on rmweb, so l will start again, this time l will do much more research, l can salvage a bit from Marlbury and put it on my new venture, thanks for all your kind remarks and will be back very soon.....georgeT

George, we all learn from our mistakes and I should know I have started loads of layouts, Glen Roy was ripped up and re laid 4 times to get to where it is now and St Budoc had 3 fauls starts. Railway Modeller are now coming to photograph both soon so it pays to persevere. Look at sucsessful layouts and copy ideas and study the reason for there sucess and longevity on the exibition circuit. Good luck with the next project and if the quality of workmanship stays the same then I look forward to seeing it FINISHED. Andy.

Archived