Marlbury

georgeT

Hi, thought l'd put some pictures of my layout on the web, been modelling for over forty years and have made many models mainly for other people and friends, never ever had a layout of my own apart from a few non starters, in the form of a diesel depot but l never seemed to finish any of them, my friends seem to build and build, one of them my old mate Andy peters (AndrewP) seems to build them at will, give him a couple of weeks and he will have another layout up and running.

So that was it l will make a layout of my own, a Southern region BR steam, based down in dorset somwhere near the end of steam, when everything was dirty and worn out, l remember long hot summer holidays when l used to go to waterloo at the age of thirteen with my lan alan spotters book, spending most of the day sat on the end of the platform looking at the dirty bullied pacifics and Q1s, standard 3,4s,and 5s, then we would go to Kings cross, and see a whole different scene, and they were as dirty as the bullieds

So to the layout, a small country terminus with only one or two passenger services a day, and a few freight workings, and a small engine shed, nothing bigger than a 2-6-0 made a mistake of building the buildings with card, even with wood to support them they still seem to bow a bit, so l will rebuild them all in plasticard heres some pictures of the layout in two parts in the garden sunshine, the viaduct will be covered in stone plasticard with a canal running just below the station

post-7716-127585545225_thumb.jpg

post-7716-127585552604_thumb.jpg

post-7716-127585564004_thumb.jpg

post-7716-127585568306_thumb.jpg

post-7716-127585582218_thumb.jpg

post-7716-127585588045_thumb.jpg

post-7716-127585596209_thumb.jpg

post-7716-127585604612_thumb.jpg

post-7716-127585612892_thumb.jpg

post-7716-127585621135_thumb.jpg

post-7716-127585628603_thumb.jpg

post-7716-127585633925_thumb.jpg

Fantastic photos again, the station seems to flow well. I do like your weathered stock. Tell us about the signal cabii is it the Scaledale Highley one modified ? Looking forward to seeing it finished when I come up next month. all the best Andy.

• RMweb Gold

Nice, weathered track looks good.

Only one small problem I can see is the point hand levers on the running lines, the ones fully in the goods yard and the loco yard will be ok, but not the ones that will be operated by the 'box.

Great layout though.

Hi George....

As I was scrolling through your photos, I was taken by the uncluttered feeling you've managed to portray.

Layouts like yours take me back to the days when branch line termini such as this were the order of the day in the major magazines.

Something was puzzling me though...

Then it hit me.... you don't have a runround.

This unconventional move is the reason why it looks so spacious - the platforms look longer than they are.

I would imagine that working like this gives you good reason to have more than one engine in steam, too.

Randall

• 1 month later...

Hi John, no secret's here all l do is pin the track with dress maker's pins every 6 inches, then use a very fine mix of 'N gauge' ballast, run my finger along the track and side's to get it even, when l'm happy l then use an old kitchen spray bottle with a blob of washing up liquid mixed in and then give the track a good old soak, then a mix of PVA and water 60 PVA 40 Water plus another blob of washing up liquid, and gently drop it on with a dropper if you've got it right it will just soak into the ballast, when dry after a day or so you can clean it all up, l then get the airbrush out, go into the garden and spray all over, (be careful of the point blades) all you do is wipe the top of the rail's with a cloth dipped in thinner's, l think it look's far better than the boring task of painting the rails. whatever colour you chose to paint the track be sure to use it on your stock when weathering, look far better when everything matches...george

post-7716-127983314172_thumb.jpg

post-7716-127983324197_thumb.jpg

BR Standard 2-6-0 76069 shunting the yard at Marlbury in the sunshine, my buddy Andy (Andrew P) came up for the day and we did some of the scenery in the yard and station area very infectious under his supervision

post-7716-127999738482_thumb.jpg

post-7716-127999750221_thumb.jpg

post-7716-12799975598_thumb.jpg

post-7716-127999779966_thumb.jpg

Very much my sort of layout this. Great trackwork and just a lovely feel about the whole thing that's hard to put a finger on. You should have built yourself a layout long ago. There have obviously been some lucky recipients of your work. Keep the pics coming.

Len

Hi Paul, at the moment l am still building the layout which is taking all my time at the moment, as for stock l am collecting anything l feel fits my year of 1964, when the sun comes out l venture into the garden and have a little play as well as do some modelling to Marlbury there is so much to do in every aspect,l need to do lots more research on the locos and stock, as l have not inserted a run round loop in the station means you have to have a station pilot normally a 0-6-0 tank to pull the stock from the loco in platform 1 and shunt them into platform 2, this then lets the trapped loco free to go on shed for coal and water, l can then summon a loco from the fiddle yard to take away the train, as the pilot sits in the sunshine in the goods yard....great fun

georgeT

Hello Dave, 10'6" x 22" the fiddle yard is a cartridge system using 3"x 1" softwood with track fixed to it 46" in length, therfore you can have all kinds of stock, l even have modern image on Marlbury

georgeT

post-7716-12800780709_thumb.jpg

post-7716-128007823401_thumb.jpg

Archived