Athearn Blue Box F unit

On 10/05/2021 at 20:33, F-UnitMad said:

early Bachmann F9, which IIRC had the same pancake motor as UK Mainline/Palitoy diesels, being made in the same factory.

13 hours ago, Barclay said:

That would explain why mine has been transplanted onto an Athearn chassis.

The old grey matter has been dragged kicking & screaming back into life :fool:  and now I've remembered - as it was around 20 years ago!! - that that's exactly what I did with mine!!! :yes:  :good:

Edit - Blast from the Past photos of photos added. My old Bachy F9 for my fictional Stroud County Railroad, along with the reason I stuck it on an Athearn chassis - to lash up with the Stroud County's other diesel, an Athearn SW9. 

20210511_213743.jpg.35439dc333e4ac1e835c62d9107ea0dc.jpg

20210511_213812.jpg.77dde03e322f7ab6379d428fb7f102ec.jpg

Edited by F-UnitMad
Added photos
  • Like 6

F-units of any flavour do rather sit down nicely on the track?

I have {somewhere?] a Bachmann GP40. This dates from at least the {early} 1980's {which is when I bought it, used-&-abused [2nd hand!!]}   

It has 8 wheel drive and central motor.

Not as grunty as Athearns of the era though.  

I also have somewhere some Model Power {Mehano?] Alco 420's, which had a lima-type motor bogie..bought cheap, with the intention of finding a 8wd chassis for them.  Another Model Power Alco [ a C628] converted roughly to a UP C630, had 8 wheel drive.....

Trying to pin down which maker used power trucks and not proper chassis seemed a fruitless task?

Anyway, I am fond of F units, especially in their later years, passed along from hand-to-mouth railroads and industrial use.

Faded glory, and all that?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1