Z21 - Is This Normal

Flunter

Hi all.

I have a question regarding my Z21 Black.

As you can see from the video, the voltage fluctuates considerably between 12 and 14v, as the title, is this normal?

There is nothing on the layout. I've adjusted the Z21's output down to 14v because of an issue I was having with some DCC Concepts IP Digital point motors getting damaged, thankfully, the voltage reduction has solved that issue.

Any help would be appreciated.

This is caused by the DCC Concepts unit not supporting or working when Railcom is enabled in the Z21. The voltage shown within the Z21 App or the Z21 Maint Program is accurate.

Your only solution is to disable Railcom in the Z21 as DCC Concepts will not address this known problem.

• Informative/Useful 1

3 hours ago, WIMorrison said:

Your only solution is to disable Railcom in the Z21 as DCC Concepts will not address this known problem.

I'll give that a try, thank you for your help.

Such a shame DCC Concepts aren't willing to address the issue, I use iTrain and tend to rely on Railcom quite a lot.

If you are using itrain, do checkout this series of over 40 youtube clips which Iain didn't mention although he is credited with assisting in their production. Too much to watch all in one go!

If the above little issue has mentioned I've missed it but there's a hell of lot of useful info in there that is hard to find in the manual and there are clearly more episodes to come.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

BTW if you have the Z21 Maintenance Tool on your computer that will show you how much current is being drawn from the Z21 as well as the voltage out.

It's under the "Status" tab.

• Informative/Useful 1

Actually....

While we still consider Railcom a terrible approach technically because of the way it constantly interferes with bus communication, effectively interrupting the bus repeatedly and relying in a narrow time window that not all manufacturers get exactly right beause of failure to consider component combinations and resulting drift... we understand that its there.

We have to, because it can be quite harmful to communication, even for standards-compliant products.  (I'd add that in conversation with some of the EU controller makers - they too think it a primitive approach compared to todays technologies and the potential for better approaches).

We were reluctant to make a change to Alpha Meter because what you saw with Railcom was indeed whats happening on your DCC bus - Constant interruptions. However, we discussed it and decided that as Railcom was turned on by default in some EU controllers and a few customers who don't even know what it is (and had no reason or desire to ever use it) were being affected... We should look at it.

As a result we have already made a running change to mask Railcom activity, and this version has been on sale for a while now.  

RIchard Johnson

• Informative/Useful 1

4 hours ago, Richard Johnson said:

...this version has been on sale for a while now.

A while? How do I know if I have a Railcom compatible product, it was purchased new around 3 months ago?

Thank you for the comprehensive reply BTW.

21 hours ago, WIMorrison said:

If you iTrain then you can see the voltages, track current, etc within iTrain, and you don't need this 'gadget' :)

image.png.2e2672982e02d9da864168da4fbcf435.png

Hmmm, I can't seem to find that window within iTrain :(

8 minutes ago, JohnDMJ said:

It seems that Railcom has been included in the NMRA definitions so does that mean that any product which does not support it is non-compliant?s-9.3.2_2012_12_10.pdf

Only if you can wade through all the standards documents to show that working in the presence of a RailCom signal is a requirement.   

NMRA standards/compliance are now very moot - the NMRA has looked pretty much moribund on DCC matters for at least ten years.  There are European manufacturer's bodies discussing standards for DCC:   doing their own thing, not at the NMRA. 

In this case, a Roco Z21 system and a DCC Concepts device (noting that the maker says they've modified the device). Neither has a NMRA compliance warrant(*).  So which manufacturer is producing the "non compliant" product ?   Answers on a post-card....  

(* nor has much else.  As an exercise, see if any DCC devices you own has a compliance warrant.  My total: a couple of decoders.  )

- Nigel

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, Nigelcliffe said:

(* nor has much else.  As an exercise, see if any DCC devices you own has a compliance warrant.  My total: a couple of decoders.  )

- Nigel

Hornby's decoders?

The IMHO not very good R8249 proudly states that it is NMRA compliant, complete with a NMRA logo.

Not much of a recommendation.:D

5 minutes ago, melmerby said:

Hornby's decoders?

The IMHO not very good R8249 proudly states that it is NMRA compliant, complete with a NMRA logo.

Not much of a recommendation.:D

No: a Lenz Gold from over a dozen years ago (pretty certain its the same model as the 2006 test), and, probably, a recent ESU (not 100% certain from the published list in matching decoder versions).   I was expecting nothing !     

But your comment on the nature of "compliant" not equating to quality is a fair one.  

- Nigel

1 hour ago, WIMorrison said:

Double click on Z21 at the bottom right.

Found it, thank you :rolleyes:

I've removed the Alpha Meter as it clearly isn't needed when using iTrain.

My issue was, when using automatic routes, iTrain would randomly neglect to operate points even though the route had been reserved, this would obviously cause a short when the train reached the point. Since removing the Alpha Meter I've just completed a 2 hour automated running session of 4 trains without issue, and the voltage is steady at 14.5 - 14.7 :good:

Now to watch video no. 42 :clapping_mini:

As far as I am aware, Hornby possess an NMRA Warrant of Compliance.

Whilst NMRA has run with the governing standards for DCC, the MOROP setup in Europe (heard of the NEM standards?) has also been prevalent. Most NEM Standards agree with those of NMRA but there are some discrepancies on voltage levels on MTC21 connectors. (MTC = Märklin Trix Connector!)

20 minutes ago, Nigelcliffe said:

But your comment on the nature of "compliant" not equating to quality is a fair one.  

- Nigel

This is a bit like ISO9001:xxxx which is a Quality Standard. It doesn't actually mean that your product is any good, what it does confirm is that you can produce exactly the same level of rubbish each and every time thus proving your Quality Management System is working not the product that you produce :)

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, Flunter said:

Since removing the Alpha Meter I've just completed a 2 hour automated running session of 4 trains without issue, and the voltage is steady at 14.5 - 14.7

If I understand it correctly the fluctuation on the Alpha Meter  was caused by it not allowing for railcom  - however it seems strange that just having it in the circuit causes random problems with the route/point setting.  Is this another issue caused by it and its handling of  Railcom?

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, BoD said:

If I understand it correctly the fluctuation on the Alpha Meter  was caused by it not allowing for railcom  - however it seems strange that just having it in the circuit causes random problems with the route/point setting.  Is this another issue caused by it and its handling of  Railcom?

1 hour ago, JohnDMJ said:

It seems that Railcom has been included in the NMRA definitions so does that mean that any product which does not support it is non-compliant?s-9.3.2_2012_12_10.pdf

In industry to be ‘compliant’ with a standard you need to be assessed by an external body i.e. you cannot declare yourself ‘compliant’ however you can describe your product as ‘conformant’ with a standard  which simply means you acknowledge the standard and consider that you meet said standard - however as this conformance hasn’t been tested by anyone you cannot say you are compliant.

Most, but not all decoders conform to the NMRA standard but very few are compliant.

Edited by WIMorrison
Apple auto-spelling :(
  • Agree 1