Heater van

divibandit

7 hours ago, Neil Phillips said:

........ - I should have known it would be there somewhere. .......

As with all search functions, the difficulty is always thinking up a unique term that'll actually take you to what you're looking for and not present you with a thousand threads to read through  -  someone else' brilliant idea for a thread title might not be what you remembered it as !

14 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

As with all search functions, the difficulty is always thinking up a unique term that'll actually take you to what you're looking for and not present you with a thousand threads to read through  -  someone else' brilliant idea for a thread title might not be what you remembered it as !

But the link was immediately provided in this topic and it includes a very good photo of the van. That was what was disappointing in someone still questioning its existence. I photographed it in Penzance but seem to have lost it from my site (unless someone finds it for me :D) in the move from Fotopic a decade or so ago. 

Paul

On 18/05/2021 at 06:50, 37114 said:

The ex Southern ones are a nice easy cut and shut/ kit bash using a Parkside 21t mineral chassis and bits of MK1 coach (I had some on hand following a 2 BSK's into 1 BSO project some years ago), mine is based on ADS70185 which I believe survives up at the Churnet Valley raiway.

post-7400-0-54757000-1535878963_thumb.jpg.4bc717114c8e72df2d87e09a1224ceb0.jpg

post-7400-0-65335500-1546793589_thumb.jpg.2dc0a140a2b22af1a823822f29f86360.jpg

That looks pretty convincing. Did you have a drawing that confirmed the dimensions or was it a case of what looks right probably is right?

17 hours ago, hmrspaul said:

But the link was immediately provided in this topic and it includes a very good photo of the van. That was what was disappointing in someone still questioning its existence. I photographed it in Penzance but seem to have lost it from my site (unless someone finds it for me :D) in the move from Fotopic a decade or so ago. 

Paul

Sorry Paul, that was my mistake, I thought I'd opened that link and I realised later that I hadn't, because there it is. 

At the risk of making myself look even thicker, I'm wondering now whether the reason why I knew the boiler van I saw heading for Penzance behind 821 on 6/5/72 was the Plymouth van was because it was painted on the side.......! :banghead:In other words it wasn't one of the SR 'compact' vans at all, but this tiddler whose existence I've questioned! If you photographed it in Penzance after this date...........I'm not sure I want to know now!! :nea:

I was lineside between Truro and Chacewater as it flew past (that's my excuse.....)

5 hours ago, justin said:

That looks pretty convincing. Did you have a drawing that confirmed the dimensions or was it a case of what looks right probably is right?

Thanks. No drawings involved, just used the photos on Paul Bartletts website along with the Parkside chassis as a guide of the length then a bit of trial and error to judge the width of each of the bodyside bits.