Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Seeking prototype details for Hornby R6712 five plank open wagon

Hi

I've looked through my books and a couple of online databases seeking more information about E312409 five plank open wooden bodied wagon.

My copy of the first half million suggests "Wagons 312409 to 312411 lot 3430 built by Teesside Bridge and Engineering ltd. Total built 500.

However I am not sure if the 'E' prefix matters?

I am after build date.

I have a suspicion they might have ended up as Clay Hoods later.

Can anyone help please?

image.png.33d33cb32d44bb1422f57356479e09e6.png(image from Hattons)

• Like 1

This is a generic body that goes back to Airfix days ......... a little chunky but a fair representation of an LMS open goods.

Now, Ashford works built a number of these during the war including some for the LNER : Nos.262849-263223  -  so Hornby are close-ish.

( Nos.E310891-E313120 were also built at Ashford but were to an LNER design and differed in detail.)

• Informative/Useful 2

2 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

This is a generic body that goes back to Airfix days ......... a little chunky but a fair representation of an LMS open goods.

Now, Ashford works built a number of these during the war including some for the LNER : Nos.262849-263223  -  so Hornby are close-ish.

The suggestion is https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/lneropenwood/e126c905f  https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/lneropenwood/e163e75cc

Paul

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

37 minutes ago, Wickham Green too said:

the identifying feature of the LMS type is the staggered bolting to the corner plate - the LNER put all their bolts in line !

I hate to be a bolt-counter, but the wagon in Paul's photo has staggered bolts, and is attributed to the LNER.

Could it be that they were built with staggered bolts to give better resistance to splitting of the boards through the bolt-holes? 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

They were, indeed, built for the LNER - but, during the war, by Ashford ........ Ashford also built  wagons to an LMS design at about the same time - and obviously used the same drawings for the wagons in question.

The suggestion (probably on here) was that building wagons was of lower importance in the war effort than manufacturing munitions. So, Ashford being closest to the front line became the wagon builder and the LMS, LNER and GWR workshops were, at least in part, turned over to producing arnaments etc. Ashford certainly turned out a lot of vans and open merchandise wagons. 

Paul

• Informative/Useful 2