N Gauge Journal 3/21

Bomag

This popped through the door this morning and although its quite good my enjoyment has been tempered by the announcement of a stealth increase in the disguise of a UK postage premium. Having read the rules seams that if the Society was to increase subs then it would have to announce it and consult in advance; a 'postage' premium doesn't seem to need to be approved by members. Doe any other memer read the rule the same? I would not object to an increase in subs if the costings were explained, it's the 'lets get round this' approach which I object to.

Yet again those of us whose eyesight finds reading something as long as a magazine on screen difficult, and those who just like having something to hold to read are disadvantaged. If somebody wants an e-copy of the journal, then that fine - but not if its costs everybody else more.

Unfortunately Royal Mail postage charges have gone up, although probably not as much as 33p an issue (£2 over 6 issues). The second class large letter rate for up to 500g has increased by 16p which would make the increase more than double what is necessary (and this is the one off rate, no doubt the society gets a trade/commercial discount for bulk send outs, franking rates and/or also if they use mailsort).

However I do see the subscription rate further increasing as more people select an electronic version only and the number of printed copies falls. This is because the unit print cost increases for smaller quantities. It does look like print copy members will be further penalised.