Interesting and inspiring photos from Flickr....

4 hours ago, 97406 said:

Glazebrook was an interesting place when I were a lad.

Glazebrook sidings from 40025

Aye - it sure was an interesting place. I'm busy collecting enough cheepo Hornby tankers to coat with filth and model one of the 'bitumen' trains that originated from nearby Cadishead :)

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, D7063 said:

Aye - it sure was an interesting place. I'm busy collecting enough cheepo Hornby tankers to coat with filth and model one of the 'bitumen' trains that originated from nearby Cadishead :)

There was Lancashire Tar Distillers in Cadishead and also on Preston Docks. My Dad worked for them, as did I after the Preston bit had been purchased by Fina to become Lanfina Bitumen. 

• Like 2

Let me follow that up with a related one from my own collection (also on Flickr), showing the later Lobitos-MOR livery after their merger with Manchester Oil Refinery. You'll have to peer into the background - there are a selection of MOR tanks and one in Lobitos-MOR livery. These 14t anchor-mount class B tanks are virtually identical to the Dapol O gauge model and I'm currently repainting a couple of those into MOR and Lobitos-MOR livery.

Railtour in Trafford Park, and Manchester Oil Refinery

There are plenty of photos of these tanks in black and white here: https://hmrs.org.uk/photographs.html?private_owner=15761

This colour image confirms the accuracy of the Manchester Oil Refinery livery applied by Hornby-Meccano on their 1960s O gauge tinplate model. It also shows that the joint Lobitos-MOR livery used the same colour scheme as contemporary Lobitos oil cans:

image.png.57e0f68d176a54fc6abb736cf300f745.png

Latterly Lobitos-MOR was merged with Burmah and some of these wagons appeared in Burmah blue livery.

Returning to the main subject of the photo which is a brake van special, other photos of this train show that it included examples of LMS, LNER, GWR and BR brake vans. Only the SR was left out.

• Like 18
  • Informative/Useful 1

3 hours ago, Mol_PMB said:

Let me follow that up with a related one from my own collection (also on Flickr), showing the later Lobitos-MOR livery after their merger with Manchester Oil Refinery. You'll have to peer into the background - there are a selection of MOR tanks and one in Lobitos-MOR livery. These 14t anchor-mount class B tanks are virtually identical to the Dapol O gauge model and I'm currently repainting a couple of those into MOR and Lobitos-MOR livery.

Railtour in Trafford Park, and Manchester Oil Refinery

There are plenty of photos of these tanks in black and white here: https://hmrs.org.uk/photographs.html?private_owner=15761

This colour image confirms the accuracy of the Manchester Oil Refinery livery applied by Hornby-Meccano on their 1960s O gauge tinplate model. It also shows that the joint Lobitos-MOR livery used the same colour scheme as contemporary Lobitos oil cans:

Latterly Lobitos-MOR was merged with Burmah and some of these wagons appeared in Burmah blue livery.

Returning to the main subject of the photo which is a brake van special, other photos of this train show that it included examples of LMS, LNER, GWR and BR brake vans. Only the SR was left out.

I think that must be Ashburton Road on Trafford Park which is interesting as I don't think that I've ever seen a picture of that part of the line. I guess that section of the line must have been truncated in the 70s?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, montyburns56 said:

I think that must be Ashburton Road on Trafford Park which is interesting as I don't think that I've ever seen a picture of that part of the line. I guess that section of the line must have been truncated in the 70s?

Yes, that's correct - the train is approaching the bridge over the Bridgewater Canal. Behind the concrete fence on the right was the Gulf Oil depot. I've got another image of the same train there with some Gulf tank wagons visible - I'll look that out tomorrow, post it on Flickr and then I can legitimately link it here ;-)

In the meantime, this image is in the Manchester Libraries archives:

Gulf_tanks.jpg.2d9b64fe72664b8ff771fd4b8e57fad5.jpg

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

Here you are. I’ve always wondered about that strange logo, but seeing the tin, I now know that’s roughly right too.

IMG_2649.jpeg.ed72ff01ac2ea98169252af88b66dc60.jpeg

Thanks! For it's time, the tinplate model is actually a pretty good representation of one of these:

Oil Tanks

Which looks like this in colour (in the distance, on the right):

MOR_tanks_closeup2saturation.jpg.5aba679826523b5920e4e596ff90302e.jpg

The logo on the tinplate model is spot on in style and colour. It represents a silhouette of the Manchester Oil Refinery itself, which can be seen on the right hand side of this photo:

MSC at Barton Swingbridges

This photo of an unlagged MOR tank shows the yellow logo on the end more clearly on tank 127, and also shows the later version in red/black/white after the Lobitos merger on tank 4:

https://hmrs.org.uk/abk503-lobitos-ellesmere-port-14t-tank-wagon-127-stanlow-c1972-r3l-similar-to-abk-502-part-of-tank-wagon.html

Mol

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 2

On 11/11/2023 at 18:10, montyburns56 said:

Denaby Crossing in earlier times....

By Mitchell Jones

FWX 920 - #36

There was a trolleybus traction pole and bracket arm (with the hangers as well, as far as I can remember) still in situ there in the late 1970's. next to the signal box.

Presumably it was on railway property and was never removed when the system closed. I remember seeing it on a couple of "shed bashes" by coach at that time when we were heading from the likes of Wath over to Doncaster.

Edited by Johann Marsbar
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold
22 hours ago, montyburns56 said:

Redmire 1978 

Redmire 47361 30may78 s017

JMB T59 50 Redmire D6760 shunting 7T20 Goods 27041968

The 68 picture can't have been long after lorries replaced the aerial ropeway.  Never seen pictures of ballast wagons there before.  The stone for iron making was quite fine. Not great to stand on the leading veranda of the van and used to blow in your face when propelling the train from castle hills to Northallerton Station at a fairly brisk speed. Hard to believe its over 30 years ago now

• Like 7

I'm still a bit fixated on tank wagons (guess what's currently on my workbench).

Here's a lovely photo of an anchor-mount class B tank, showing a typical weathering pattern in colour:

National Benzole Tank Wagon hauled by BR Standard 82006 at Aberystwyth 1960's

Note how the browish traffic grime is seen on the lower part of the tank, slightly wrapping round onto the ends. This would mostly be from rusty water and/or brake dust thrown up from the wheels.

The headstocks are a similar colour, as are parts of the wheels and springs.

Meanwhile there is plentiful spillage from the tank filler, but this isn't entirely opaque - we can see the lettering through it, and the electrification flash.

This spillage has gone down onto the middle of the solebar and vee hanger, making them black. However, the ends of the solebars are quite clean and the white lettering on the various plates is clearly visible.

You can buy something rather similar from Dapol as a starting point:

https://www.Dapol.co.uk/products/7f-063-001-class-b-anchor-mounted-tank-national-benzole-2009?variant=43732827308255

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Just behind the camera there was a level crossing with groundframe (from year?) and NBR gates.

Pics of this, and others at:

https://www.railscot.co.uk/locations/F/Frances_Colliery/

Assuming it's moving towards the camera, the train is heading towards the (East Coast) main line - it will go over the level crossing then past the exchange sidings. Connection to the main line was at Dysart station (signalled with a not-too-common yellow disc) with a signalbox on the Down (Northbound) side

EDIT: To add map and link

Photo was taken around the red X, facing to the right (eastwards)

dubbie.jpg.00c55e7ad588b37534c9f580003f58ee.jpg

(From 1950 OS 1:2500)

1949-59 (pub. 1962) 1:2500 map sheet, which thoughtfully covers all of the the branch! :

Link to NLS Maps (zoom out for full sheet).

Edited by keefer
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

14 hours ago, keefer said:

EDIT: To add map and link

1949-59 (pub. 1962) 1:2500 map sheet, which thoughtfully covers all of the the branch! :

Link to NLS Maps (zoom out for full sheet).

Would that spur that branches off near the photo location have lead to a facility that has been censored on the map? - can't see any other reason for the track work...

• RMweb Premium

5 hours ago, WessexEclectic said:

Would that spur that branches off near the photo location have lead to a facility that has been censored on the map? - can't see any other reason for the track work...

Don't think so. Looks like a small depot (not necessarily linked to the colliery, road haulage yard or fuel supplier maybe?) with tanks next to it, so maybe there for fuel/oil delivery - looks long enough for a couple of tank wagons.

The spur has gone by the time of the 1963-64 map, so whatever is in the tanks in the yard is now being delivered by road.

Screenshot_20231205-174933_Chrome.jpg.0991b43ed338b00d4c6a308d07e5128a.jpg

Edited by keefer
  • Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2