24.5 ton coal wagons

Halesworth

• RMweb Gold
On 05/06/2021 at 14:00, Halesworth said:

Does anyone know whether the NCB used ex-BR 24 1/2 ton steel coal wagons, code 1/115 on their internal railways?

One problem with 'bombers' (as these wagons were known at the marshalling yard where I used to work) was that they were very restricted in the number of collieries they could work to because they were too high to fit under the loading screens.  Obviously some pits could use them but I don't know of any in South Wales that ever did and they would - in that area - have been very restricted to places where they could be used.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

26 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

One problem with 'bombers' (as these wagons were known at the marshalling yard where I used to work) was that they were very restricted in the number of collieries they could work to because they were too high to fit under the loading screens.  Obviously some pits could use them but I don't know of any in South Wales that ever did and they would - in that area - have been very restricted to places where they could be used.

Bryn Lliw and Graig Merthyr used them for flows to Carmarthen Bay Power Station; they were loaded by front-loader shovels, rather than from the screens. They were a mixed bag. Some had top doors plated over, whilst others had the side doors  done as well (and had 'NO DOORS' painted on the side, even though the end doors were still present) A few were branded 'Load to John Summers, Shotwick Sidings'.

This would have been 1968-'73.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 05/06/2021 at 14:00, Halesworth said:

Does anyone know whether the NCB used ex-BR 24 1/2 ton steel coal wagons, code 1/115 on their internal railways?

There were five or six at Manvers when it closed in full NCB livery.

Manvers also had a fleet of these built by Butterly in the 60’s without doors for internal use and Met Camm built similar for Normanby Park steelworks at Scunthorpe!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

As mentioned by my namesake elsewhere, Brynlliw and Graig Merthyr in the NCB 'West Wales Area' dispatched 'bombers'  ( and Iron Ore Tipplers ) to Carmarthen Bay.

When new, a number of 24.5 tonners were branded 'Loco Coal - Return to Oakdale'  and that is the only place I know of in the NCB East Wales area where they went under the screens on a regular basis; albeit I have seen the 'odd one' at Hafodyrynys ( pronounced "Havadruniss"  for our 'saes' readers )

Not a common sight at South Wales pits

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, br2975 said:

As mentioned by my namesake elsewhere, Brynlliw and Graig Merthyr in the NCB 'West Wales Area' dispatched 'bombers'  ( and Iron Ore Tipplers ) to Carmarthen Bay.

When new, a number of 24.5 tonners were branded 'Loco Coal - Return to Oakdale'  and that is the only place I know of in the NCB East Wales area where they went under the screens on a regular basis; albeit I have seen the 'odd one' at Hafodyrynys ( pronounced "Havadruniss"  for our 'saes' readers )

Not a common sight at South Wales pits

From memory (which may be less than reliable of course) I think Ocean complex could load them under the screens by the early 1970s if not before.  There was definitely one colliery (pair of collieries in the case of Ocean) serviced from Radyr yard which could load them in my time there.