Peterborough station in the 1980s...

Lek

Hello folks,

I hope it's ok to post a request here. I'm looking for photos, OS maps, aerial shots and any relevant info with regards to Peterborough station in the 1980s. It was the local station in my hometown and I am planning to reconstruct an accurate model railway setup of the station as it was in the 1980s once my attic conversion is ready.

I thought it would be an easy job to get the track layout from Google earth, but it appears the station has been completely transformed over the years. I'm not sure when the current adaptations were done, as I moved out of Peterborough decades ago. From what I can gather from Wikipedia, the station remained the same between 1976, up until its renewal in 2013. I am looking to replicate the station as it was throughout the 1980s with as much detail as possible, so any photos from that era would be extremely useful. I can remember a few details such as the 08 shunter often stationed behind the left side of the station as you walk in, at the back of platform 1, although Google Earth shows that line has since been removed.

If anyone has any aerial photos, or of the station from afar, particularly the original station building, the shop & waiting areas on platform 4 & 5, as well as the lines beyond platform 5 (which have been rerun due to the addition of the new platform 6 & 7). If anyone can contribute photos or info in any way shape or form, it would be a huge help. I will also be posting any resources here as I find them, just to keep everything in one place. I'll be documenting the build on Youtube when I get started and I'll be happy to give a mention to anyone who is able to help out.

Many thanks in advance.

• RMweb Gold

I'm not sure without comparing it with an OS map from that specific era ?

There's are BR signalling diagrams for Peterborough station contained within a few resignalling notices  which are available to download from the "Signalling Record Society" website https://www.s-r-s.org.uk/ArchiveSignals/brer.php 

47-1973 : Peterborough, extension of Peterborough area of control, closure of Crescent Junction SB.
Sunday 11 March. 

Also :

51-1973 Holme - Yaxley - Fletton - Peterborough, extension of Peterborough area of control, closure of Fletton, Yaxley SBs.
Sunday 29 April

Edited by nexusdj