Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Dymented - the Serious stuff starts!

Philou

@JeffP I can only sympathise as I know you have other, perhaps more important things to do at home. If you should like to know more on the construction of the doors or the stop, let me know. I may have already shown the doors under construction much further along in the thread.

Door frame is in and the door re-hung and it goes together swimmingly - the rear of the barn is secure once more.

At the mo', the weather has turned miserable with thunderstorms that don't know if they want to p!ss on my parade or not - and the dog is waiting for her lunchtime walkies. Hopefully, I can get out in a short while.

Cheers,

Philip

PS: More update tonight.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

The rain really stopped play for today. I have a bit of software (an app) which shows all the lightning strikes and having seen a gap between two thunderstorms, I decided to go and take the dog for her break. Blinking heck! I only did about 100m when there was an almighty flash and very loud bang - fortunately not right by but close enough for the dog to look at me and me her and we both legged back indoors!

What to do instead as it was raining cats and dogs and so I decided to level and bolt my units together - which is what I did and here are a couple of photos.

This shows my homebrew connectors. An M8 bolt, butterfly nut, two washers and a piece of 10mm copper pipe:

P1020220.JPG.5a988544ad08ef8ab0b710bc8e4acb0c.JPG

This is the result:

P1020221.JPG.b8e446bf44b9ba257b740c4c71c2ed18.JPG

Why the copper pipe, you may ask? Well indeedy doody, this is what I do: I drill out the two holes using assorted wood-bits to arrive at a 10mm sized hole. Having slipped the one washer and the copper pipe over the bolt this I insert and then with the second washer plus butterfly nut in place I tighten up really really tight. If the tube has been cut to a smidge over the exact length of the two pieces of ply, then you can't over tighten as the tube will stop it happening. As you continue to tighten so that the washers make contact with the wood, the further tightening causes the tube to swell slightly in the hole and if you need to take the units apart, there is a locating peg waiting for you trapped in either one or the other of the holes in the ply - tadaaaa!

How did I discover this? When I made a pair of modules for the club, I didn't have an 8mm wood-bit, only a 10 and what to use as a sleeve? A bit of 10mm copper pipe. When I came to take the units apart, I noticed the tube wouldn't slide out - hence the locating peg when it came to re-fit. I thought 'That's good, we'll do that again'.

I have discovered that Hansnees und der Boompsadasie under the units is not easy. I am so glad that they're 1.0m above the floor, no sambering underneath. It took a little while to level and then fix it all together - two joints, three units done. There'll be some titivating to do - I had to do minor adjustments again once the modules were bolted.

The sun is out now and its looking good for tomorrow - so back to glue-blocking :( .

Cheers,

Philip

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 7
  • Round of applause 1

Impressed with that.

Some years ago I had to fix things to a dot and dab plasterboard wall.

I hit on the idea of cutting lengths of aluminium tube to the depth of the wall under the plasterboard, drilling right into the wall, using a nylon wall plug, followed by the alloy tubing and a long screw.

The alloy tubing stops the wall plug pulling out.

Now you can buy those fittings made in Germany, but the tubing is steel.

Wish I'd patented it.🙂

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Today's little foray into woodwork led me to making those pesky glue-blocks by the dozen. I had time to make some legs for the next corner module (I hope I got it right as these are the shortest ones and I can't make them longer or use them elsewhere!). I also started on some fascias for the pockets too .................... and that was it. By this evening, my knees and one hip was sore and it hurt across my shoulders (no, please, no violins) but that could have been a left-over of humping the door in place yesterday - I had five (yes 5) hinges to line up before dropping it into place. Not so much as truly heavy but just awkward being at full arm stretch - @JeffP will know about French door and window hinges!

Maybe a picture tomorrow all being well.

Cheers,

Philip

• Friendly/supportive 6

14 hours ago, Philou said:

Today's little foray into woodwork led me to making those pesky glue-blocks by the dozen. I had time to make some legs for the next corner module (I hope I got it right as these are the shortest ones and I can't make them longer or use them elsewhere!). I also started on some fascias for the pockets too .................... and that was it. By this evening, my knees and one hip was sore and it hurt across my shoulders (no, please, no violins) but that could have been a left-over of humping the door in place yesterday - I had five (yes 5) hinges to line up before dropping it into place. Not so much as truly heavy but just awkward being at full arm stretch - @JeffP will know about French door and window hinges!

Maybe a picture tomorrow all being well.

Cheers,

Philip

My favourite is trying to refit heavy shutters, either up a ladder or leaning out of a first floor window.

Only two hinges, but holding it at arm's length trying to line it up and not fall...

• Friendly/supportive 3

12 hours ago, JeffP said:

either up a ladder or leaning out of a first floor window

@JeffP  Don't. Just don't. It has to be two of you once up 'in the air' - one inside and one on ladders (scaffolding better). At the moment we have none at the only first floor window (the others being Velux). Mrs Philou has just gone and had a quote for some (it came two days ago), €1500!! They're pulling her wotsits. I'd do it, but  a) my carpentry is carp (viz. the modules), b) it means being up a ladder (and someone inside), and; c) you need a special bit of kit (not expensive) just for setting out the fixings in the wall to take the hinges. Mrs Philou thinks it's expensive (I think it is for a window opening of 1.3m x 850mm), but this a quote from a tradesperson versed in these things - perhaps not that expensive.

Right. Module legging. I did the second corner today - the viaduct module. It's become a five-legged dog but it does what it was meant to do - over-sail the cellar doors and give sufficient headroom for those coming up or going down the stairs. I didn't appear to miscalculate the length of the legs either. Tomorrow will be different as the next module, P, will be on three legs as it too will over-sail the doors but from the opposite side. It means the two unsupported corners will meet and I'm sure Mr Gravity will want to play his part.

Here is today's result:

P1020223.JPG.51a417e0ea76cf01e9ce4bbfbbd03f8d.JPG

And the doors fully open:

P1020222.JPG.6d83d18a1aaabed16ab97024a5018787.JPG

To the left of the module is the corner of Module A and a made-to-measure module will be made asap, once the module to the right of the corner one plus the next one have been legged. It means I can do raw levelling of the viaduct module and then make up the link. I have matching ends already made and all I have to do are the side pieces. There's no fancy landscaping as it's a continuous (foreshortened) falling grade from Ledbury station down to the Leadon river. Have it done in no time? You bet (with fingers crossed behind his back)!

More tomorrow chums and chumesses,

Cheers,

Philip

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, Philou said:

Mr Gravity will want to play his part.

He will, and it depends how good the cantilever of the corner board is.  Mr Gravity also likes revenge served cold as he acts little by little over time.  Could you assist be having four legs?  The fourth just clear of the open door so that the front beam of module P is also acting as a cantilever.

Paul.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Hello chums and chumesses,

Another day, another dollar. Well, I didn't earn a dollar but the two next units are in place - a bit of fettling to do to ensure the modules are level. I had had enough for today by this evening so it'll be a job for Sunday as it'll be mostly titivating the legs and adjustable feet. I do have a small piece of Module P to cut out as the back edge is 20mm below the top of the power outlet and it won't sit against the wall. Once that's done, the levelling can continue and I might get to do a couple of bolts to hold things together.

I said Sunday deliberately as I'm off to the club tomorrow - it's a whole day modelling as they're anxious to get their modules finished for a show in October and as the summer holidays are upon us, a lot will be away over the next five to six weeks, and in September (just like in the UK) school/college starts again. So it'll be unlikely that there'll be an update - unless something exciting happens =:o .

Next week has been turned upside down as I have to go back to gay Paree to attend to some unfinished business and I'll have to be there for a couple of days :(( . In any case, I seem to be out of material for legs so Monday will be mostly ferreting in my stockpile of manky wood sorting out the carp from the chaff - there are some suitable planks but buried under the rubbishy bits. I was having a diesel moment, 'diesel do', instead of cutting the rubbish up and into the burner.

Onto the pictures. We have two modules newly legged and springing from the corner one. You can see where the weak point will be (no leg) where the clamp has been put just to clip it in place:

P1020224.JPG.08772e80649d12bbab771616247b1b50.JPG

This shows how the combined modules oversail the opening.

7 hours ago, 5BarVT said:

Could you assist be having four legs?

@5BarVT This is why I can't have a fourth leg just there due to the opening doors. It is supported at the back edge (more by good luck than good design as I never gave supporting the modules just there a moment's thought at the design stage):

P1020225.JPG.75c1a1043aa88bb6c166ebe8a5e69592.JPG

Whilst Mr Gravity will want to play his hand at probably the most awkward of times, the corner module is quite hefty and there is a leg not too far back. Module Q (to be built) will help in overcoming any twisting action. If there is any movement, then I may be able to put a horizontal 'beam' across the two modules attached to their legs - we see.

Quite pleased so far - it's just a question now of ensuring that the modules are all near-level when first legged.

Cheers everyone, the weekend is back!

Philip

• Like 7

Philip,

Have you considered raising the height of the door stops?  You could rig up a horizontal beam off them, to add a stubby leg from the beam to the underside of the baseboard joint.  It would prevent Mr Gravitg striking at an inappropriate moment.

Kind regards

Paul

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, lezz01 said:

Maybe a wire suspended from the ceiling would do the job.

Regards Lez.

That would look unsightly.

Maybe omit the wire and use a sky hook?

:-)

Paul.

(leaving quietly before anyone notices.)

• Funny 3

• RMweb Gold

One end curve of my 00 gauge layout came out of the layout room and over the stairwell and I built it with a tee piece out of wood to support it whilst under construction fitted to the banister and I replaced it with two lengths of steel cable around 3mm thick so as to leave the banister free. Sadly I have no photos as it in the process of being pulled down and the baseboards striped for the new EM home layout. It did work very well but then the ceiling is a 9" concrete pad so it was easy to get a good strong anchor point. I might be using it again for the EM layout although I'm not coming out so far with the new layout so I might just cantilever off the wall this time. Which is something you could consider as well.

Regards Lez.    

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Seems like you have just about sorted the legs for the modules that are over the cellar doors. So I have probably come to this too late.

But my answer would be legs attached to the wall and hinged - like a gate-leg dining table.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

And my equally-probably-too-late thought is that it is only rarely that you will need the full access space.  If the lifting flaps were cut in half (a la stable doors) you might only usually need to open the halves nearer the camera - and they would be lighter ..... but I may be getting totally the wrong impression of size and clearances.

3 hours ago, Chimer said:

If the lifting flaps were cut in half

Unfortunately, the next part of your sentence is nail and head, as there would be insufficient headroom to get up the stairs. Fully open there's just about 2.0m headroom between the stairs and the adjoining floor joist - at mid-point I doubt if there would be 1.0m. I'm too old to now slither up (or down) the stairs :)).

A sky hook would be a good idea but our local hardware shop tells me that they've none in stock and won't have any any time soon - world shortage apparently :)) .

Now, a gate-type affair would be an idea but ideally made in such a fashion that it closes/opens when the cellar door closes (and vicky verker) so the modules are always supported unless access is required.

I haven't really given it much thought today as I was involved with the club, but I'll probably end up with a permanent arrangement of a simple support linking the modules together - maybe even using the A-frames as suggested by Flying Fox 34F. Thinking it through, the verticals are in place, they're far enough back so as not to walk into them, the doors open clear of the verticals and there's enough headroom for a new horizontal member. Where's my pencil and paper?

Club news: They're having three shows before the year is out including a visit by some Germans to show off their Freemo modules. We'll have to make some adapter modules to suit.

Local news: A village not far from here (that I know very well) is hosting the French soap-box Championships in August. It'll be more exciting than the Tour de France especially there's a section that's about 1 in 6 and speeds are expected to reach 100kph! There is also a Monza turn about midway - Elastoplast are sponsoring it - can't think why :)).

Cheers everyone,

Philip

PS: No update tomorrow being Sunday and we're going out - apparently.

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Yes Philip you can do a swinging gate with a pull cord to close it fitted to the right hand flap and if you put a 45deg brace on it then the flap opening will open it up as you raise the flap simples.

Regards Lez.  

• Like 1

Yes, I'm back unexpectedly. My visit to gay Paree was foreshortened due to there being no power where I was supposed to be working. They have had a smart meter (Linky over here) installed and I just couldn't just switch the main breaker on, note the KWh on the meter and get cracking. Oh no, 'does not compute'. There's a whole palaver now of contacting EDF and getting them to do what needs to be done their end, wait 24hrs, and then the power comes on. I don't even know (yet) if I shall enjoy my power without having to take out a 3, 6 or 12 month contract with them.

So, I left the paint that I brought with me (top tip - paint in plastic tubs does not travel well in a suitcase. How do I know this?) and scurried back off to the station to arrive 15mins before the train was due to depart. There wasn't time to re-buy a return ticket as I had mine already - or so I thought.

Earlier, before setting out on my journey I had bought two one-way tickets with 50% off using a discount card (Fluo) sold by SNCF Grand-Est (anyone aged 26+ can have one). The ticket/guard came around checking the tickets some 10mins out of Paris - gave him my discount card and return ticket. 'Nope - does not compute, only valid on the day for which it was bought (any train, mind you). You haven't a valid ticket and I'll have to fine you - €120 please.' 'Oh', said I, making my biggest possible pleady eyes, 'Oh no, I'm only a poor old pensioner (a la Johnster of this parish). I didn't think it would make any difference - paid-for ticket, half-empty train blah blah whine whine.' Actually, I didn't say very much and let him chatter on to which he terminated by saying that as I didn't have the look of a habitual offender and because I'd gotten on board in good faith, he'd make a gesture and fine me €25 instead. Fine by me as my ticket can be reimbursed if claimed before the day of travel (tomorrow at the time of writing all this) and I did the paperwork today. If they give me my money back, it'll be €25.40 and I'll be up by €0.40 - yay! Somehow, I don't think that'll happen quite like that!

Rather than waste more time like yesterday basically doing a round trip in the rain to Paris, I decided that I would 'get on with it' today. As Mrs Philou's BiL was here today, he wanted to see what I'd done so far (quite impressed) and he helped me square up the latest modules (I may cut some new legs for them as I seemed to have extended one or two a fair bit (they will be recycled if I do)). I also did the cut out under the one module for the power socket, 'twas only 10mm to shave off, then he and I proceeded to cut some planks for legs (I cut enough for about 30) and some ply for fascias for the leg pockets. So all in all progress was made. Tomorrow, I'll be tackling the third corner module. I know we're out later in the afternoon and I'll have to look clean and tidy-like, so time may not be on my side - we'll see.

Cheers everyone, more tomorrow,

Philip

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 6

Allo, allo, mes ami(e)s,

Not a lot to report for today, or yesterday. Progress of a kind has been made and I'd been hoping to do a lot today but the weather was very wet over lunchtime and the early afternoon, and it put the damper on any outside work.

In the end I decided that I would fine tune the levelling that Mrs Philou's BiL and I did the day before and bolt the three modules together. This was done after trimming back some new legs that I had made for the third module yesterday - all hunky dory now. Today was making up four new legs for the third corner module. As the leg pockets had been part-assembled yesterday, I should be ready for the off tomorrow first thing. Hopefully, there'll be a photo showing the corner module standing on its own legs, too. All being well (says he), I could have another two pairs of legs made up for the module adjacent to the third corner too. The pockets are already made up, so who knows. Fingers and thumbs crossed!

Cheers everyone and take care, the weekend has arrived!

Philip

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I managed to get two modules onto their legs, the corner and the one leading towards Pontrilas station. They're not bolted together but level in respect of each other:

P1020239.JPG.98adbca78342ba6c1ef4c0e8aac12dba.JPG

Here are the three modules now levelled - again in respect of each other:

P1020238.JPG.69ad1936f4ffa6ad24685e275cb1181d.JPG

The fun will really begin once the final corner module is 'legged' and the other three modules levelled to it, as I can see already that something is not quite 'right' over in the Pontrilas/Dymented corner as a bubble is showing to me that the mainline is rising towards Pontrilas whereas it should be on a fall. The branch is rising but not as steeply as I would have thought for a 1:50 grade. It might just be a mis-measurement on the leg height (50mm seems much though) or on the pre-cuts for the track-bed. I'll do the detective work once the next four modules are i place. I have to sort out the levelling before I do the last four infill modules along each side - what fun, eh?

I did also consider that it doesn't really matter as there isn't any trackbed (other than where it cuts through the module ends which can be easily amended) and as it's mainly semi-open framed, the important thing will be to set the trackbed correctly - landscaping will take care of the rest ;).

It seems at it's all going the right way - final levelling excepted.

Cheers everybody, maybe more tomorrow,

Philip

• Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 1

There is error - I went back into the barn as it was bugging me. The floor was intended to be 0 datum, but I considered that it may have not been true - wood being what it is - but nonetheless, I decided to measure the cut-outs for the trackbed from the floor. On the one module (of the three just bolted) is showing me an error of 10mm between the plan height and floor height - which is correct as I allowed for the 10mm thickness of the trackbed when it is to be laid.

The corner module is showing an error of 40mm too high - I can't figure out where the error occurred - but it is there, measured off the floor. I can only think that when I constructed the corner module I must have made some 'adjustments' along the way. Tomorrow, I'll revisit these off-the-floor measurements (that accord with the plan) and reduce the length of the legs as necessary - won't take long to cut the eight legs (and I may have correct length ones in stock anyway).

More update tomorrow,

Philip

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 4

Oh no! Tomorrow is already here and the weekend nearly over (when you're retired, I suppose everyday is like a weekend). I rechecked my floor to trackbed levels on the end of the units which confirmed that there is error somewhere on my 3D drawings (I have 2 and the data check! :/ ). No matter, I swopped the legs from the very last module 'legged' to the corner module and as luck would have it, I had 4 legs already made that needed trimming by 15mm each. 10 minutes to exchange and cut back, an hour to redo the levels AND keeping the trackbeds at their pre-determined heights off the floor - I'm sure I'm going to have to revisit the levels as time goes on. I also took the opportunity to level the two other tunnel modules whilst I was on my hands and knees.

I would have done some more bolting together but I'm clean out of 10mm copper at the mo'. On the shopping list!

Tomorrow, I'll be starting on the last corner module. Once legged I shall go about doing the Pontrilas station modules and levelling them to each other - so that should take me to the end of the week. The sooner done, I can then set about completing the infills - we'll see if the levels work out!

Cheers everyone,

Philip

• Like 9

Today was a day of frustration yet fruitful, a day of wasted time but no time wasted, it was a day of contrasts and contrariness, it .......... 'OK Philou, what's up? Have you become Phil O'Sophical then?'

I decided this morning, once I'd cut the lawn, to get to the bottom of this apparent 50mm discrepancy and I decided I would start all over again. Not quite from the beginning but from where I started putting the legs on the modules. Using my floor as datum, I measured off from the floor to the very beginning of Module A, where the line crosses over the Bromyard road - and there it was. The reading was 1025mm. You will recall that previously @Chimer  questioned the height of the modules which I measured at 1010mm. Well! Had I used the floor as datum (as I should have done), the 'proper' height of the trackbed should have been 1088mm - 60mm odd higher again.

I now know what happened. As I 'legged' the first corner module (Module D) it became apparent that E and F would touch the ceiling and I therefore set D low enough to give clearance - the 60-odd mm difference - without cross-referencing this change on the plan - stupid boy!

Having found this, I set about ensuring that Modules A to F were all horizontal in respect to each other that took a fair while - but all is now good in the vicinity of Ledbury station.

This afternoon, it was five steps back and two forward. Having found the error, it had meant up-ending the second corner module (that is now Module Q) and the two alongside that I bolted together the other day. The remedy has been relatively simple as it has meant simply removing 60mm off the legs - but it's a faff. The corner has now been reset at its lower height and levelled and the height of the trackbed accords with that on the 3D plan that I have also amended accordingly.

As soon as Module Q was back on its legs at the corrected height, I could see straight away that the alignment of the side piece will now give a smooth rise and meet up with Module A when I construct the infill module (Module R), which until yesterday just looked odd. After carefully remeasuring the intended height of Module P, the legs were recut and fitted. This module is now bolted to the corner one. An unfortunate effect of this shortening of the legs is that a clash occurred between the bottom of the back side of Module P and a wall socket. A quick zip with the jigsaw and that too was sorted. 

Tomorrow, I shall modify the three modules already legged, after carefully checking the intended heights of the trackbeds. I can then get started on the modules yet to be legged.

Hey ho! A bit annoying that it happened, but it did, but I wasn't so far down the line that I would have had to re-cut them all! Anyone want a number of 60mm off-cuts? They shan't go to waste as they're perfect as thickeners for my adjustable feet ........ silver linings and all that!

More updating tomorrow,

Cheers,

Philip

• Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Gold
28 minutes ago, Philou said:

Anyone want a number of 60mm off-cuts? They shan't go to waste as they're perfect as thickeners for my adjustable feet ........ silver linings and all that!

Or glue blocks? Or are you already fully stocked with them?

Paul.

• Funny 5

1 hour ago, 5BarVT said:

Or glue blocks? Or are you already fully stocked with them?

@5BarVT These off-cuts are not of use to me as glue blocks as they're twice the width that I would normally use, and I don't fancy splitting them down either. No, they'll be fine for the ends of the next load of legs - I shall need at least 28 more legs for the 'legless' modules plus the infillers.

Glue blocks? Pah, never enough though thankfully I shan't need an awful lot more!

Cheers,

Philip

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3