Unequal motor running

gismorail

Just wondering if any of you have any ideas as to why my class 47 motors are running at different speeds. Noticed this when I put loco on a rolling road whilst trying to sort out ' jerking' running problems . Think this could well be the solution

Any one had the same problem ????? Loco is currently fitted with a SWD sound chip which I am about to send to Howes for a re.blow.......

Noticed this when I put loco on a rolling road whilst trying to sort out ' jerking' running problems .

I'm interested in what you mean by 'jerking' running problems - I've been disappointed by the running properties of my own O gauge 47, which are best described as giving a kind of fore-and-aft surging. This is most noticeable in the 30-50mph speed range, when all of the vehicles in its train will gently repeat the surging motion. I've tried everything to eliminate this - endless wheel cleaning, checking the lubrication, fine-tuning the pickups, trying different controllers. I've even removed each of the motor bogies in turn and replaced them temporarily with a homemade three axle unpowered bogie, in case it was the interaction of the two motors that was causing the problem, as per your message. Nothing has had any effect, so I'm stumped. I simply can't see how a locomotive that weighs so much and has a drivetrain with well-lubricated spur gearing and flywheels can run less smoothly than my other diesels which are much lighter and are fitted with worm-drive without any flywheels. I seem to recall that RMWebber F-Unit Mad has previously reported something similar with his Heljan Hymek, but I can't find his post now. If anyone can suggest a cure, I'd be very grateful!

David

Have you tried disabling feedback on the decoder ?

HJ47s have flywheels and these tend to cause problems if feedback is enabled.

Thanks for the suggestion Beast - my 47 isn't DCC-equipped, but I plead guilty to using DC feedback controllers - I'll try it out using my trusty old H&M Duette. I hadn't considered that the flywheels might be the problem....when I started building locos in the 70s, flywheels always seemed desirable for smooth-running. I guess the world has moved on and left me behind - time to do some catching up! Many thanks again

David

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Thanks for the suggestion Beast - my 47 isn't DCC-equipped, but I plead guilty to using DC feedback controllers - I'll try it out using my trusty old H&M Duette. I hadn't considered that the flywheels might be the problem....when I started building locos in the 70s, flywheels always seemed desirable for smooth-running. I guess the world has moved on and left me behind - time to do some catching up! Many thanks again

David

David........what was the result?

• 2 weeks later...

I had the same problem with my Class 47, I took the cover off the gear train in the bogie and found that the first gear wheel that drives from the motor worm had split and was moving on its shaft, I contacted Howes of Oxford and they immediately knew what I was talking about, I guess its a known problem and they sent me a replacement gear wheel, which I haven't fitted yet. I hope this might help

Archived