Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Non-shrinking body filler

Guest Jack Benson

Guest Jack Benson

The plastic body of the brake van on the workbench has several holes formerly used for locating tabs, all need attention but Squadron Green filler seems to unobtainable. From memory Halfords knifing filler was good but can shrink and 2-part Miliput is not particularly suitable for this task. 

Any favourites that might be suitable?

Thank you

Squadron putty is nigh on impossible to get hold of at the moment, it was difficult when I got my last tube a couple of years back. The manager of Antics in Cardiff recommended Deluxe Materials Perfect Plastic Putty. I have some, but not used it yet, but have yet to find fault with any of his recommendations. It  says it has low shrinkage and it cleans up with water. 

Otherwise there is Humbrol Model Filler, great in thin layers, but it is aggressive and will attack the plastic.

• Informative/Useful 1

Guest Jack Benson

Thank you,

Squadron was a US retailer of plastic kits that also sold modelling products, they suffered financial difficulties and ceased trading earlier this year. 

StaySafe

1 minute ago, Jack Benson said:

Thank you,

Squadron was a US retailer of plastic kits that also sold modelling products, they suffered financial difficulties and ceased trading earlier this year. 

StaySafe

That would expain it then. Shame, it was my preferred filler. 

• Agree 1

I recently tried Deluxe Materials Perfect Plastic Putty as an alternative to Squadron Green and found that although it was very good for certain tasks, it wasnt as versatile as Squadron Green. 

The two main problems I've found with it are that it's almost runny - I'd guess its consistency is mid-way between Copydex and PVA - which makes it difficult if you need to build up any kind of depth.  I assume that to get that consistency must require a fairly high liquid content, which cannot help shrinkage rates as it dries (shrinkage wasnt relevant with the uses I've put it to, so wasnt noted)

The other problem is that I found it preferred sticking to whatever I was using to spread it with, rather than whatever I was trying to spread it on!  That is a problem it shares with Woodland Scenics Foam Putty, which again I found excellent for certain purposes but even less versatile than the Deluxe Putty.

I'm still searching for a replacement for Squadron Green that I'm entirely happy with.  Everyone who's used it speaks very highly of Tamiya filler but I cannot find anyone who stocks it locally and being a chemical means P&P charges are steep if ordered on line.

• RMweb Gold

I have recently used Green Stuff World acrylic filler with success.

https://www.greenstuffworld.com/en/green-stuff/1220-green-putty.html

It may be that it is too expensive to be bought on its own, of course. There is an account of how I used it here:

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/151137-easton-isle-of-portland/page/51/

It has been in place for a month now, and there is no sign whatsoever of any shrinkage.

• RMweb Gold

I've got Revell Plasto that I use for larger areas that need filling, I've not noticed any shrinkage. Also use Games Workshop "Liquid Green Stuff" for smaller holes. The latter is water based and not as easy to use for big areas so never tried, but great for filling cracks.