The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

When you want to scream!

melmerby

• RMweb Premium

Hi all

I have been trying to get a copy of Lewis's GWR Steam Rail Motors for sometime and never found one at a reasonable cost until two days ago, when I spotted a copy in near mint condition at a transport bookseller for £40 plus post.

I duly bought it and it was sent Royal Mail 1st class signed for.

It arrived today with a thump.

The idiot postie, finding the outer door shut and parcel too large for letterbox, instead of ringing the bell (I was about 10 metres from the door at the time) threw it over the garden gate and stuffed a soggy "something for you" card with a cryptic "Gate" scrawled across it in big letters.

Bear in mind today is wet and the parcel was in a jiffy type bag you can guess that it was damp when I retreived it about 5 mins after he left it.

Fortunately the inner wrapping by the bookseller was plastic and well taped up so the damp hadn't got to the book but one corner is badly bashed as it presumably landed on that corner when it went over the gate.

I have contacted the seller with some pictures of the damage to the book and the RM card and await a reply.

Royal Mail, they make you want to scream.

Aaaaaarrrrrggggghhhhh!

• Friendly/supportive 12

I had some Mamod wagons delivered a few years ago. The numpty postie threw them over the side gate, which was unlocked, without knocking on the front door. He narrowly missed my youngest who was about 5 at the time! A complaint was ignored until I went to the sorting office. I got a book of first class stamps as compensation.!

• Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
56 minutes ago, didcot said:

I had some Mamod wagons delivered a few years ago. The numpty postie threw them over the side gate, which was unlocked, without knocking on the front door. He narrowly missed my youngest who was about 5 at the time! A complaint was ignored until I went to the sorting office. I got a book of first class stamps as compensation.!

A ridiculous thing is that I had two tracked RM items today, the first one fitted through the letterbox and I had retreived some time previously from there, it was only whilst I was on the computer that the notification of delivery of the book came in by e-mail.

Puzzled I went back to the porch to find the red card sticking through the letterbox and then found the package sitting on the damp floor by the back gate.

The claimed delivery time is before the delivery time for the previous item, which I had already had.

I checked the doorbell in case it wasn't working but it was fine, it's mains powered and loud!

Something doesn't seem to add up.

Why chuck a package, obviously containing a book over a gate on a wet day?

(RM now need pictures of the packaging so the seller can forward a claim.)

• Friendly/supportive 1

Many years ago I did some Agency work at the (now long closed) Curzon St Parcelforce Depot in Birmingham. I saw the way the Sorters treated parcels as they came down the conveyor belt from the road trailers, to be 'placed' in cages according to Postcode. Your Postie throwing a parcel over your back gate would not have been the first or only time it made a mid-air journey, of considerable distance.

If things are still the same in the sorting hubs these days, I'm amazed anything gets delivered un-damaged.

• RMweb Premium

It is all a matter of packing. I was once told that if you want your shipment to arrive undamaged, pack it so that it will be the only survivor of the plane crash when the plane flies into a mountain.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, J. S. Bach said:

It is all a matter of packing. I was once told that if you want your shipment to arrive undamaged, pack it so that it will be the only survivor of the plane crash when the plane flies into a mountain.

The problem then is that it will be so bulky it needs to be delivered on a pallet:jester:

• Like 1