The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Electric, Hybrid and Alternative fuelled vehicles - News and Discussion

Ron Ron Ron

43 minutes ago, boxbrownie said:

But does the Dundee one serve deep fried Mars Bars?

I am unable to to find the answer to that.

I rather like the sound of Wee Mexico across the way though.

9 minutes ago, admiles said:

Or maybe it shows the current limitations of the charging network?

No it's really user befuddlement. No way on earth should you have problems getting out of Bournemouth starting with 45 miles of range. IT's one of the better places to find chargers.

Now a trip to Brean Down in a 24kWh Leaf is a bit trickier.

35 minutes ago, 30801 said:

No it's really user befuddlement. No way on earth should you have problems getting out of Bournemouth starting with 45 miles of range. IT's one of the better places to find chargers.

Now a trip to Brean Down in a 24kWh Leaf is a bit trickier.

Matter of opinion or perspective perhaps?  These people have almost certainly come from an ICE car and are used to being able to fill up quickly and easily at one of the many petrol stations in their area. They probably don't want to have to use an app to find a charging point that's free or works. They just want to carry on as they have done for years with a little (or zero) mental input. People are fundamentally lazy. They want things to be as painless and stress free as possible. Especially if they have a hundred other things going on in life already.

Should Mr & Mrs new Porker owner bought themselves an EV yet? No, if they're not prepared to be a bit of an "enthusiast" (as someone put it earlier in the thread), probably not. In a few years time when the charging network is more developed then yes it'll probably suit them just fine.

I know of seven people off the top of my head, including my Dad, who have had an EV and gone back to an ICE because of the problems of finding places to charge. An EV as they currently stand will work for some people but not others (me included). Everyone's different!

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
28 minutes ago, admiles said:

These people have almost certainly come from an ICE car and are used to being able to fill up quickly and easily at one of the many petrol stations in their area. They probably don't want to have to use an app to find a charging point that's free or works. They just want to carry on as they have done for years with a little (or zero) mental input.

Petrol stations are big and bright and easy to find on main roads. Charging points are often hidden away in a corner of a hotel or restaurant or gym  car park, so not quite so obvious - yet.

As has been said, Shell and BP are currently rolling out chargers on their petrol station forecourts, and supermarkets are starting to follow suit, so that situation will change soon, too.

12 minutes ago, Ian Morgan said:

Petrol stations are big and bright and easy to find on main roads. Charging points are often hidden away in a corner of a hotel or restaurant or gym  car park, so not quite so obvious - yet.

For example here's the last public charger I used. You're not going to see it driving past. Nor would you ever be driving past it.

I think the moral of the story is that Porsche's navigation software sucks.

https://goo.gl/maps/U8oBsZYRuGWv9ipU8

49 minutes ago, Ian Morgan said:

Here is the last public charger I used, as seen from the main road:

and compare that with the last petrol station I used:

One of those things is a massive eyesore.

4 hours ago, 30801 said:

One of those things is a massive eyesore.

Indeed, a huge yellow arrow attached to a tree, not only ruins the natural foliage, but could be a distraction to drivers.

So it's ugly and potentially dangerous.

• Like 2
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Premium
38 minutes ago, idd15 said:

The future of charging has arrived! It’s even got canopies...

Somebody will find a reason to criticise it.......”oh no, you have to undo  that ribbon each time you need to charge”

There, can’t use that one now :lol:

Edited by boxbrownie
  • Funny 2

They built and finished that project in almost no time at all.

It was only announced earlier this year and as RL says in the video, it was just holes in the ground and mud, when he visited during the summer.

Very, very impressive.

Now if that had been a local authority, or government project, it would probably have taken another year to build, cost three times as much...and then gone over budget.

The interviews are interesting in highlighting the ambition of the company.

Hundreds of sites, big and small.

99% of the market there for the taking, etc.

The days of lonely charging points, stuck at the back of a pub car park, or in the wet and dismal corner of a service station, will probably disappear in due course.

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, 30801 said:

None of the cars parked at the chargers are plugged in!

Note that there are examples of most EV's on the market (UK) present.

Presumably a launch event, with the manufacturers, distributors and motoring press present.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ron Ron Ron said:

Note that there are examples of most EV's on the market (UK) present.

Presumably a launch event, with the manufacturers, distributors and motoring press present.

Well I'm still going to key them for blocking chargers!

20 minutes ago, 30801 said:

Well I'm still going to key them for blocking chargers!

Oooh harsh!

OK my moan. Blooming Tesla charging at a universal charger when they’ve got their own, almost as bad when they use their Chademo adaptor! :nono:  :Didd

• RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, idd15 said:

The future of charging has arrived! It’s even got canopies...

There's a shopping centre in Australia that did similar a few years ago - although they were using the power for the shopping centre rather than charging cars. By putting canopies over the parking spaces, not only did they get essentially free power, but they also shaded the cars and so helped them keep cool (and thus less air-con needed when the occupants returned, and so less emissions)

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, boxbrownie said:

Somebody will find a reason to criticise it.......”oh no, you have to undo  that ribbon each time you need to charge”

There, can’t use that one now :lol:

Well, OK, I will. Seems really poorly laid out. They could get twice as many charging points in that space.

26 minutes ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

Well, OK, I will. Seems really poorly laid out. They could get twice as many charging points in that space.

Some EVs have badly placed sockets. Porsche Taycan for example. Some i3 drivers will moan at you for using 'the CCS side' of a charger, seemingly unaware that other cars have their CCS on the other side.

Plus trailers. EV towing is still a rarity but the current network is virtually impossible to use with something hooked on the back.

So it's useful they were generous with space.

If you want efficient packing try charging at Gunwharf Quays in Portsmouth. Cars with sockets on the side need not apply.

13 minutes ago, Nick C said:

There's also the psychological thing of laying it out like a conventional liquid-fuel filling station, to use that familiarity in people's minds.

It's OK if you're making a pit stop while travelling somewhere but what I like most about EVs is not going to petrol stations. I prefer the odd little tucked away charging locations.

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, 30801 said:

It's OK if you're making a pit stop while travelling somewhere but what I like most about EVs is not going to petrol stations. I prefer the odd little tucked away charging locations.

I would too, but I think it's more about 'making a statement' and getting into the public viewpoint

Edited by Nick C
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1