The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Electric, Hybrid and Alternative fuelled vehicles - News and Discussion

Ron Ron Ron

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, admiles said:

Not that I'd ever afford one anyway but why oh why do EV's have to look so hideous?

I know how something looks is very much a personal thing but I couldn't bring myself to spend a serious amount of money on something I found actively unpleasant to look at.

But I bet you watched raymw’s link from start to finish? :lol:

15 minutes ago, boxbrownie said:

I put the clapping emoji on because I assume that’s the noise they make in those roads......:blush:

Reminds me of one day at work, quite a few years ago. My company car was in for a service and an urgent job came in which needed a site visit. Take my car, said the boss, handing me the keys to his one week old Merc. Upon return, handing him back the keys I quipped "Lovely car, but those air bags don't half make a racket when they go off" - his face was a picture - and yes he went out to check !!!!

It actually was a nice car, forget the model though.

Brit15

• Funny 4

Young Naomi, is a very clever lass. Has a few tech toys, lasers, cnc machining centre, and the like. It'll be interesting if she sorts out the suspension on that trike. And, iirc, a year or so she did a vid on updating her airbags.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 11/12/2020 at 15:48, Fenman said:

........I'll be fascinated to see if the Skoda Enyaq uses a different interface to VW's.

It looks to be exactly the same interface, but repackaged, Paul.

The drivers instrument display is attached to the steering column on the ID4, but more conventionally set into the dash on the Enyaq.

The buttons under the central infotainment display on the ID4, are moved to a lower position on the more conventional Enyaq dash.

Actual displays might be tweaked if there are any VW logos, or markings on the screens.

2021-VW-ID.3-interior.jpg

VW%20ID4%20yellow-7.jpg

Skoda%20Enyaq%20official%20pics%202021-2

maxresdefault.jpg

Edited by Ron Ron Ron

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, 30801 said:

Tesla can't screw doors on straight.

Seems they're not too hot at embedded systems design either; 159,000 cars with electronics systems gradually failing with random faults.

https://www.theregister.com/2020/11/17/tesla_nand_memory/

I'd be interested to know if that's a schoolboy error in design or a cynical product decision, not sure which is worse!

3 minutes ago, spamcan61 said:

https://www.theregister.com/2020/11/17/tesla_nand_memory/

I'd be interested to know if that's a schoolboy error in design or a cynical product decision, not sure which is worse!

I'd mentioned that somewhere, maybe not in this thread.

It's a combination of buggy software like the one spamming a log file on the flash coupled with having the flash soldered in place.

Fixing the software can be done over the air on a Tesla but having the flash soldered in means replacing a whole unit instead of just putting a new memory card/flash drive in.

The flash will fail eventually but a car is something you expect to get at least a decade out of. You don't replace it like a smart phone.

10 hours ago, Ron Ron Ron said:

Hot on the heels of VW's ID3 and ID4, next up comes the ID5.

(shown here with the future performance model of the ID4, the GTX)

Both are due in late 2021 / early 2022.

11-vw-id5-render.jpg?itok=u1H2BPLd

There’s a background article here on the extraordinary plans.

I was particularly struck by the revised targets for EV sales by 2030: originally VW wanted 35% of all their sales by then to be EV; they now want it to be 55%.

I remain staggered at the speed of VW’s transformation, after the horrors of dieselgate, into an EV champion. Maybe it was cynicism, maybe altruism, but there can be no doubting their commitment to electrification now. 

Paul

5 hours ago, Fenman said:

......I remain staggered at the speed of VW’s transformation, after the horrors of dieselgate, into an EV champion. Maybe it was cynicism, maybe altruism, but there can be no doubting their commitment to electrification now. ....

Maybe a stark recognition that the car manufacturing world is going to be turned on its head, by electrification, new significant “disrupters” in the marketplace and the looming giant that is China.

Those established motor manufacturing giants who are slow and fail to react to these changes fast enough, stand the risk of huge damage to their businesses, if not complete collapse, at least as stand alone entities.

VW have and are invested €billions on their new production facilities and the conversion of their existing plants.

Not only in Germany, but in China and at the huge plant at Chattanooga, in the USA.

Likewise the huge expansion of Tesla, creating massive Giga and Terra factories in China and Germany, in addition to more facilities it’s creating across the US.

Somewhere, or someone at the top of VAG,  must have grasped where this was going to go and taken these extremely bold moves before they became part of the chasing pack. I’ve no doubt there were powers that be and vested interests who thought it a huge gamble and maybe a reckless risk, but I suspect it was recognised that this really was do-or-die time?

Edited by Ron Ron Ron
  • Agree 1

Unfortunately the Zoe had an advisory on it's MOT for a delaminating rear numberplate, the front one was fine and I'm assuming it was because that was screwed in place but the rear one was on sticky pads. So we thought we might as well have the new set with the EV identifier... (the screw is temporary until I source some white button heads.

00100lrPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20201215115245434_COVER.jpg

Edited by 298

I didn’t know that as I was only sent it yesterday. I did do a search on the topic before posting and nothing came up.

Funnily enough when I was searching the web everything pointed towards 2020, but I’ve now seen it could have been 2016....

Oh well.....:D

Edited by gordon s
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, admiles said:

Well that was worth my family being split up from each other then....

It doesn't yet give you any advantage that I can see. One day you might get free parking or something for your green flash but not yet. Low emission zones and such will run off ANPR anyway.

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, 30801 said:

It doesn't yet give you any advantage that I can see. One day you might get free parking or something for your green flash but not yet. Low emission zones and such will run off ANPR anyway.

I believe it increases your smug quota :D

Edited by boxbrownie
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 5