RMweb

Electric, Hybrid and Alternative fuelled vehicles - News and Discussion

Ron Ron Ron

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Hobby said:

I suspect road pricing initially, there's enough stuff in modern cars to make it feasible. 

What about the not so modern cars?  Mine has connected capability but I can also delete the option, that would be fun.

22 minutes ago, boxbrownie said:

What about the not so modern cars?  Mine has connected capability but I can also delete the option, that would be fun.

A wee black box. Like teenagers have for their insurance.

4 minutes ago, boxbrownie said:

The ones that be disconnected/taken out with phantom power between journeys, it’s a popular illegal “modification”.

🤫

Whatever you do people will try to avoid paying tax...

1 hour ago, boxbrownie said:

The only easy way for road pricing would be at each MoT the mileage must be recorded and logged, that’s fine but for the first three years, hmm.

The technology to charge variable rates already  exists in quantity across our road networks - ANPR cameras.

as each new ULEZ zone, smart motorway etc comes on stream so does the ANPR coverage.

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, black and decker boy said:

The technology to charge variable rates already  exists in quantity across our road networks - ANPR cameras.

as each new ULEZ zone, smart motorway etc comes on stream so does the ANPR coverage.

Not down here, there are only 25 ANPR on ours (that’s the whole of Cornwall) and then there is only one on each of the twenty five roads, and absolutely none on the roads we regularly travel on.

Roll on road pricing then. 😄

Edited by boxbrownie

On 17/11/2022 at 16:33, APOLLO said:

• zero emission cars first registered between 1 April 2017 and 31 March 2025 will also pay the standard rate • the Expensive Car Supplement exemption for electric vehicles is due to end in 2025. New zero emission cars registered on or after 1 April 2025 will therefore be liable for the expensive car supplement. The Expensive Car Supplement currently applies to cars with a list price exceeding £40,000 for 5 years

• zero and low emission cars first registered between 1 March 2001 and 30 March 2017 currently in Band A will move to the Band B rate, currently £20 a year

The above from the Gov budget official blurb.

Am I right in saying that this is the first time road tax has been back dated  to include cars registered in past years ?

This if so sets a precedent for all users of cars of all ages and all fuels.

A bit draconian.

Brit15

On 19/11/2022 at 21:50, APOLLO said:

……Am I right in saying that this is the first time road tax has been back dated  to include cars registered in past years ?

This if so sets a precedent for all users of cars of all ages and all fuels.

A bit draconian

Nothing is being backdated.

The relevant duties will be implemented from 1st April 2025.

All that has changed for EVs previously registered since 1st April 2017, is that they’ll now be eligible for the standard rate of road tax, from 1st April 2025.

The same as any EVs registered after that date.

The expensive car supplement (list price above £40,000) will also apply from 1st April 2025, so with the 5 year rule, EV’s costing more than £40,000 registered after 1st April 2020 will also attract that supplement until they are 5 years old (from 1st registration). 

For example, an EV registered in 2021, will only pay the expensive car supplement for one year.

An ICE car registered in 2021 will have already been paying that supplement since first registration and will end up paying 5 years worth, as opposed to one year for an EV registered at the same time. 

There is no difference in applying new tax rates to previously registered vehicles, than in the past.

Every time VED goes up, it applies to vehicles registered in the past, as well as newly registered vehicles.

EVs have already been liable to VED, although the rate applied up to now has been £0.

Edited by Ron Ron Ron
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Ron Ron Ron said:

Nothing is being backdated.

The relevant duties will be implemented from 1st April 2025.

All that has changed for EVs previously registered since 1st April 2017, is that they’ll now be eligible for the standard rate of road tax, from 1st April 2025.

The same as any EVs registered after that date.

The expensive car supplement (list price above £40,000) will also apply from 1st April 2025, so with the 5 year rule, EV’s costing more than £40,000 registered after 1st April 2020 will also attract that supplement until they are 5 years old (from 1st registration). 

For example, an EV registered in 2021, will only pay the expensive car supplement for one year.

An ICE car registered in 2021 will have already been paying that supplement since first registration and will end up paying 5 years worth, as opposed to one year for an EV registered at the same time. 

There is no difference in applying new tax rates to previously registered vehicles, than in the past.

Every time VED goes up, it applies to vehicles registered in the past, as well as newly registered vehicles.

EVs have already been liable to VED, although the rate applied up to now has been £0.

Perhaps back dated is the wrong expression but it is unusual for an additional tax to be charged on a vehicle that has already been purchased (additional as apposed to usual yearly increases)

The additional tax for cars over £40k was announced in 2015 and applied to new vehicles purchased & first registered after April 2017 so people buying such a car knew what the costs would be

Very different to the position of people who have just bought an EV with a list price over £40k who will now have to pay ~£500 for the next 4 years

• Informative/Useful 1

21 minutes ago, Ryde-on-time said:

……Very different to the position of people who have just bought an EV with a list price over £40k who will now have to pay ~£500 for the next 4 years

If they’ve just bought the car in 2022, then they’ll only pay the tax from 2025 up to 2027, 5 years after first registration.

Depending whether the car tax is due before or after 1st April, that’ll be either 2 or 3 years of paying the tax.

• RMweb Gold
39 minutes ago, Ron Ron Ron said:

If they’ve just bought the car in 2022, then they’ll only pay the tax from 2025 up to 2027, 5 years after first registration.

Depending whether the car tax is due before or after 1st April, that’ll be either 2 or 3 years of paying the tax.

Yes, now i’ve looked further i stand corrected. Various websites are ambiguous or misleading and suggest the luxury car tax will apply retrospectively to EV cars registered after 2017 that are within their first 5 years after 2025. The government statement however says:

‘the Expensive Car Supplement exemption for electric vehicles is due to end in 2025.
New zero emission cars registered on or after 1 April 2025 will therefore be liable for the expensive car supplement. The Expensive Car Supplement currently applies to cars with a list price exceeding £40,000 for 5 years’

So I'm confused... I bought a Q4 at the end of 2021 which was more than £40k but due to being fully electric paid no 'Expensive car' tax. I've just had my first annual reminder to pay £0 annual road tax, however since the budget statement, it's not clear if from 2025 I will pay two years of 'Expensive car' tax after 2025 or whether it will somehow be back dated or apply earlier?

I think I won't worry and will just wait and see what happens! After all there is nothing I can do!

Cheers

Jeremy

Is it any different to the stuff on my Octavia where you get things like traffic updates for 12m and then have to pay to renew, though? You'd have to pay for a chip upgrade from an outside supplier, that's not really any different. I really don't see any difference. There's lots of other stuff where the manufacturers do the same thing!

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, APOLLO said:

That is wrong on so many counts.

Brit15

Is it though?  If your a secondhand car buyer and you bought the model which the original owner didn’t buy the more powerful model, it gives the secondhand buyer the choice of a faster car if they want it, if they don’t all well and good.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, boxbrownie said:

Is it though?  If your a secondhand car buyer and you bought the model which the original owner didn’t buy the more powerful model,

In the past the faster model had better bits in it...

Conversely there was that used Tesla that someone bought a while ago that had full Autopilot. Until Tesla decided it shouldn't have that and remotely disabled it.

1 hour ago, Hobby said:

Is it any different to the stuff on my Octavia where you get things like traffic updates for 12m and then have to pay to renew, though?

It is different because traffic updates are an ongoing service. They are providing new value.

It's not the same as paying montly to be able to turn on the heated seats which is a thing BMW actually do now.

3 minutes ago, 30801 said:

Conversely there was that used Tesla that someone bought a while ago that had full Autopilot. Until Tesla decided it shouldn't have that and remotely disabled it.

Although to give Tesla their due they did let Teslas with software limited battery sizes use the full capacity if they were in regions affected by those wildfires a few years ago.

5 minutes ago, 30801 said:

It is different because traffic updates are an ongoing service. They are providing new value.

It's not the same as paying monthly to be able to turn on the heated seats which is a thing BMW actually do now.

You can still use the satnav without traffic updates, you have that option, it's simply an extra, same as the speed upgrade, and can be added or taken away.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hobby said:

You can still use the satnav without traffic updates, you have that option, it's simply an extra, same as the speed upgrade, and can be added or taken away.

It's really not. Traffic updates are a service. It's data someone needs to collect on a continual basis. It has an ongoing cost.

• RMweb Premium

Subscriptions for features on a car (any car, not just electric) sounds awfully close to 'renting' a car rather than owning it. I'd prefer to have ownership and not be paying ongoing subscriptions (as I do with media like music and films). It's an 'old-fashioned' view in modern times, but I stick by it, especially in these high inflation times when people suddenly have to cancel subscriptions so they can afford to heat their homes and put food on the table.

• Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, 30801 said:

In the past the faster model had better bits in it...

What they might/could do then is make one with the nice bits on and if you want luxury and smoothness buy the “basic power” version, if you want a whizzy Tesla chaser pay the extra or buy it as a secondhand owner.

Edited by boxbrownie