Breakfast my Lord?

• RMweb Premium

Just for fun I attach my tray of delights. I have used my jolly old Badger and compressor (and Halfords best primer) for the first time in AGES and given some ongoing builds a couple of 'undercoats'!

Have a go at identifying the collection (no it won't be Kim's Game next posting). 'Old' hands will recognise some of the stuff as they have been on the bench for far too long!

Ignore the paint pots and gubbins as it's all ready to go back down to the garage (sorry workshop) tomorrow, bar a few adjustments to masking.:O

Coachman and Mozzer resist if possible and gentlemen, this is not a request for comments as I can see all the 'orrible bits! :blink:

• RMweb Premium

Bit of Ian Kirk and Parkside there??

Hey, almost and yes, correct, a good old chunky Kirky Brake. This I am using to practise painting and detailing with Roxey bits to see if it's worth it, otherwise they go on fleaba or end up as Departmental stock.

The other is my Comet Brake Semi Open.

The vans are ........ Chivers (inc a Chivers/Comet hybrid); hence the 'Breakfast my Lord' (Chivers..... marmalade - Ill get my summer jacket!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) :rolleyes:

Thanks for bothering!

Have a great weekend.

36E

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

The "chunky Kirky brake" seen on that silly tray has progressed somewhat and all I can say is why am I bothering? Well, I suppose because it's there! I may do another couple I have which are catering vehicles, but no more low or high window standard later stock Maunsells with Hornby's product being so good.

Bits - I've used Comet vents, Roxey handles and fuse wire/handrail knobs for the bog fillers.

Roof is Halfords grey primer lightly weathered with white spirit; (not really finished and I think I need a roundy thing on the water tank top as well as destination board holders).

Body is Railmatch BR Southern Green (50/50 white spirit in the airbrush - three coats) + some brush 'touch ups' where I have applied handrails (0.45 nickel wire). I just couldn't get the Maunsell long, vertical handrail shape (Guard's area).

No varnish as yet & ends not completed or painted properly (alarm gear and bits to go on ends). No numbers and lettering yet!

Underframe has no detail yet but 'running boards' are Humbrol 33 Matt Black (aged tin!!). Probably going to use Comet bits but may have to use the Kirk Dynamo as the Comet one is not the right shape.

Buffers - yet to decide, but the Kirk ones are pretty naff!

Bogies - slightly modified Baccy Bulleids! (Had to adjust the central fitting to body and add some plasticard strips to adjust ride/clearance height). Temp fit at moment; couplings, step boards...?

As you may notice the interior is populated but I forgot to put in the corridor handrail when I 'glazed' (not flushglaze, just the old clear strip which was a b****r to fit, BUT the Formula 560 Canopy Glue I used was quite good). I've tried scratching on a line to 'indicate' a handrail but it's rubbish! The interior 'kit' also seems too tall, despite sitting on the coach floor. Perhaps I should have built the interior onto the floor pan rather than using my 'usual' sheet of plasticard method as for Comets?:blink:

It's quite good fun doing this, trying to detail the basic kit and researching the prototype. However, I would not really recommend it, unless of course you are bonkers or are making something which is not available elsewhere RTR (items from the LNER range for example), but even then I would go for etched kits or conversions a la Coachman.

The two LNER D127s (EM, one plain Chivers, the other the Comet sides/ends, Chivers hybrid) & the ex LMS Fish Van (plain Chivers) from the tray, are already in the loft and just need couplings, numbers etc and weathering.

As for the Comet Bulleid Brake......... shall we say, work in progress (still):rolleyes:

Sincerely, 36E

Archived