EWS60065's Modern-ish Wagon Projects (Weathering, Modifying, Scratchbuilds)

@sb67

Thanks, I'm not too sure on the exact type - it's about 1mm deep and was stuck on with UHU. I would recommend 2 part epoxy though as they did come off during the building process. There are two kinds of plastic on these wagons, the chassis can easily be bonded with solvent cement but the wheel unit and stanchion mouldings as you say aren't very easy to glue (or file for that matter)! 

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

January Update Part 1

Well, it's almost a month since the last update! Several wagon and locomotive projects are on the go at the moment and more will be revealed later. I wanted to first share a series of videos taken over the festive period where I managed to set up a large oval of flexitrack - whilst a fully functioning layout is a long way off, this feels like a small step in the right direction. I've been wanting to do this for a while in order to give my wagon sets a good run and appreciate the results of my modelling.

I've uploaded the videos to flickr and linked them here so just follow the links and view. I am considering making a Youtube channel to make this kind of thing easier though.

I can only apologise for the low depth of field in these phone shots!

Video 1 - Colas 70811 and 3x Lobsters (MXA) + 8x Falcons (JNA, MLA)

https://www.flickr.com/gp/196835966@N03/E15XQ35x52

Video 2 - Ex EWS 66088 and 12x Bass (OAA, OBA, OCA)

https://www.flickr.com/gp/196835966@N03/rxTS6aiX58

Video 3 - Ex EWS 66088 and the loaded FZA Super Salmon + 2x RRA Runners + 2x OCA

https://www.flickr.com/gp/196835966@N03/drE72RD8fJ

Video 4 - GBRf 66701 and 8x Salmons (FDA, YWA)

https://www.flickr.com/gp/196835966@N03/wJj73V1Li5

Video 5 - EWS 60026 and 29x Coalfish (MFA, MHA, MPA, MTA)

https://www.flickr.com/gp/196835966@N03/2pg91M46Z1

On a whole I was quite impressed with the running qualities even round the curves and it was fantastic to see nearly all of my wagons put to use in nice long formations. It wasn't without derailments, trains splitting in two, and locomotives slipping under the weight though and several wagons have since been adjusted to improve running quality.

Hope you enjoyed seeing something exciting and a bit different and look out for my current projects in part 2.

Edited by EWS60065
  • Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1

Looking good mate! All very nice rakes! 

I particularly like the bass rake! Incredibly lifelike! Your coalfish rake, will you will be adding any of the Accurascale later type MHA’s?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

@WCML100Thank you! I plan to get some more accurascale ones but they are a bit of a pain to set up for Kadees in that the NEM pockets wobble up and down. I mentioned it in a previous post and I've had to modify them by adding a bar to stop the couplings being forced upwards when under tension (which would de couple the train). They are lovely wagons though so would love to get some more. 

Also thinking of stocking up on some of the Hornby ones as Kernow are doing them for a very very competitive price! 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, EWS60065 said:

@WCML100Thank you! I plan to get some more accurascale ones but they are a bit of a pain to set up for Kadees in that the NEM pockets wobble up and down. I mentioned it in a previous post and I've had to modify them by adding a bar to stop the couplings being forced upwards when under tension (which would de couple the train). They are lovely wagons though so would love to get some more. 

Also thinking of stocking up on some of the Hornby ones as Kernow are doing them for a very very competitive price! 

Nice! I sold my Hornby ones as I anticipate Accurascale will release the early body type sooner or later and the Hornby ones will be no match in comparison especially with the quality on the under frames! 

• Like 1

@WCML100Fair enough, don't think I'll be doing that as I quite like the Hornby ones myself but I do get that the Accura ones will be higher quality. Would be great to see the brake rod present if they do any future releases, that would be the cherry on the cake!

• Like 1

January Update Part 2

As promised, here's a look at some of the loco and wagon projects over the past few weeks or so.

60065 Project

The idea to create a model of my namesake loco came to me a few weeks ago and given I already had a Hornby model of 60026 in EWS livery, I started soon after and it's been in works throughout January. This project also seems fitting given the latest news on class 60s. Here's the model before:

20211230_134853.jpg.5c06ac7c440e5261e11c4b629bf86f90.jpg

As you may know, 60026 now runs with GBRf and has not seen the EWS livery for many years. This meant that the model was not really suitable for my 2015-2018 modelling period.

The first stage was to upgrade the existing TTS sound speaker I had installed with a bass enchanced speaker. This fits nicely over the engine block for maximum authenticity!

20240109_164633.jpg.301b555f88b55ccc6f421b19339a0125.jpg

On to renumbering and I removed the existing branding with IPA before applying the Railtec transfers including DB emblems on the cab sides and fronts.

20240110_123058.jpg.1a0e111a64661a696d019ea7d2d8d439.jpg

20240110_143502.jpg.921055272d18fac8e832125afdc3dadc.jpg

Nameplates courtesy of Fox Transfers. I then got on to the weathering - the bogies are treated with an all over track grime colour followed by drybrushing to highlight the incredible detail of this model.

20240120_123708.jpg.46f4b2c089237c558ee90458d37c576d.jpg

After removing it from the chassis and masking the windows, the body was treated to a couple of coats of Mr Super Clear matt varnish which took away the glossy effect. I decided to for a light weathering on the body based on photos. I firstly went over the panel lines with a MIG enamel wash to add extra depth. Another coat was applied with the same stuff but this time adding streaking effects. Exhaust areas were treated with black weathering powders and the whole body received a final matt varnish to seal it all in place.

20240121_104759.jpg.1d13727c2dc5f9e11553047564ade4dc.jpg

20240121_125835.jpg.5723f8823388e3281ca0a3e40b88d46d.jpg

I'm very happy with the results and it's great to bring my 60 up to date with a more recent example.

Flangeway Salmons

I got round to weathering these earlier in the month - I just used my usual method as applied to the Cambrian salmons so nothing out of this world. However, when I have a lot of wagons to turn out I can't afford to spend hours finessing each and every one. The great thing is, like my coalfish, I can keep coming back to them and adding more weathering detail. When compared to the vibrant shades they arrived in, they certainly fit in properly now!

YWAs

YWAs

YWAs

YWAs

Other stuff!

Another JNA and another MXA have joined the fleet, gradually increasing both Falcon and Lobster rakes! I have weathered the JNA but the MXA remains pristine at the moment so look out for that one later.

MHA and JNA

You'll also notice a Hornby MHA - I've started to add my usual improvements like ballast leftovers and painted wheel faces.

MHA and JNA

MHA and JNA

Work will continue to add more weathering and individuality to the bodywork. If that wasn't enough, 3 more arrived recently, bringing the coalfish to an impressive 33! I promise some more Accurascale ones will be seen in the rake too, just keeping an eye out of offers and bargains.

20240118_120920.jpg.10e4b68856f2d18ee0baaecdc39fe876.jpg

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

• RMweb Gold

Very nice job on 60065.

With the Coalfish have you thought about doing one of the ex MAA batch for something a little different in the rake?  Not a particularly difficult job to convert from the original (incorrect) Hornby model.

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, EWS60065 said:

@The Fatadder Thank you, recently I've been trying to get some more uniformity in the coalfish rake to balance out the interesting selection of MTAs 😅

However if I can get one dirt cheap I'd like to have a go at an ex MAA type. 

I may be able to help with that, will have a look.....

19 hours ago, EWS60065 said:

January Update Part 2

As promised, here's a look at some of the loco and wagon projects over the past few weeks or so.

60065 Project

The idea to create a model of my namesake loco came to me a few weeks ago and given I already had a Hornby model of 60026 in EWS livery, I started soon after and it's been in works throughout January. This project also seems fitting given the latest news on class 60s. Here's the model before:

20211230_134853.jpg.5c06ac7c440e5261e11c4b629bf86f90.jpg

As you may know, 60026 now runs with GBRf and has not seen the EWS livery for many years. This meant that the model was not really suitable for my 2015-2018 modelling period.

The first stage was to upgrade the existing TTS sound speaker I had installed with a bass enchanced speaker. This fits nicely over the engine block for maximum authenticity!

20240109_164633.jpg.301b555f88b55ccc6f421b19339a0125.jpg

On to renumbering and I removed the existing branding with IPA before applying the Railtec transfers including DB emblems on the cab sides and fronts.

20240110_123058.jpg.1a0e111a64661a696d019ea7d2d8d439.jpg

20240110_143502.jpg.921055272d18fac8e832125afdc3dadc.jpg

Nameplates courtesy of Fox Transfers. I then got on to the weathering - the bogies are treated with an all over track grime colour followed by drybrushing to highlight the incredible detail of this model.

20240120_123708.jpg.46f4b2c089237c558ee90458d37c576d.jpg

After removing it from the chassis and masking the windows, the body was treated to a couple of coats of Mr Super Clear matt varnish which took away the glossy effect. I decided to for a light weathering on the body based on photos. I firstly went over the panel lines with a MIG enamel wash to add extra depth. Another coat was applied with the same stuff but this time adding streaking effects. Exhaust areas were treated with black weathering powders and the whole body received a final matt varnish to seal it all in place.

20240121_104759.jpg.1d13727c2dc5f9e11553047564ade4dc.jpg

20240121_125835.jpg.5723f8823388e3281ca0a3e40b88d46d.jpg

I'm very happy with the results and it's great to bring my 60 up to date with a more recent example.

Flangeway Salmons

I got round to weathering these earlier in the month - I just used my usual method as applied to the Cambrian salmons so nothing out of this world. However, when I have a lot of wagons to turn out I can't afford to spend hours finessing each and every one. The great thing is, like my coalfish, I can keep coming back to them and adding more weathering detail. When compared to the vibrant shades they arrived in, they certainly fit in properly now!

YWAs

YWAs

YWAs

YWAs

Other stuff!

Another JNA and another MXA have joined the fleet, gradually increasing both Falcon and Lobster rakes! I have weathered the JNA but the MXA remains pristine at the moment so look out for that one later.

MHA and JNA

You'll also notice a Hornby MHA - I've started to add my usual improvements like ballast leftovers and painted wheel faces.

MHA and JNA

MHA and JNA

Work will continue to add more weathering and individuality to the bodywork. If that wasn't enough, 3 more arrived recently, bringing the coalfish to an impressive 33! I promise some more Accurascale ones will be seen in the rake too, just keeping an eye out of offers and bargains.

20240118_120920.jpg.10e4b68856f2d18ee0baaecdc39fe876.jpg

Great work as always mate! The 60 is one of the best Jag recreations I have seen attempted! 

JNA / MHA look great as ever with your box wagons! 

The salmons, wow! They look incredible. That reminds me, I need to start work on mine! Not like I have 100 projects already on the go already! lol

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

February Update

Long time since the last update, haven't done too much modelling but a few things are gradually being worked through as well as a new non wagon project!

Firstly, I've finished my improvements on the four Hornby MHA Coalfish shown last time - this includes redoing the interior, adding extra weathering/markings, and painting the wheelfaces and buffer shanks. Really happy with the results on these given the simplicity of the work done. I definitely recommend carrying out such improvements to your Hornby and Accurascale MHA wagons.

Hornby Coalfish

Hornby Coalfish

Hornby Coalfish

Hornby Coalfish

Hornby Coalfish

Hornby Coalfish

Hornby Coalfish

A distinctive feature of these wagons is the patch painted red or black areas on the ribs and around the data panels. I've also gone over the axleboxes in various shades of red and black to imitate a well maintained look. The ballast used is from Attwood aggregates (mendip limestone) and it leaves a nice amount of dust around it when applied to the wagon interiors. Some of this was brushed away while the rest stuck to the slightly sticky paint layer underneath.

Balfour Beatty BDA

This is finally finished! I recently plucked up the courage to cut all 48 chains to length and glue them on the beams. It's a nice unique wagon to tag on to the back of mixed engineering trains, providing a splash of colour.

Balfour BDA

Balfour BDA

Balfour BDA

Class 158s

These are the first every passenger units to feature here and will be seen running past my proposed marshalling yard. To add some context, the planned layout will be set in the east of Somerset and inspired by yards such as Westbury, Eastleigh, Hinksey, Hoo Jn, Bescot etc. (but smaller!). There will be a double track mainline and a small station just past the yard so there will be a need for some passenger trains. I currently have three 158s in the works at the moment, all for different reasons.

No.1 158884 South West Trains

20240224_125613.jpg.6f72acfb361446f4099ec7ed84ea84f2.jpg

This is a lovely model and is awaiting a light weathering on the underframe and roof. Other than that it is ready to go!

No.2 Soon to be 158885 South West Trains Revised

20240224_125539.jpg.3cd1de8c03237ddb1963bb093c96ba87.jpg

This is an old tooling 159 that was converted to a 158 before I bought it. I have partially redone the livery to represent the newer SWT livery carried from 2017 and just started the weathering. Transfers will come soon. While not as impressive as the newer tooling, this will still be a welcome member of the fleet. Another thing to note is the addition of BSI couplers meaning this unit can run in multiple.

No.3 .....

20240224_125704.jpg.7abf7ae7e087ebaf03ea2c80e652d7f1.jpg

Well this is an odd looking 158 😅

So this one was bought in Regional Rail livery (new tooling) however I have removed the body shells and currently waiting on some spare GWR bodies from Bachmann spares! I'm yet to decide whether I will renumber it. The idea of swapping over bodies was inspired by @Bearwood West Yard and his class 159 project.

Both the GWR and SWT liveries fit nicely with the region and time period (2015-2018) however I also wouldn't say no to an XC Voyager for longer distance services. More on these units next time.

Swordfish Wagons

Instead of building up the fleet of Falcon wagons I foolishly decided to start another ballast rake - MOA Swordfish. I've been eyeing these up over the past year and eventually succumbed and got hold of 5x Bachmann MOAs. While these wagons don't often venture down south it's not unheard of and since I really like the appearance of them I couldn't resist. I may also consider adding some MCAs/MDAs from Dapol if I could make some major improvements to them.

Here are some of them - they're all identical at the moment and factory weathered. Look out for some EWS60065 treatment on these soon!

20240224_125135.jpg.4cd30b5204f61bf76cc13075ddacc8d9.jpg

That's all for now, hopefully I'll get another update out a bit sooner.

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5
  • Round of applause 1

Great update! Will be interesting to see how the 158’s turn out! The Balfour beatty wagon will certainly be unique, and does look great!

the MHA’s look fantastic too! Certainly need to start work on my accurascale ones too! 

Keep up the good work mate!

• Thanks 1

Some amazing work again. The BB BDA really looks amazing and is definitely something different. I've managed to pick up 2 Hornby SAA wagons in the hope of turning them into RRA wagons, if I can find the courage to do them as I've never done anything like it before but they would be great to go alongside the Mullets.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Cracking work! Loving the weathering on the MHA’s, I think this has to be the most life-like weathering I’ve seen on them. Balfour Beatty BDA looks brilliant! Top quality work as always! Glad my 159 rebodying project has given you inspiration!
How much were the GWR 158 bodies direct from Bachmann? Giving me ideas now! 

• Thanks 1

@Bearwood West Yard Cheers, £46 each. Didn't think that was too crazy given the detail and finishing on them. Especially given the sound fitted GWR units are rare and very expensive on their own! I also got some of the correct air dams to go on but they are Scotrail blue so will need repainting.