EWS60065's Modern-ish Wagon Projects (Weathering, Modifying, Scratchbuilds)

NTC FEA-B Wagons

I've been doing some more work on my Balfour Beatty FEA-B sleeper carriers recently. As previosuly shown, these are made from the Dapol model with 3D printed modules. These have now arrived and the photos show a rough test before I spray them and permanently fix on to the wagon.

20231113_125634.jpg.7f67ae788e0106e4afd4cd443ecfe1e5.jpg

These have come out very nicely . I sent off for them to be printed in resin - a more costly option but it gives a far superior finish and detail level compared to PLA.

20231113_125553.jpg.d047c1f0fd31289b4a480fbcaaf04766.jpg

20231113_125559.jpg.5d94dd869404f72dacce458f9e9f9dc8.jpg

The wagon has been painted prior to fitting the panels to make things a lot easier. I was able to use my grey primer for this since the prototype wagons carry a grey livery. The weathering was then applied straight over the primer and decals added once dry.

20231113_125650.jpg.c001ab59a275eeadbc05487c38632520.jpg

I've got to say that the Dapol FEAs are stunningly detailed models, especially given their age! I now need to clean up the modules and get them sprayed into blue. There are also some extra details to be fabricated from plastic and balsa wood.

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

21 hours ago, EWS60065 said:

NTC FEA-B Wagons

I've been doing some more work on my Balfour Beatty FEA-B sleeper carriers recently. As previosuly shown, these are made from the Dapol model with 3D printed modules. These have now arrived and the photos show a rough test before I spray them and permanently fix on to the wagon.

20231113_125634.jpg.7f67ae788e0106e4afd4cd443ecfe1e5.jpg

These have come out very nicely . I sent off for them to be printed in resin - a more costly option but it gives a far superior finish and detail level compared to PLA.

20231113_125553.jpg.d047c1f0fd31289b4a480fbcaaf04766.jpg

20231113_125559.jpg.5d94dd869404f72dacce458f9e9f9dc8.jpg

The wagon has been painted prior to fitting the panels to make things a lot easier. I was able to use my grey primer for this since the prototype wagons carry a grey livery. The weathering was then applied straight over the primer and decals added once dry.

20231113_125650.jpg.c001ab59a275eeadbc05487c38632520.jpg

I've got to say that the Dapol FEAs are stunningly detailed models, especially given their age! I now need to clean up the modules and get them sprayed into blue. There are also some extra details to be fabricated from plastic and balsa wood.

Quality work there mate. Very impressive! the FEA’s really do look good in B beatty livery. Looking forward to seeing these finsihed!

What formations did they run in?

• Like 1

@WCML100 Thank you 😊

I'm really happy with how the prints have turned out - they look even nicer now I've sprayed them in blue! 

They run as part of the NTC train which has a variety of interesting machinery based on FEA-Ds at either end. They carry the sleepers which are lifted off in some way. However more recently the seem to have been used on their own, whether that be going to a yard to be refilled or sometimes even to a possession like Salmons. Think there is a photo of a pair of them mixed with KFAs and YWAs etc. 

• Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, EWS60065 said:

@WCML100 Thank you 😊

I'm really happy with how the prints have turned out - they look even nicer now I've sprayed them in blue! 

They run as part of the NTC train which has a variety of interesting machinery based on FEA-Ds at either end. They carry the sleepers which are lifted off in some way. However more recently the seem to have been used on their own, whether that be going to a yard to be refilled or sometimes even to a possession like Salmons. Think there is a photo of a pair of them mixed with KFAs and YWAs etc. 

looks forward to seeing the tops all painted and done! 

that’s interesting regarding the workings. Will you be doing a second pair to match?

• 4 weeks later...

December Update

Apologies for the lack of posts recently, I've been chipping away at various projects and have very recently received some exciting new wagons!

Balfour Beatty FEA-B Set

I completed these back in November but decided to save up the pictures to put in a bigger update. Since last shown, I have sprayed the track carriers into blue and mounted them on the wagons as well as adding some important details. Very happy with the results but will I do another set? Maybe not for a little while 😄

FEA-B Twin Set

FEA-B Twin Set

FEA-B Twin Set

FEA-B Twin Set

FEA-B Twin Set

Bachmann MXA Weathering

A while ago I promised another weathered MXA and here it is. I went for a slightly heavier approach compared to my first two and I prefer the more toned down appearance. I may add some more fading to the others to match.

MXA

MXA

MXA

Metal Sleeper Loads

I did these ages ago but they seem to have escaped the forum! These are separated from Peco code 75 steel sleeper track and mounted on card bases. They can be loaded transverse in an SPA (below) or lengthways in OCA/OBA/OAA wagons. I have 8 of these loads in total.

20231106_123932.jpg.588769194e0a848ea7d8581f8d93ee8e.jpg

Balfour Beatty BDA

I still haven't got myself any fine chain to add to the beams so this wagon remains incomplete! I thought I'd show where I've got to anyway though - the main wagon is essentially complete and painted.

20231105_182726.jpg.6c4d0b1dbf84564d794927822c93ec1a.jpg

Flangeway YWA Salmons

Now, you may recall that I ordered 3 of these back in October and I've been quite excited to see them ever since. The wagons arrived yesterday so I thought I'd include them in my main update before I weather them. I went for all 3 YWA coded versions.

20231210_095550.jpg.811f3de78ca7526b5bb54cbab4a7c97c.jpg

First impressions, they are really heavy and solid. This is essential for such a low profile wagon prone to derailments. The detailing is nicely defined and the livery application is fantastic, with a rich coat of paint and finely printed lettering. Another thing to note is that the sprung coupling mechanism is nice and loose so I can be sure it won't pull any other wagons off the corners!

20231210_095629.jpg.b599e64c3950829dd1c5addd61c09726.jpg

20231210_095612.jpg.42ae4b258f09f3f9587ece414e388b42.jpg

Fortunately they ride at the same height as my Cambrian YWAs and yes, they are the same length too. Can't wait to get them very dirty!

Rapido OAA

I originally planned not to buy any of these as I already have my detailed Hornby one and wooden OAAs weren't very common in my period of modelling.

However I just couldn't resist after seeing them in person and I bit the bullet, going for the Railfreight red version with 2 red planks and black headstocks. I plan to give this a good weathering treatment using methods from my OBAs so that it truely blends in.

20231210_100006.jpg.7a30ae61fcad707da5635f28a400eb76.jpg

20231210_100024.jpg.571744d17bf3a1bc48a9b993544b7172.jpg

The detail is just stunning underneath, puts my offering to shame 😄

Anyway, thanks for reading and look out for more, because there is some interesting stuff to follow...

• Like 15
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

Great weathering on the MXA wagon and the Balfour Beatty FEA has turned out amazing. Can't wait to see the Salmons weathered, I didn't realise they had done the YWA and YSA so have got both but I'm sure they still run together, may be tempted to pick up a few more. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

@Shaun66 Thanks Shaun, the YWA and YSA codes were only visible if you zoomed in on the livery samples online! They are exactly the same wagon so you're fine running them together. The YSAs were gradually recoded as YWAs in the early 2000s and I don't think there are any differences between the two types now. 

23 minutes ago, EWS60065 said:

@Shaun66 Thanks Shaun, the YWA and YSA codes were only visible if you zoomed in on the livery samples online! They are exactly the same wagon so you're fine running them together. The YSAs were gradually recoded as YWAs in the early 2000s and I don't think there are any differences between the two types now. 

I'm sure  no one will notice when the wagons running anyway, especially once it's been weathered. One thing I have noticed is the handbrake wheels are the same on each end but the real ones have different types at each end. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, EWS60065 said:

I don't think all the examples are like that (might be the case with the Ospreys though)?

Just had a further look and does appear it varies, also some have steps on the side as well. Hopefully some more variations will follow to add a bit of variety.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, EWS60065 said:

I don't think all the examples are like that (might be the case with the Ospreys though)?

Ospreys do seem to have odd handbrake wheels. All my pics are on Martin Read's smugmug site

• Like 1

3 hours ago, EWS60065 said:

December Update

Apologies for the lack of posts recently, I've been chipping away at various projects and have very recently received some exciting new wagons!

Balfour Beatty FEA-B Set

I completed these back in November but decided to save up the pictures to put in a bigger update. Since last shown, I have sprayed the track carriers into blue and mounted them on the wagons as well as adding some important details. Very happy with the results but will I do another set? Maybe not for a little while 😄

FEA-B Twin Set

FEA-B Twin Set

FEA-B Twin Set

FEA-B Twin Set

FEA-B Twin Set

Bachmann MXA Weathering

A while ago I promised another weathered MXA and here it is. I went for a slightly heavier approach compared to my first two and I prefer the more toned down appearance. I may add some more fading to the others to match.

MXA

MXA

MXA

Metal Sleeper Loads

I did these ages ago but they seem to have escaped the forum! These are separated from Peco code 75 steel sleeper track and mounted on card bases. They can be loaded transverse in an SPA (below) or lengthways in OCA/OBA/OAA wagons. I have 8 of these loads in total.

20231106_123932.jpg.588769194e0a848ea7d8581f8d93ee8e.jpg

Balfour Beatty BDA

I still haven't got myself any fine chain to add to the beams so this wagon remains incomplete! I thought I'd show where I've got to anyway though - the main wagon is essentially complete and painted.

20231105_182726.jpg.6c4d0b1dbf84564d794927822c93ec1a.jpg

Flangeway YWA Salmons

Now, you may recall that I ordered 3 of these back in October and I've been quite excited to see them ever since. The wagons arrived yesterday so I thought I'd include them in my main update before I weather them. I went for all 3 YWA coded versions.

20231210_095550.jpg.811f3de78ca7526b5bb54cbab4a7c97c.jpg

First impressions, they are really heavy and solid. This is essential for such a low profile wagon prone to derailments. The detailing is nicely defined and the livery application is fantastic, with a rich coat of paint and finely printed lettering. Another thing to note is that the sprung coupling mechanism is nice and loose so I can be sure it won't pull any other wagons off the corners!

20231210_095629.jpg.b599e64c3950829dd1c5addd61c09726.jpg

20231210_095612.jpg.42ae4b258f09f3f9587ece414e388b42.jpg

Fortunately they ride at the same height as my Cambrian YWAs and yes, they are the same length too. Can't wait to get them very dirty!

Rapido OAA

I originally planned not to buy any of these as I already have my detailed Hornby one and wooden OAAs weren't very common in my period of modelling.

However I just couldn't resist after seeing them in person and I bit the bullet, going for the Railfreight red version with 2 red planks and black headstocks. I plan to give this a good weathering treatment using methods from my OBAs so that it truely blends in.

20231210_100006.jpg.7a30ae61fcad707da5635f28a400eb76.jpg

20231210_100024.jpg.571744d17bf3a1bc48a9b993544b7172.jpg

The detail is just stunning underneath, puts my offering to shame 😄

Anyway, thanks for reading and look out for more, because there is some interesting stuff to follow...

Wow a packed full update mate!

Balfour Beatty FEA’s are top notch mate and look great now they’re finished! The 3D prints look really good and really make a difference once all painted! A unique model for sure - Deffo needs a second set to match!

The metal sleeper loads look good, I am currently weighing up options for my bass loads - this is great inspiration! Which is the number of the SPA pictured? Looks like 460272. @Chris37044 is planning to model that one for a rake on Greenford!

The BDA looks good too, looking forward to seeing that progress. The Rapido OAA look great, had a close up look at some during my trip to my local model shop this week. Quality detailed wagon! Tempted to get one and hack the sides off for a mesh sided conversion! If not I may get an EWS example once they hit the shelves! The Flangeway Salmons look great, looking forward to seeing you tackle them with your weathering! 

Keep up the good work 👍🏻

• Like 1

@WCML100

Thanks very much, worth the wait! 

I would like to do more of the FEAs, it's just too soon to contemplate doing it all again haha. 

For bass loads you'll most likely need all sorts of stuff so pipes, concrete sleepers, S&C parts, gravel bags etc. 

The SPA most certainly is no. 272 based on some pics of it running a couple of years ago. My other SPA is no. 884 in EWS. They featured in an early post and they'll be used in engineering trains. 

Love the mesh OAA idea, sounds risky though 😂 If we ever see the OAAs reduced I may consider getting one to convert into a runner wagon since the chassis is so good! 

• Like 1

Excellent work on the Balfour Beatty FEA-B’s!! For cheap FEA-B’s, keep an eye on EBay for listings. I paid £47 on eBay for two FEA-B pairs back in March. 

The resin printed carriers really do look the part! To help keep costs down, I’d recommend idealising how many FEA-B sets you’d like to have and printing all the carriers for them, that way you have them all ready to go and just need to work the wagons as and when you get them. I did this with my Cambrian Ospreys, I’ve still got some 3D printed stanchions somewhere.

I don’t think I’ve seen the BB version of the FEA-B’s modelled before so excellent work on these - whether they run as a set with future wagons or within other consists ‘between yards’, they will look at home on any layout!

Beautiful weathering on the MXA and lovely to see the BB BDA looking lovely and crisp! A mighty fine job! 

• Like 2

@Bearwood West Yard

Thanks a lot for the kind comments :) 

I managed to get my FEAs for £30, I'll keep an eye out on ebay. I wanted to try out the carriers first incase they weren't how I expected, now I know they work I'll probably order a load more next time as you say. 

For now I'll use the FEA with the Salmons until I get anymore (I saw a photo of one within a possession train interestingly). 

Edited by EWS60065
  • Like 1

With Salmon and Osprey the only way to model the handbrake wheels accurately is to have a photo of both sides. As they get damaged, the wheels get replaced, often of a different style to the one removed. I've seen wagons with 4 different style of wheel on one wagon.

Jo

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

Hornby SAA Conversion

Another little project not even mentioned in last time's mega update!

I got hold of a Hornby SAA recently in order to make another runner wagon for my Super Salmon (or Mullets when they come out). The original plan was to create two of the ex OBA type runner wagons from Cambrian kits, however this seemed quite an undertaking. I opted to go for one of the ex OBA types and one of the ex SAA types to reduce the workload.

Followers may remember I have already converted one Hornby SAA chassis into a runner wagon last year, so I aimed to improve upon the process this time.

20231211_124314.jpg.018cdb345e53d79d538c637f0a7ce6e0.jpg

The main problems with this model surround the ride height and the headstocks. It sits too high to enable the wheels to swivel, however the buffers are understandably placed at the correct height. This meant that lowering the ride height made the buffers far too low! Therefore brand new headstocks were needed.

I did attempt to retain the floor moulding and sand off the bolsters, however this didn't end well.....

With the buffers hacked off and the grey floor moulding removed, the first stage was to remove the wheel units and permanently glue them into place.

20231211_174011.jpg.abd4fd7ef26e75705bd2a9bddf33238f.jpg

Plastruct spacers are added so that they sit at the right height. These also hide the gap above the springs.

20231212_151039.jpg.a10f1e8481ea69e975eae964dd9f1c5b.jpg

This is a better ride height now.

The new headstocks were cut out of 40 thou plasticard and holes for Lanarkshire Model Supplies buffers drilled out.

20231212_153952.jpg.254176da3597915d4ebd111e271ed482.jpg

20231212_202420.jpg.fdf69c7701f374b2e6d1c755025eff92.jpg

The sides are then brought out with more plastruct sections, creating an overhang. This makes way for a balsa wood floor.

20231215_151722.jpg.d31b72f3e4a3ccf65a365c7c0b633056.jpg

Some of the underframe details seen here.

Here is the result, based on RRA 400003 which still retains its old bolsters!

RRA 400003

RRA 400003

RRA 400003

RRA 400003

Thanks for reading!

Edited by EWS60065
  • Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2