Katharine St. - A BR(s) suburban terminus in fiNescale

Lacathedrale

Lets just say with charity, I can understand the shift to integrated chairs...

image.png.03b2ac10a0b342337eb5cd6b73439361.png

Thankfully, this is 'just' a test, being a spare B6 turnout that got added to the order. I didn't enjoy this one bit, I'm afraid!  I need to remove the rails and add a joggle on the straight stock rail, and a set on the curved stock rail - or at least remember to do it with the 'real' ones. At least I remembered to wire up the frog, eh?

I used my Rails of Sheffield gift card for a cheeky 50' LMS BG - which is, strictly speaking, a little too early for my period - and placed preorders for a centre code class 37 and class 33 'Burma Star'. I know Burma star was technically based in Hither Green, but it was the first loco I was bought as a kid by my dad - and when I moved to Lee, I used to lay in bed listening to trains go by on the Hither Green to Grove Park stretch on the embankment behind my bedroom. I can't guarantee it was Burma Star but it's about as close to a personal relationship I have with a prototype as I think I'm ever going to have!

Edited by Lacathedrale
  • Like 3

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, eastwestdivide said:

And a bit of re-bogie-ing?

Just the TBSK, the others are on B4's..... They should really be B5(S)'s, which are a bit beefier, but hardly noticeable in 2mm.... Just the extra damper detail that needs adding really, but again, might be a bit fiddly to add in 2mm.

Edited by Geep7
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

A friend and I sorted out my garage for a layout (see my Edwardian Terminus thread in the pre-group section if you're interested) and the KS board needed to be shifted around a bit for this to happen. At the same time, Revolution trains announced their stone and sand-carrying MTV wagons. Combined, this means thoughts return to this layout. 

The baseboard was originally designed so that it could sit on top of a bookcase in my office, and be on show and enjoyed at all times. The fiddle yard extension would be removable and sit in the doorway when in operation. For some reason, I never thought to provision for the layout to be exhibited, despite the ease at which that would be achieved with slightly different board dimensions:

image.png.32a9f1dd03affdc258763b89e3566127.png

As a result I am wondering whether I should remake the boards as a pair of 3- or 4-foot units so that it will be POTENTIALLY exhibitable.

@bécasse made some interesting comments about whether the Central Croydon track layout would have survived very long if it had stayed open (the answer was no), and having seen @Izzy's fantastic Priory Road, I am wondering whether taking inspiration from more modern stations and superimposing those features onto the original KS site, surrounding and structures. I think it could be a compelling, and maybe more appropriate interpretation of how the station would have survived into the pre-sectorisation era than simply re-using the original track plan.

So overall, the concept is alive, but I think I need to start again for the actual implementation.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Thank you for the very kind comments regarding Priory Road. I've followed your trials and tribulations with your layout ideas with much interest. There is I think, at the end of the day, often no ideal solution and some compromise is always neccessary. Although I have been modelling for many years, and have made a few fairly successful layouts over that time, none have been based on an actual prototype. This is because I've never had the space to make anything more than of minimal size. I think doing as I have with PR in basing it on a location to help define the train types and services, but using features common to the company and era you are trying to model, while arranging the track design to suit what space you have, can produce a useful outcome. In fact this is exactly what the late Peter Denny did with the Buckingham branch so I think we are in good company here.

Bob

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Lacathedrale said:

@bécasse made some interesting comments about whether the Central Croydon track layout would have survived very long if it had stayed open (the answer was no), and having seen @Izzy's fantastic Priory Road, I am wondering whether taking inspiration from more modern stations and superimposing those features onto the original KS site, surrounding and structures. I think it could be a compelling, and maybe more appropriate interpretation of how the station would have survived into the pre-sectorisation era than simply re-using the original track plan.

So overall, the concept is alive, but I think I need to start again for the actual implementation.

Just an idea in my head, but if it had survived into the 1980's.

One of the reasons for the closure of the station was to enable high street to be widened, so you could create a model based off that. Rename the layout as "Croydon High street" with a single platform face sighted slightly to the east of the original, but still keeping the retaining wall. A runaround loop would be provided for loco hauled trains, with parcels trains using a kick back connection to a depot the other side of Park lane bridge. The depot building itself could provide a useful scenic break to the fiddle yard.

Edited by simon b
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1