RMweb

Edinburgh toy shop owner warned of stock shortages in Christmas run-up

JohnR

• RMweb Premium

Yes I saw that too . What surprised me was there was a toy shop selling Hornby in Edinburgh . The two places I know about are Harburns and Wonderland on Lothian Road .

The issue seemed to be not enough HGV drivers to make deliveries . Actually if you look at supermarket shelves  while not empty , there are occasional gaps .  Same issue I think and the "Pingdemic"

Edited by Legend
remembered name Wonderland

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Legend said:

Yes I saw that too . What surprised me was there was a toy shop selling Hornby in Edinburgh . The two places I know about are Harburns and Wonderland on Lothian Road .

The issue seemed to be not enough HGV drivers to make deliveries . Actually if you look at supermarket shelves  while not empty , there are occasional gaps .  Same issue I think and the "Pingdemic"

Certainly the ranges seem to be reduced, so presumably supermarkets are just concentrating on their best selling lines. 

• Agree 1

Apart from the fact that saleries & conditions for HGV drivers are poor there are a couple of other factors contributing to the shortages.

The HGV labour pool consists or a large proportion of old farts (I can say that because I am an old fart & HGV driver myself) who are retiring & there is no young blood to replace them.

Also, a lot of HGV drivers ran their own Limited Companies responsible for their own tax, both personal & corporate. They were paid without tax deductions. HMRC closed this system earlier this year, accelerating the drivers retiring & many, many Easter European Drivers simply went back to their native countries.

There will be shortages of most things this winter, not just because of shortages in physical stock, but the means of getting it to the stores.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

It probably also doesn't help if it's difficult getting driving tests within a reasonable time.

Even when commercial vehicle operators are able to arrange driving tests themselves (for example, I suspect that some large bus companies might do this), actually getting occupational driving licences issued is reputed to also be an issue.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, JohnR said:

Certainly the ranges seem to be reduced, so presumably supermarkets are just concentrating on their best selling lines. 

Not necessarily - it seems to be more a case of stocking whatever brands they can get, as some of the suppliers can't deliver whether due to staff sickness through covid / lorry driver shortages / container unavailability, though of course they are also having their own problems with driver shortages to the point that they are offering joining bonuses to new recruits.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Apart from the financial costs to qualify as an HGV driver there are a number of "hoops" to go through.

Step one.

Have a medical.

Step two.

Apply for provisional licence.

Step three.

Have lessons on driving a class two (ridgid).

Step four.

Pass test.

Step five.

Obtain Driver tacho Card.

Step six.

Spend five days in the classroom to take your CPC (Certificate of Prosfessional Competence) & wait for DVLA to send it to you.

Step seven.

Apply for job.

Step eight.

Driving assesment with prospective employer/induction ect.

Step none.

Start work.

Then, you may want to go for your class I (artic/drawbar)

In which case repeat steps three & four.

Even in these days of driver shortages not all employers will take you on if you are of a certain age & have some experience.

One or two "steps" may have changed since I went through the hoops.

Still fancy it ? Probably a minimum of £5k when you have taken everything into account.

Oh, & I forgot the initial step - long, long think about "do I really want to do this ?".

Edited by SamThomas