Creating Container Stacks

Hi,

I've been making some changes to my layout and I now need a stack of containers to represent a storage facility.

The stack is going to be made up of 16 x 10ft containers stacked 8 side by side and 2 high. The problem is that container kits are expensive and to by 16 containers worth would be costly, so I want an easier way to creating the stack. I don't want to use card kits as they have no relief, plus I want to paint them in a plain green or blue with no shipping line. 

In theory I only need to model the outer edges, front, rear and roof of the stack, but I can't think of a way of doing  that which won't involve buys lots of plastic strip!

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Simon

• RMweb Gold

I know you said you don’t want card kits but these look good 

https://www.scalemodelscenery.co.uk/ax145-oo-low-relief-stacked-40ft-shipping-containers-choice-of-designs---oo4mm176-10092-p.asp

Or is what you describe just modelling the ends rather than sides? 

https://www.scalemodelscenery.co.uk/ax146-oo-low-relief-stacked-shipping-containers-end-view--oo4mm176-10100-p.asp

Edited by big jim

4 hours ago, beast66606 said:

Simon,

Cut the containers in half and only use the real ones for the bits that can be seen

1 hour ago, big jim said:

Hi,

I think I haven't been clear on what I was describing:

1697587729_ContainerStack.JPG.b09d6c3ee49ad306228f17b15142147f.JPG

Effectively I want two stacks of containers either side of a road. Both stacks will have 8 containers side by side and then 2 containers high.

One stack will be mounted against the backscene and will be low relief and use the end view low relief Scale Model Scenery Kits that you mention BigJim.

The second stack has to be a full depth (10ft containers due to space constraints). Normally I would just get bog standard container kits and stack them, but to buy 16 of them is expensive, so I want a way of modelling this full depth stack cheaply and easily without using flat card kits. I basically need 12 container kits that only have the ends and roof (i.e., no sides).

Simon