RMweb

Gopher

On 18/06/2022 at 19:13, Gopher said:

Little hut at entrance to loco yard.  Used by crews to book locos in and out of the yard.

20220517_175455.jpg

Just love the authenticity of this little scene. Lovely modelling. Thanks for sharing. Andy R

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

On 20/06/2022 at 10:48, Gopher said:

Another view of the stub siding next to the turntable at Dewchurch loco shed 

IMG_5266.JPG

This is why I like the smaller layouts, the little corners that are filled with details, despite their not being much to see at first glance.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Coal merchants lorry meets BR steel open wagon.   The tufts of grass are actually not that bright on the layout, trick of the camera.  I should probably use some photo editing software to tweak my photos   

IMG_5235.JPG

IMG_5234.JPG

Edited by Gopher
  • Like 11

On 22/06/2022 at 08:11, Gopher said:

The lorry does fit through the gates (Just).

When I worked on London Underground, one of the young engineers was driving the office van on a hot summers day after a weekend shift. He decided to have the passenger side sliding door open to create a breeze. Unfortunately he hadn't undertaken a Gauge Assessment on his now wider vehicle. Consequently he had to walk back to retrieve the sliding door when the wider vehicle didn't fit through the width restriction on the way back to the office. . . . . . much merriment ensued on the Monday morning prior to the 'please explain' discussion with the office boss. 

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 3

Life is getting in the way of modelling at the mo. Started to landscape the drop board, false top added and plaster bandage embankments now painted in a horrible brown colour. 

I added a cattle creep under the embankment below the track bed.  After much deliberation I voted against (myself) a stepped embankment with retaining wall on the scenic break on the right.  Similarly with a tunnel mouth, so I installed a half relief girder bridge, with an embankment sweeping down to the lowest board.  O.K not much different to a tunnel mouth, but I think just looked better in this location.    I was worried that if this embankment was too steep it would look strange.  I think the landscaping, trees, bushes etc. -  will also help blend it in.    

Still undecided on what to put on the drop board, so temporarily positioned some agricultural buildings which I want to include somewhere on the layout.  I think I'll add the static grass and vegetation, trees etc -to the embankments, and then see if inspiration strikes with what I put  on the drop board.   Choice really comes down to fields, or a farm yard.   I don't want to clutter the remaining boards with too many buildings.  Decisions decisions 🙄    

20220701_132810.jpg

20220704_145748.jpg

20220701_132837.jpg

• Like 7

6 hours ago, MrWolf said:

That's a good bit of progress and takes me back to when my layout valley looked like the Somme. It all started to come together the minute the grass went down.

Thanks Rob - yes can't wait to start adding the grass and general vegetation.  Might get round to a bit of static grassing today 

With the magic of technology - here is the current state.  Numerous layers of different static grass , and Woodland Scenics turf/weeds etc. 

I need to walk away from it for a day or so, let it all dry out then see how it looks and whether more work is required (I dislike big colour contrasts, the camera on my phone does accentuate this at times) .  I might need to do more work where the yellow/brownish grass merges with the greener grass.  I might just add some bushes, foliage clusters etc -  to help with the transition.  

I will add trees, hedges, bushes in due course.    

20220705_161052.jpg

20220705_161058.jpg

Edited by Gopher
  • Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1

Added a bit more landscaping on the bank around the cattle creep.  Buildings are still temporarily positioned.  I need to work on the scenery at the back of this scene, and ballast the track 

20220707_081746.jpg

• Like 9

Just now, Graham T said:

That's coming together nicely now Clive.  The backscene looks somewhat familiar!

Thanks Graham - yes I think we are using the same backscene.  I am not totally sure but it looks like the Welsh Marches to me.  On part of it I think I can spot the Skirrid (just north of Abergavenny). 

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

A bit of further progress on landscaping this section.   Still loads to do including building a new Scale Model Scenery shed to occupy the space on the right of the farm yard. as well as railway fencing, scratch build a milk churn stand to sit by the yard gate,  add paving at the back of the farm house, ballasting and generally add more bushes, trees etc.       

20220708_165837.jpg

20220708_165855.jpg

20220708_165907.jpg

Edited by Gopher
  • Like 13

Latest photos of Monkton farm.  Still work in progress.  Just completed a new shed from Scale Model Scenery (on the right  in the first and second photos below)..  I used my usual methodology with laser cut MDF kits and covered the walls in a suitable Redutex stone covering, then weathered it to hopefully match the colour of the farmhouse. 

Still more scenic detail to add, but getting there slowly.  

IMG_5278.JPG

IMG_5284.JPG

IMG_5281.JPG

Edited by Gopher
  • Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4