Collett coach drawings and dimentions

• RMweb Premium

I fear this may be a how long is a piece of string question but I'm looking for accurate drawings/dimentions of windows, doors and spacing for Collett coaches, particularly of the 57' bow ended eg c54 corridor 3rd and similar types but also for k40 and h33 types.

I'm aware of the various GWS ones easily found but they say they aren't to scale and I have the Russell books (albeit at the back of a packed storage unit), but as I recall the drawings arent accurate either.

Before I head to Didcot clutching a tape measure, are there any scale drawings people know of?

I dont think that family is covered in the Wild Swan official drawings book 3 but a thought I had, were things such as door widths the same across different diagrams? Given I know the compartment size, I could reasonably estimate from that book if doors were common. 

Any guidance appreciated.

Edited by Hal Nail

• Hal Nail changed the title to Collett coach drawings and dimentions
  • RMweb Premium
28 minutes ago, Harlequin said:

Thank you. I think, on reflection, I've confused the Russell drawings which arent totally scale and these, which I've seen reproduced in various places and which do look more accurate. 

Will get up to Didcot anyway at some point as they have a few I plan to model in 7mm.

I am curious if, for example, my E140 B set compartment doors and windows turn out to be the same dimentions as the slightly earlier 57' bow ended corridor third, or whether everything was individual.

On the flush-sided windowed stock, sides are 3/16" thick. Radius for droplight opening = 2". Flush window corner radius = 2 1/4". Hinge thickness at base = 7/8". Hinge length = 3", or 3 1/2" over the bolt that runs up the length of the hinge.

Collett coach quarterlight windows and doors were highly standardised.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Miss Prism said:

On the flush-sided windowed stock, sides are 3/16" thick. Radius for droplight opening = 2". Flush window corner radius = 2 1/4". Hinge thickness at base = 7/8". Hinge length = 3", or 3 1/2" over the bolt that runs up the length of the hinge.

Collett coach quarterlight windows and doors were highly standardised.

Excellent thanks. Basically if there was consistency, I was planning to check the available drawings against my 7mm Lionheart B set E140 (aware you shouldn't rely on a model and that these are a slightly later build) and then produce replacement sides for a scratch built corridor 3rd, brake 3rd and a restaurant car, which are beautifully made but not quite right proportionally around the windows.

At £130 for the three, these will be very adequate layout coaches until I get anything better and the 7' bogies and brass rooves were worth that alone but I think replacement side overlays will improve them and all good practice for scratch building. As it happens I've just discovered they are all fractionally short at 56' over the corners so I'll have to draw up the closest approximation I can to fit rather than strictly 100%.

Edited by Hal Nail

The 'weight diagram' drawings are useful for the positioning of what are, effectively, standard combinations of parts. Any minor length differences seem to have been take up in the end toilets. I worked up a whole set of etch drawings for these some time ago. The Wild Swan book was invaluable in that respect.

• Informative/Useful 1