Unable to renmove Bachmann 40 Body from Chassis

As in the thread title. Currently about to go DCC and am sitting here with a Bachmann class 40 which does not wish to leave its chassis. There are 8 screws underneath of which only 3 have unscrewed sucessfuly. The screw driver is the right size but this is becoming very frustrating!

Anyone had any similar problems and overcome them?

As in the thread title. Currently about to go DCC and am sitting here with a Bachmann class 40 which does not wish to leave its chassis. There are 8 screws underneath of which only 3 have unscrewed sucessfuly. The screw driver is the right size but this is becoming very frustrating!

Anyone had any similar problems and overcome them?

Yes, sounds like the threads have stripped. What I did was try to exert some upward pressure on the bodyshell with one hand while unscrewing with the other. Worked for me on a number of Bachmann locos although in most instances only one screw had become stuck.

An alternative fix would be to junk the mis-shapen Bachmann shell and replace with a correct proportioned lima one!

Yes, sounds like the threads have stripped. What I did was try to exert some upward pressure on the bodyshell with one hand while unscrewing with the other. Worked for me on a number of Bachmann locos although in most instances only one screw had become stuck.

An alternative fix would be to junk the mis-shapen Bachmann shell and replace with a correct proportioned lima one!

Still had no luck with this one and just got a Bachmann 37 with the same problem. Curses!

If they are like this from new, return to dealer is one option.

As a DIY fix, if convinced that the thread is terminally stripped a technique that has worked for me is to truly strip the threads by putting the screwdriver bit in a power drill and giving each screw a fifteen second whizz; then either let the chassis drop out under its' own weight, or pull it out. The location holes can be refilled and redrilled and tapped if desired, but most Bach diesel bodies stay put without screws, if you don't need to regularly handle them.

Archived